Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Talk - VIOP is it of use yet ?

Prod_Man
Grafter

Hi
Is anyone using PlusTalk. If so how useable is it ?

I see Nildram are offering direct dial to land lines which would of course make this very useful for cheaper long distance phone calls!

Also why is it only listed under the residential TAB , what about Teleworker / Homeworkers who are (Per T & Cs) residential can they use this ?

Mick
12 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

PlusTalk is only available to Residential subscribers. The Teleworker / Homeworker products are Business products and therefore, Plustalk is not available.

PlusTalk is only useful for contacting other PlusTalk customers and a handful of other SIP providers (see the list in the PlusTalk forum). Plusnet have in the past stated that a PSTN breakout will be coming soon, but as usual, they fail to give any indicator as to when this may be. Just the usual, cover up of "sometime soon". It's going to take a lot more than this for me to leave skype.

In my opinion, PlusTalk is a waste of time and effort, there are far more important matters Plusnet could have been working on than releasing a product that doesn't really do much.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Thanks for that Liam.
Certainly other ISPs are a lot further ahead with this technology rollout!

Cheers
Mick
Community Veteran

Try http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php
I have no personal experience, but they are getting good reviews.

Chilly
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We are currently developing PSTN break in/out for PlusTalk which will allow calls to landlines and mobiles around the world.
We'll also be adding PlusTalk to Business and Teleworker accounts when we bring in PSTN break in/out.

The due date for this project is early Autumn. PlusTalk is a very big and very important project to us. This is something that a lot of customers will want to use and is designed using open standards so that we peer direct with other open SIP providers.
craigbrass
Grafter

Even with the PTSN stuff, still gotta say Skype is way better. For instance I can call my datacenter for free since I got it as its a freephone america number and they now support it. Altho, I will try it when it becomes avalable just cos I like trying things lol.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Dave
Thanks for the update as I have had a number of friends ask about this service so SOONER rather than later would be better....
As I said ealier Other ISPs are offering this service now!

Glad to hear that the "Business" products will be included in this (essential I would have thought!) as this MUST show better value to these products which they currently need.

Mick
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've had a scan through some of the project documents, and scope of this project is massive (covering everything from the cost of calls to mobiles in Angola to , hence why the launch date is a little while off yet, but it is a key project and one that will add better value.
LiamM
Grafter

Out of interest, how much is the cost of a call to a mobile in Angolia? I am very interested in PlusTalk. At the moment it's useless to me, but I'll almost certainly use it once it's launched as long as prices are competetive and the service is reliable.

How is the pricing going to compare with Skype's amazing offering?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I think you'll certainly find it competitive, unfortunately at the moment I can't say what the prices are for commercial reasons (don't want other suppliers seeing what they are just yet).
Community Veteran

That means 1 of 2 things,

They're excellent
They're rubbish
N/A

As I am sure people will have noticed you don't HAVE to use PlusNet or Skype to use VoIP. There are several providers. I happen to have a DrayTek router and was offered an upgrade by then to a router with VoIP built in. There are just 2 phone jacks in the back of the router - connect a telephone and away you go. Use DECT and you can have it round the house. I am sure there are other ways too. Ther was a good articel in PCPro (Aug) on the whole subject which got me fired up. They listed a lot of suppliers there. Only problem is my wife has discovered cheap calls to her friends in France!

IMTolmie
craigbrass
Grafter

Also, will freephone uk and usa numbers remain free to call?

I think you should not of bothered with the service to be honest. The way it is now is useless to all. It should of been launched when the PTSN side was finished.