cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus - Have your developers still not fixed the usage issue?

N/A

How long does it take to investigate and fix......
Please don't tell me these things are over complicated.. and blah blah
I'm a developer and have been for more than 10 years..... So I know how it all works.

You could at least inform your customers of any new developments.
I feel the amount of time taken to date is unacceptable
and that any clued up developer who knows the system should very quickly be able to locate where the root cause of the fault is and deal with it.

How many people do you actually have looking into this one .. Ten...
17 REPLIES
N/A

Seems a bit harsh.

as a 'developer' you will probably appreciate the need to not do rushed, quick fixes that have knock effects. fixes to be thoroughly tested before releasing. The fact that pre-release testing NEVER catches all the bugs. The fact that fixing broken data for 200,000+ accounts will not happen overnight. The fact that is further mistakes are made the developers will be publically hanged by some on the forums..................

Just my 2p as a software developer and DBA (not plusnet related!).
N/A

Maybe the work shouldn't be rushed, but why go the M$ route of developement?
The old VMBU worked, it's not the best idea in the world to replace it with a broken one.

Easiest solution, switch back to the working one if fixing the new one is going to take more than a few days and do proper beta testing before puting the new one back in place.
Of course, this does require somebody to admit making a c**k up in the first place.

Edited because of censor. The word I used really wasn't that bad.
N/A

Maybe the work shouldn't be rushed, but why go the M$ route of developement?
The old VMBU worked, it's not the best idea in the world to replace it with a broken one.

Easiest solution, switch back to the working one if fixing the new one is going to take more than a few days and do proper beta testing before puting the new one back in place.
Of course, this does require somebody to admit making a c**k up in the first place.

Edited because of censor. The word I used really wasn't that bad.

100% Agreed
N/A

Air traffic control engineers produce 'safety critical' software which, while not 100% perfect, has to work. It is also very complex. This is what ensures that planes are kept apart and arrive safely. It is DESIGNED and TESTED to a high standard.

There is another type of software which they produce and this is classed 'business critical'. This is not tested quite so rigorously BUT... it does work to acceptable standards.

The success (or lack) of PNs new VMBU suggests that it was knocked together and given a programmers test and put into the public domain. Not being very successful tends to show the standards which PN apply.

Working to timescales rather than fit for purpose. Why do they not just roll back to the old version? Probably to do with enforcing the new reduced bandwidth usage limits=======MONEY!
csogilvie
Grafter

Am I missing something? What's actually up with the new VMBU?
N/A

Works fine over here too.
BoneMan
Grafter

Sorry, but have you actually checked the numbers yourself? In my case (Premier Optn 1) the daily usage figures disagree wildly from the "old" VMBU :? . - although interestingly, the "month-to-date" totals do agree - more or less. Also, the "month-to-date" new VMBU totals shown don't agree with the totals from the individual days or weeks - according to taste :? . I have a ticket in about the latter and PlusNet confirm it's a "feature" :twisted: that needs attention.

I'm begining to wonder if we don't need an independent "weights and measures" agency to test and certify ISP usage metering. We do for other suppliers, e.g. gas, electricty, water - and the pub Wink .

Regards,

Ray.
N/A

- and the pub Wink .

Don't forget petrol; I prefer to drink from the pub personally. Wink
N/A

I might ask where have you been for the last week, or do you have selective reading turned on? See View my usage reading wrong again and How reliable is the usage monitor?.

Those of us who do not do Gaming or Peer-to-peer, and don't even know what Broadband phonecalls is about, strongly object to having usage for these items dumped onto our accounts.

The new VMBU tool is inaccurate and unreliable, and urgently needs to be fixed.

DT
sophos9
Grafter

Air traffic control engineers produce 'safety critical' software which, while not 100% perfect, has to work. It is also very complex. This is what ensures that planes are kept apart and arrive safely. It is DESIGNED and TESTED to a high standard.

Unfair example, air traffic controllers work to at least a Sigma level of 6 or greater, therefore by default, its not development its UT

Keep it in perspective, its a bandwidth report NOT something critical to a major incident or loss of life :roll:
N/A

Not forgetting usenet. I'm now listed as having 611MB of usenet (wouldn't touch it with a bargepole), despite having avoided any traffic that might confuse the VMBU. No SSH or SFTP, just purely web and email.
N/A

The problem is my peak usage for this month = 992.58MB + 504.82MB

However, the VMU shows 4.1GB peak usage, and as a result

with my web/downloads going slowwwwww
N/A

[1] During the changeover from the old platform to the new one, a small number of customers did not have their usage reset, causing more than 30 days worth of usage to be displayed in VMBU. This was caused by an error processing the script for those customers and has now been resolved. The customers involved have been contacted, and the issue resolved to their satisfaction.

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1146826357.htm

:roll:
N/A

Ever since I was moved to the new VMU my daily use has apparently been zero. News from support (I reported this 2 weeks ago) is that it is broken, and that they have no idea when it will be fixed.