cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus.net same as Force 9??

N/A

Hello!! I was wondering if Force 9 (F9) is the same company as Plus.net but under a different name?

Their website http://www.f9.net.uk looks almost identical to plus.net, with the same prices etc..!

Which name came first, Force 9 or Plus.net?! Wink
13 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I can't remember the history, but Force9, Free-Online and PlusNet are the same company. The others are referred to as "Visps" or Virutal ISPs - there are (or were) other ones as well.

Ah, found it:

PlusNet Technologies Ltd. (http://www.plus.net.uk/) was formed initially to enhance the achievements of the Force9 Internet service (http://www.force9.net/) and has gone from strength to strength, becoming an industry leader with services such as PlusNet, Force9 and FreeOnline (http://www.free-online.net/). Now, together with Insight ASP (whose brand MyOpenApps (http://www.myopenapps.com/) currently provides Web-based groupware applications for both residential and business users), PlusNet Technologies Ltd. provide Business Critical Web-based applications and automated Business Execution tools that are deliverable over the World Wide Web.
Community Veteran

PlusNet do/have managed other VISPs as well... at the moment, there is another PlusNet, specifically for business users. I also believe that another VISP was once DabsOnline, which has since disappeared (well not quite, but it isn't what it once was).

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

You mean dabsol? It doesn't use the same template though Smiley
Community Veteran

That's because they're not a VISP any more. But they used to be though. Tongue

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

Well, they are still hosted on the PlusNet servers then Wink
Community Veteran

A lot of people still use the dabsol dialup numbers and I imagine its still a good revenue generator for PlusNet.

Chris
N/A

I was bored the other day, and found all these :lol::

relay1.plus.net 212.159.11.35
relay.force9.net 212.159.11.37
relay.free-online.net 212.159.11.38
relay.sonnetinternet.co.uk 212.159.11.39
relay.charitydays.net 212.159.11.40
relay.breathepro.com 212.159.11.42
relay.qudosconnect.co.uk 212.159.11.43
relay.dabs.net 212.159.11.44
relay.vcisp.net 212.159.11.45
relay.plus.net 212.159.11.46
relay.supersurf.net 212.159.11.47
relay.yourideal.co.uk 212.159.11.48

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): I have removed one of the list, mainly due to the content you get if you go to the www version of the domain.]
N/A

Very convoluted, but I think Dabs (PC mail order) used Breathpro, who purchased DSL access and a few other services off PlusNet.
Breathepro was an Affinity Internet VISP. When Affinity Internet went bust, Dabs, along with many other users chose to move to PlusNet as there was no DSL downtime.
However, Affinity did not purchase all services off PlusNet and I think hosting was on Affinity Servers.
Sonnet Internet were also a Affinity VISP.
Incidentally, they owe me for a domain registration.
Community Veteran

PlusNet acted as the back bone to all of Affinity's newer services, the older stuff was hosted by someone else, this included portals, customer websites and email
Charitydays is still hosted fully AFAIK.
Dabsol was a partnership between PlusNet and Dabs, where as dabs.net was a partnership between dabs and Affinity who sub contracted to Plusnet.

Chris
N/A

Told you it was convoluted. :lol:
jberry
Grafter

Which name came first, Force 9 or Plus.net?!

We started as Choice Micro back in the day, then came Force9, then FreeOnline and finally PlusNet.

We also provide vISP services for CharityDAYS and used to run services for a number of different affinity vISP's before Affinity went bust.

Regards,
oliverb
Grafter

It's quite funny, back in the days before BT Surftime we had a Force9 account that we were paying for. For some reason when the unmetered packages came out we didn't know we could have upgraded the Force9 account so we opened a new Plusnet account. I guess it was better advertised. Long and the short of it is we eventually cancelled the Force9 account leaving behind a shedload of spam (sorry guys) and later after about a year moved our website to plusnet too.

Funny thing is back then I monitored our website availability and got on average about 70%. I never had a problem viewing it so I ignored the reports and cancelled the monitoring. After the recent maintenance I resumed monitoring and got 100% for the first time.
jberry
Grafter

For some reason when the unmetered packages came out we didn't know we could have upgraded the Force9 account

When the first unmetered products were released they were only available on PlusNet - it was later on (when Connect accounts started and ADSL started taking off) that all the vISP's were standardised.

Regards,