cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus Net......I just don't get it

N/A

Hi all

I have been on PN now for around three months. I am one of 4 students sharing a house. We are all networked up to a 2MB PN connection via our broadband modem (Linksys AG241). Now this is the second year in a row that I have been with PN; last year me and my student friends also used the ISP.

As previously mentioned we are on a 2MB connection, this is on the premier a/c. We are all IT students so are quite prolific users of the net. We all use P2P to download, all surf the web and all check our email. We also occasionally download files off the web and use FTP services. Now when using P2P applications we tend to use them at different time or limit our connection speed on our client so as not to slow down everyone else.

I reccomended PN to my friends this year as when I was with them last year with 3 other different students I thought the service was great and we experienced few problems. We also used P2P applications then and managed to achieve great speeds with no problems. This year in the first month/2months we also managed to get great speeds off P2P without any problems. Then at the end of October/start of November these speeds dropped dramatically and we cannot find any explation at our end of the connection why. We have checked all our firewalls, router etc and everything is in order. But what is even more weird is that when downloading commercial torrents great speeds are still achiveved (our connection is more or less maxed out). But on the other hand many other hugely popular torrents (five/ten thousand seeders) are getting appaling speeds (10kB/s average) regardless of on or off-peak time.

No one seems to be able to explain what the problem is. And now quite frankly it is getting very tiring, and I would also like to point out the massive amount of embarassment that I now have for reccomending this ISP in the first place, and to more than one set of people I might add.

It would be very interesting to know everyone's thoughts/opinons on this

Thanx
PS Sorry about the very long post
12 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

P2P is heavily restricted/throttled atm ...
N/A

I understand that but why are we achieving maxed out speeds on some torrents and not on others regardless of time of day etc?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

TMK, commercial torrents are unaffected by this (there was a previous thread from a mod that explained it, but I can't find it atm), so you will only normally see the problems on public one's
N/A

Have you checked your modem for jam?
N/A

Trouserhouse,

As already mentioned P2P applications are throttled. Whilst bittorent is still supposed to perform near full potential or at least a good proportion there of, others are no longer not so great.
I cannot comment myself too much, as I havent used P2P since errrrr about a year ago.
Now although the answer to your question is already above, I would just like to mention that no doubt a question relating to this topic will arise at the customer forum (being held a week on saturday).
The best thing, you could possibly do, is search through the forum here and see what clients and sources everyone is using and what their performance is like. Trial and error it. It may be that you may no longer be able to use edonkey but are more than able to use Azureus (if thats spelt right).
Until, Plusnet have had a chance to look into the matter by means of implementing their better traffic management system (in another thread) it really is a matter of using whats available as apposed to using things by choice.

Sorry if I cannot be any more helpful Sad
N/A

Yep,

I know, most of its to do with the content and not the client your using lol. <-- Just incase anyone wanted to say this first. lol.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The performance of p2p across our network has been a hot topic on these boards for quite some time now.

You might want to take a look at this thread to see what we are doing about this.
N/A

Thanks Ben,

I was just about to stick the link on myself lol. But youve saved me the effort now Smiley
N/A

Thanks for the replies so far. I do fully realise that it is not to do with the client that we use that would affect the speed. Also I would like to mention that I have been keeping fully abreast of the recent changes and such to the usage policy, changes to the network etc. I have searched up and down the forums countless amount of times and still cannot find out why we can max out on some torrents not on others.

Also what is this modem jam you talk of? If it is anything to do with it crashing, the cache slowing it down so on we have rebooted it many a time in the hope that something will change to no success.

Thanks again
PS The client we use is Azureus
N/A

I presume, by modem jam, he means where the modem is actually connected to the internet, but wont allow any incoming or outgoing traffic for some reason - usually caused by P2P data.
N/A

I was thinking more of the red sticky stuff that you put on toast Shockedops:
JonnyF
Grafter

this is such a pants service were getting... simple as that... in the words of plusnet "if you dont like it, maybe you need to find another isp" cause there doing sweet fa about it, dont want downloaders on their network, only internet browsers, and emailers (without attachments please).

yours completly hacked off,

Jon.