cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus nets deal on poor speeds Ticket 19990545

N/A

I felt this one now deserves a full airing on the forum as its a good discussion point. When i first started with plus net my broadband speed tests were kicking out about 900kb/s which isnt exactly great. Then a month later it slowed down to around 400kb/s now its down at 240kb/s leaving me with a maximum downlaod speed of 29.9K/s.

However the term Broadband is coined for any connection of ver 256kb/s and as im basically achieving those speeds (just) then Plus Nets stance is well.. your getting broadband so whats the problem ?

Now the package im on of course is an "up to 2meg broadband" and of course external factors such as distance from the exchange etc could mean in reality you cant get those sort of speeds. Anything above 256K is not a problem.

But surely ISPs / BT should investigate customers who arent getting the desired speeds especially if they can proove that they have previously been working faster? Afterall we're trying to push up to 8meg ADSL2 etc. The faster we go the more diverse the internet can go. At 256KB/s you have no chance for IPTV (Television through the net) and even VOIP isnt going to be too great especially with contention.

Plus net dont seem to be in any position at the moment to be looking at trivial issues like this one, they're overstretched keeping everyone connected but I wonder if changing ISPs may yield a different result.

Plus Net provide 'Broadband' and Water companies provide 'Water' so if the water to my house was just trickling in then id have a right to complain, or if my 'Electricity' wasnt strong enough to power everything i'd have a right to complain. So why do ISPs such as Plus Net and BT refuse to take action when somebodies 'Broadband' isnt performing as it should?

Im interested in thoughts and comments over this one.
2 REPLIES
andyhargreaves
Dabbler

Re: Plus nets deal on poor speeds Ticket 19990545

I think this is a very valid point, although you're unlikely to get a better esponse from any other ISP. One part of your post hit the nail right on the head:
Plus net dont seem to be in any position at the moment to be looking at trivial issues like this one, they're overstretched keeping everyone connected but....

When (If?) they do resolve some of the more fundamental problems I think this would be worth addressing, as the "up to 2Mb" idea can be misleading for many people. Lines should be tested and an accurate 'offer' of speeds available be made before customers sign up.

Andy
N/A

although you're unlikely to get a better esponse from any other ISP

I wouldnt be so sure about that, some ISPs care about their customers experience with them Smiley