cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus.Net Blocks Defualt IRC DCC Ports

N/A

Plus.Net have blocked the default ports that is used for DCC connections on IRC, This is causing a lot of problems with people that are trying to send files on these ports, and for people that are unable to change there settings on there client.Plus.Net have said these ports are blocked due to viruses using them , but I think it is going to cause more problems then it will fix, What do you think? Vote Now!

:arrow: For anyone that needs to use dcc while these ports are blocked, you can read the guide here on how to change your ports
31 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There is a very large amount of virus and spam related traffic that use this port, so it is not a port we will be opening completely.

Also, it is very easy to change the port your client uses for IRC DCC, after which it works fine.
N/A

To dispell that half truth.

If you are sending a file to somebody else, then provided you have configured you client to ports 1030 and above, it will send fine.

The real issue starts when you wish to receive files.

It is if the remote client is configured for port 1024, for which most are (being the default and all) and worse, some are hardcoded at port 1024 only.

When this happens, we are unable to receive files at all, because the connections are blocked.

So changing the ports (as easy as it is), only cures half the problem.

Besides which, should non-technology savvy users have to change such defaults?
Why should we be forced to adapt to what is a non-common set of blocks?
channel
Grafter

Indeed.

Ben should already know this, since plenty of people replied to his post over at ADSLguide which was peddling the same line.
N/A

I beleive it should be up to the user to configure there systems to be secure. It is not the ISP's place to block anything, if you want to do this, give us the users the option of being nannified or not.

Let us have the full unauderted web and all the nastys there in. I enjoy tweaking my firewall and other systems to protect my network, as I am sure others do. It should be down to the user.
N/A

i back up everything thats been said so far

the 1024-1028 are default send/receive ports in mIRC and NEED unblocking NOW - otherwise i am leaving.

I cannot receive files from anyone on mIRC unless the other party change their ports to 1029+.

I cannot establish any kind of DCC (chat, send, get) when the other party has their ports between 1024-1028. It is not feasable to get everyone i want to DCC with to change their ports just because of plus net being over protective. I think it should be up to the user which ports are blocked.. and have some kind of tool on the portal to be able to block/open ports as and when needed.

my 2pence.
JP
Ben_Brown
Grafter

thompsonmike - In theory, this is what we would like to do. However in practice this does not work. Many many internet users are not aware of even the most basic security measures, and the truth is that there is a very large amount of virus and spam related traffic going around the net these days.

It's all very well having your own firewall, however the packets are still going down your line and using up bandwidth. If we stop the packets at our end this bandwidth is not used.

jpearsonhome - We are not going to remove these blocks as the amount of illegitimate traffic that is going to these ports is phenominal.

We are however looking into allowing just IRC DCC traffic through on these ports. In the meantime you will need to use different ports, and contact those you are wanting to recieve files for through normal IRC channels to advise them to change the port. In all the clients I have tried this is a simple operation.
LiamM
Grafter

Saving bandwidth yes. Per user this is a negligable amount, but bundle it all together and I guess it could be quite a bit of bandwidth saved for thousands of users. I guess saving yourself some money then?
N/A

thompsonmike - In theory, this is what we would like to do. However in practice this does not work. Many many internet users are not aware of even the most basic security measures, and the truth is that there is a very large amount of virus and spam related traffic going around the net these days.

In which case force those users onto a managed platform with extra cost if needed. Why are you actively penalising users that ARE capable due to the other mindless minority? If someone demonstrates they cant secure their connection force them onto a managed system like this but there are other legitimate uses for a few of these ports and your blanket "treat all users like idiots" policy is preventing that use.

It's all very well having your own firewall, however the packets are still going down your line and using up bandwidth. If we stop the packets at our end this bandwidth is not used.

The actual bandwidth here is negligable even to a dial up customer. Simple dropped connection attempts use maybe a few bytes per time. Even if like me you get a few thousand a day its a tiny tiny % of bandwidth and not noticable.

jpearsonhome - We are not going to remove these blocks as the amount of illegitimate traffic that is going to these ports is phenominal.

So again it seems you treat all the users as idiots that cant look after themselves.

We are however looking into allowing just IRC DCC traffic through on these ports. In the meantime you will need to use different ports, and contact those you are wanting to recieve files for through normal IRC channels to advise them to change the port. In all the clients I have tried this is a simple operation.

In large channels or with people not totally IT savvy trying to get them to configure an irc client for different ports, reconfigure their firewall and so on takes time and isnt always possible. The other side is why should the other users be forced to change their setup just to cater for some ISPs draconian clamp down ?

Not giving users the choice in anything is a very bad road to go down. Firstly the admission of traffic shaping on premier accounts and now port blocking. Plusnet is looking less and less like a "proper" isp and more and more like a net-nanny style provider for basic users only.

IRC by the way isnt the only item affected by random port blocks.
N/A

I really can't understand why Plusnet don't just send a mass email to all it's customers asking them to make sure that their systems need to be secured and why along with some helpfull links on how.

It's down to the users not the isp to secure their systems. Port blocking SHOULD be OPTIONAL for the customers!

Please unblock the ports!
N/A

I really can't understand why Plusnet don't just send a mass email to all it's customers asking them to make sure that their systems need to be secured and why along with some helpfull links on how.

And IF people after things like this still dont bother fixing their system terminate their account OR move them onto the firewalled service with an extra charge.

It's down to the users not the isp to secure their systems. Port blocking SHOULD be OPTIONAL for the customers!

Of course it should be. If i want the flexibility of managing my own connection, firewall and can be responsible about it why should i be restricted in my use purely because others cant ?
N/A

I asked a few questions in the thread over on ADSLGuide so I won't repeat everything here.

Just to say that I like to run my network - and that includes having a proper, unfiltered and unadultered connection to the Internet. I could have gone with AO-Hell if I needed someone to hold my hand!

If it's about the amount of data being sent round then please tell the beancounters where to go - losing a few customers over this probably works out worse!

Also, do PlusNet agree that for anyone that this affects in a big way (I barely use IRC so this particular port doesn't overly-interest me) that the change can be construed as a major change to the T&C's in that you are restricting what has been paid for?

Adam
crimsone
Grafter

I thought I was joining a good "proper" ISP. I was even told by the sales person on the phone when I called to check before hand that PlusNet DOESN't block ports.

I am not going to recommend PN to ANYONE AT ALL untill this blanket policy is forgotten. In fact, I'm going to be quite happy to do the exact opposite.

What's next? Is PN going to block IRC altogether to stop it's users getting caught in botnets?
N/A

Hello, Where in MirC do I change the port settings? I can't find it
hitachi
Grafter

options-connect-options-advanced