cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net page content not displaying

N/A

I am having problems with the display of the content on Plus Net website pages. I only get headers and footers not the main content which is just a blank. Is this a problem with Plus Net or my browser? I am using Internet Explorer 7 beta. Other websites are fine for displaying their content so I am assuming Plus Net is the problem not me.
22 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

This is a known issue with parts of the portal and the IE7 Beta versions. Its something that was raised a while ago and looked at by the content team, but unfortunately until the final version of IE7 is released there isn't much that we can do to resolve this.
N/A

~~ until the final version of IE7 is released there isn't much that we can do to resolve this.~~

Isn't the idea of Beta versions to give software providers/suppliers the chance to check out incompatibilities so they can be fixed?

Surely if you do nothing then there is a good chance that the problems will still exist with the release version.

Or is it PN policy to hope that someone else will sort it out for them?

A proper answer should be along the lines of:
We have identified the problem between our site and the Beta software and

1) informed Microsoft so that it can be fixed
2) Taken steps to ensure that when the release version available that our web pages will be viewed correctly.
N/A

The solution is clear hehe Smiley

If it works in IE6 but not in IE7 beta then I dont understand how PN could be in the wrong. If software is being upgraded it shouldnt support less lol
Ommin
Grafter

there isn't much that we can do to resolve this.

Jon, you can't even resolve the login issue ( Invalid Password ) on your own portal.
Community Veteran

Uncalled for remark. The login and password are nothing to do with the original question.
Please keep this on topic.
N/A

Isn't the idea of Beta versions to give software providers/suppliers the chance to check out incompatibilities so they can be fixed?

Surely the purpose of a beta product is for the users to report problems back to the makers of the product in question so that they can make sure THEY are compatible with whatever is already out there?

Unless you want a large amount of companies to re-write their websites and then do it AGAIN when the next beta comes out and that makes a new problem and then AGAIN when the beta after that comes out etc etc etc.

As users of firefox, opera, ie 6 etc.. can all see the forum fine, it would be a problem with the "not yet finished" browser that is being used, rather than something here that needs to be fixed.

If when IE7 is finally released it is determined that there is a small change that can be made to make things operational for all then im sure it'll be looked into.

You woulndt beta test GPS software and tell the road makers to dig up and move a road 10 meters to the left just because the beta maps said thats where it was!
N/A

I've just repicked up this thread and I'm somewhat puzzled as to how a problem with a non-released, BETA test release of software can be blammed on PN.

While I'm all for a public lynching when justified I'm also against lynchings just because lynching is the current flavour of the month.

An external test of pre-production products. The purpose is to test the product for all functions in a breadth of field situations to find those system faults that are more likely to show in actual use than in the firm's more controlled in-house tests before sale to the general market.

The above definition is one of the better ones for Beta testing (and is probably the closest to my own idea of where the beta test comes in the lifecycle). As people have found this fault - and hopefully reported it to Microsoft - then beta testing is doing its job. If however people are blaming it on broken websites and not letting MS know then the beta programme is failing.
N/A

Indeed, much as Microsoft would love (and often get) websites to work around IE it is not something to be encouraged. There are standards out there and IE should adhere to them. IF a website is working with other browsers, then there is most likely a problem with the Beta which needs addressing by Microsoft with reports from users.
This is one thing which it is unfair to blame on PlusNet IMHO.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I blame the edgits that came up with the "standards" in the first place ....... but thats just me :lol::lol::lol:
N/A

Actually, don't mention standards, passing the help & support link through the W3C's validator gives 183 errors....

[url=http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fportal.plus.net%2Fsupport.html]Results[url] for http://portal.plus.net/support.
But looking at the results most of them are only semantic issues rather than any critical issue (for example not specifying closing tags for attributes which don't need them but do to be a wellformed and valid document).
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Woop woop!, I beat PN! :lol:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.it-mate.co.uk

A mere 38 "errors", and they're all a load of tosh IMHO.
N/A

IE7 code frozen

Jon,

I believe that MS have now frozen the coding for ie7 saying that there will be no more changes prior to release. Does that mean that your team can now start looking into the display problem?

Phil
Misterel

This is a known issue with parts of the portal and the IE7 Beta versions. Its something that was raised a while ago and looked at by the content team, but unfortunately until the final version of IE7 is released there isn't much that we can do to resolve this.

Its a good excuse to try firefox Smiley
N/A

Re: IE7 code frozen

I believe that MS have now frozen the coding for ie7 saying that there will be no more changes prior to release. Does that mean that your team can now start looking into the display problem?

Given the problem is not their fault and that until IE7 is formally released there can still be critical/major code fixes implemented I don't believe now is the time to fix this issue - and I would be suprised if MS will release IE7 knowing that it will break compatability with IE6 sites - the backlash would not be pretty.

Apart from that the PN developers have more urgent things to do like fixing the VMU tool so when an account is updated they get the new VMU tool not the old one... mutter mutter mutter cowboys mutter mutter Wink