cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus.net compatibility with cordless phones

N/A

Our cordless phone has been working intermittently since a power surge the other day. Then our bband stopped working the other day. I got it working by switching over the media filters, but the phones have stopped working again. I was about to order some more phones on Amazon when I read one of the user reviews saying that Philips 2152 is not compatible with some b/band services, and the phones can knock out the b/band signal. Does anyone have a similar experience? I think I'm going to buy some more media filters now before getting a new phone set...
17 REPLIES
N/A

Well obviously if you had a power surge, then thats probably rendered the phones useless. But as far as i know the phones them selves (providing there connected to a microfilter) cant disconect the DSL, you have to make sure every phone is connected to a filter. The power surge could also have damaged your DSL modem, so if it still happens after buying a new phone, you may have to look into getting a new modem!
N/A

Have spoken to Plus.net customer support, they had not heard of the issue, but were interested. They suggested the power surge could have affected the micro filters...they also said that cordless phones can broadcast noise that can upset unshielded ADSL cables, and 2mb more sensitive than 1mb connections. However we have not yet been rolled over into 2mb, so this probably does not explain our situation. I think I'll try some new filters, and only then get some new phones, anyone know of any decent/reasonable places to buy either items, in City or by website?
LiamM
Grafter

I am aware of some DECT phones causing problems with ADSL.

Most do not, however. I have 2 sets of Binatone DECT phones and a BT Synergy DECT phone and they cause no problems at all.
N/A

holdtight
Grafter

I have all my PC systems and peripherals inc router and phones running through
quite expensive surge protection and UPS with battery back up to avoid this happening

i know it can still get past it in some cases but i think its well worth the effort
and expense and it might be something you should think about when you have your problem sorted

you dont have to go too mad with it and just a standard surge protector should
be good enough for your needs

My dect phones dont cause a problem either (2x southwestern bell s2300`s)
Jeni
Grafter

i had a problem years ago but that was with an analogue cordless and every time it rang i lost my connection to the net. i now have 2 philips kala dect phones and have no problems at all now.
N/A

A power surge in the mains won't have any effect on the telephone network, since the phone line carries all the power it requires.

Dect phones,as previously mentioned, are a pain and can often cause broadband connections to disconnect without a good quality filter.

ADSL Nation do some good filters, it's what I use and I've got quite a few dect phones connected. If you have sky you need to have that connected via a filter as well.
N/A

A power surge in the mains won't have any effect on the telephone network, since the phone line carries all the power it requires.
It can do if you have poor quality mains operated devices connected to your phone line.
N/A

If you do experience problems with DECT phones, consider where you have put the base station. I have a Panasonic cordless, absolutely no problem at all usually, but when I moved the base station while redecorating it really didn't like being so near the PC - every time the phone rang, the internet fell over.
N/A

isix01,

Since you devices connected to the UK telephone network are meant to be certified as safe etc. before connection, in theory there should be no problem. If someone imports something etc, well I guess it's their risk.
N/A

If you do experience problems with DECT phones, consider where you have put the base station. I have a Panasonic cordless, absolutely no problem at all usually, but when I moved the base station while redecorating it really didn't like being so near the PC - every time the phone rang, the internet fell over.

Actually now I'm having a problem with the telephone sometimes not being able to communicate with the base station...answermachine works fine, but then it's not cordless...think the transmitter in the base station is at fault. Could be the Bband line is interfering with the phone, or just that the phone is knackered?
N/A

I've only had the problem the other way around - the phone upsetting the ADSL - so can't really offer any logical reasoning, but my suspicion would be that in your case the phone might indeed be knackered.
N/A

If the phone uses a mains powered base station (and all DECT phones will) then there is a fair chance the power surge could have knackered the base set up but wouldn't/shouldn't cause ADSL line drops.
N/A

Since you devices connected to the UK telephone network are meant to be certified as safe etc. before connection, in theory there should be no problem. If someone imports something etc, well I guess it's their risk.
Every unit produced is not tested, only random units from random batches, so if you get a dodgy component in your unit then it can cause problems.