Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus's Neil Armstrong at large

N/A

Plus Net's busy Call Centre

I keep seeing NA on TV!

He's turning into one of those wheel-them-in-tech-celebs (imagine Lector strapped to that wheely gurney but with a better haircut).

BBC's Click here [Real Player required]

Or just the comments here [11mb MPEG] (could some kind soul rehost that for me as it'll kill my BB+ account?)

He was talking about Deep Packet Inspection which sounds like something airport security might do to you if you set off a metal detector :lol:

Anyhoo, nice to see Plus getting some publicity and NA certainly comes over very well. A Bulldog rep described ISPs that packet shape as "...just brands...". Good programme that and it's worth watching the full video above or the repeats on News24 over the next day or so.
25 REPLIES
N/A

Isn't this just a rehash of the footage they used when there was the piece on Newsnight a few weeks back?
JonathanW
Grafter

Looking at the still shot, it does appear to have been filmed in the same office. So its potentially taken from the same interview as the previous footage.
N/A

Is he related to the couple who run UFit double glazing in Coventry? :lol:
N/A

Or even better is he related to Stelios from Bolton Wanderers? lol!

Maybe his long lost brother from Viking times or something :lol:
LiamM
Grafter

Just to point out, the tagline under that image at the beginning of the thread is a little misleading. The interview wasn't filmed at Plusnet's call centre. IIRC, it was at a BBC Radio Station offices.
N/A

I love the way he didnt actually say the peak times, maybe because he would have gotten torn to shread classing peak time as 9am till midnight. Or was that todays news?

I love the way he makes trafficing and managing sound like a good thing.
holdtight
Grafter

Plusnet spin, think he`s been taking notes from the politicians speech writers
N/A

Just to point out, the tagline under that image at the beginning of the thread is a little misleading. The interview wasn't filmed at Plusnet's call centre. IIRC, it was at a BBC Radio Station offices.

I was being sarcastic! Smiley
N/A

Traffic shaping is the only way that real time applications (voip, streaming media) is going to be succesful. The problem with the traffic shaping is that PN are still having issues with the traffic profiles.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Plusnet spin, think he`s been taking notes from the politicians speech writers

I would really love Plusnet to turn off the Ellacoyas for half an hour one evening just to prove to those sticking their heads in the sand what problems P2P causes. Email would stop. Web browsing would stop. VOIP would stop. Instant messaging would stop.

P2P is designed, by using many parallel connections to max out the connection. As soon as the Ellacoyas stopped managing the traffic the P2P traffic would take over all the resources.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Did anyone notice the inclusion of screenshots of the new VMBU and bandwidth usage graphs?

It also repeated the 'useful' information that file sharing of copyright material is illegal!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Yerp, the problems are not what PlusNet are trying to do - IMHO they've got a lot of things spot-on - but how they communicate and implement the changes.

Traffic Management, MaxDSL, LLU, they all can and should be good things for the customer - but PlusNet have dropped the ball on each and every one. Add in the other problems with routing, mail,, the portal, overal support quality, etc and we have signs of a huge failure within PlusNet.
octafish
Grafter

I would really love Plusnet to turn off the Ellacoyas for half an hour one evening just to prove to those sticking their heads in the sand what problems P2P causes.

Absolutely!

Ellacoya management has to be the way to go for ISPs, with the proviso that profiling is sorted out properly. My recommendation to PN, or any other ISP for that matter, would be to shift all P2P to PAYG only. That would sort this out once and for all. Cat amongst pigeons though.

Steve

In the process of moving from Premier to PAYG Smart Deal.
N/A

Thats a fairly good program, breaks it down so most unknowledgeable people could understand it, I like that program, although the use of bitcomet :s.

Still, interesting video