cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop locking threads

ceridwen
Grafter

I note that the mods have been extremely trigger happy with thread locking of late. However locking this thread (http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34546) takes things too far.

The thread has been tracking the disconnect issue since mid October, it has (in the main) been polite, on topic and not breaking any forum rules. Although PN has finally admitted that there is a problem and are investigating it, the problem has not yet been resolved, and yet a mod has locked the thread.

Please can you unlock it so that we can keep future discussion of this problem and router logs etc. (at least until it is resolved) in the same thread as the previous three weeks worth of discussion, and router log files!

Matthew
33 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

Agreed, I have asked to no avail. Others have commented similarly.
Community Veteran

Ok,

I don't want to be accused of not listening, so I'll follow the overall feeling and desire for the thread to be unlocked and lock the other one.

Chris
Saturn
Grafter

Thanks
rammie1976
Grafter

Hey that better not be my thread you're gonna lock? Its different to the other one...I'm waiting to hear what has caused these problems...

leave both threads open, what IS the problem?
Community Veteran

The reasons for locking the threads has already been discussed elsewhere.

Chris
rammie1976
Grafter

Oh forget it - I've had run-ins with you before...this is pathetic...oow two threads on similar topics that will never do!

Well done +net drones.
N/A

archaeolith

Posts like the above are not necessary and acheive absolutely nothing.

Please keep your posts constructive or dont post at all.
N/A

They achieve absolutely nothing because the moderators are unwilling to listen.

These forums do suffer from too many moderators enjoying the thrill of their powers. I am a moderator on a much, much busier site and I have not moderated a post in nearly a year.

You really do need to think whether the rules that you think are so important, e.g. no long-winded quoting, no more than one thread on a topic, etc. are really that important.

At the end of the day you are giving a fairly fascist impression and you need to stop and think how this reflects on Plusnet.

OK, don't tell me, thread locked Cheesy
N/A

Agreed Chiara

I personally run my own small forum, and moderate on two much larger forums (in excess of 10,000 members).

I have only locked one thread on my own forum in the time that it has been live (nearly 2 years now) and have locked less than 10 threads on the other forums (out of 200,000+ threads).

I agree, much of the time, with the moderators and moderating administrators on these forums, however I feel that certain Mods are being a little overzealous with their power, and even taking advantage of the position they find themselves in.

I also feel that the forum rules require a slight rethink and a little modification, to suit their overall member base.
N/A

I had one run in with PN staff where he got a bit shirty with me , i was calm and just wanted my question answered . It was regarding the false and misleading sign up pages on premier account . I got a PM from a mod and another mod told me not to monopolise BBrowns time .His time was monopolised in one thread and about 6 posts. I have not posted here since, until now . Thread in question .

Its clear to see this site is not on the side of the customer but on the side of the Plusnet staff and i felt insulted that someone who has a few extra buttons to play with tells me how to talk to a company i do business with . I was polite did not swear and did not have an attitude , which is more can be said for the PN staff member and the moderators here .

In the end they do it just because they can .
N/A

But they way they moderate suits 99% of Plusnet forum users. The other 1% can always find an alternative ISP....
N/A

The way the moderators on these forums moderate needs to suit 99% of plusnet customers not 99% of the current forum users (which I do not believe it does anyway).

The reason many people do not make use of this discussion and feedback facility IS the moderators and their actions...
Community Veteran

Its been sad the last few weeks to watch these forums descend into anarchy.

Many new users have come forward to post, only to be alienated by the actions of the moderators. The current practice of locking threads, is “like a red rag to a bull”. Just causing upset to users who wish to ask their question or have there say on the current changes. I accept that trying to encourage a single thread on a topic does make the forum easier to read. But it is one of the main causes of the current upset.
And generally only causes another new “Why’s my thread been lock” thread.

I am also finding the language and temperament used by some of the moderators offensive and overly harsh. I am sure that polite requests to keep threads on track would be much more effective.

Sometimes it takes a better man to walk away, and there is no better example of this, than the trolling post in this thread.

Perhaps a lighter touch, will allow civilization to return.

I am sure that I will be criticised for this post.

Chilly
Alecto
Grafter

Perhaps a lighter touch, will allow civilization to return.
I am sure that I will be criticised for this post.

Chilly

Many months of the "lighter touch" is what has got the forums into their present state. If the moderators had put up with less hostility and aggression in the first place, then the forums would not have been seen as an easy target for malcontents and bullies to behave badly.

It is utter nonsense to suggest that caving in to bullying now will be any more successful than it was when the bad behaviour first started.

Keep up the good work mods, you're on the right track.