cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please, PlusNet, listen and improve your SPAM system

N/A

I have a domain with plusnet and I collect email sent to my .co.uk domain through plusnet. However, because of the inflexibility and downright half-bakedness of the SPAM filtering system, I am forced to download messages which are obvious spam and have even been identified as such by plus.

Marking emails as [-SPAM-] is pointless - it doesn't save me or anyone using Outlook any time whatsoever. Requiring customers to download and review mail which is obviously spam is a waste of our time. The system should be redesigned to enable you to delete spam before it reaches your inbox. I don't want to have to delete duplicate mails all called [-SPAM-] Sexy baby bad erection sent to non-existent email addresses at my domain.

Important: If you choose to turn off Spam Protection, your Inbox may be subject to unwanted and offensive email content.

The design of your spam filtering system is such that even if I have the spam filter on maximum, my inbox will still be subject to unwanted and offensive email content.

Outlook does not allow you to delete messages from the server using a rule, so the only option is to download the [-SPAM-] mail and use a rule to stick it straight in the bin. My only option is to change my email client for dowloading my plusnet mail, which is a ridiculous state of affairs.

I'm positive that I'm not the only one who finds the spam filtering system not only frustrating but actually counterproductive. If other companies can kill spam before it reaches their customers, why on earth can't plusnet?

And, as a footnote, can plus stop sending duplicate mail to postmaster@ my domain ... you've got my account email address, so use it.
12 REPLIES
N/A

There are several ways you can filter spam mails so that you do not waste time downloading and reading them.

The way I would recommend is to change from POP3 to IMAP delivery to Outlook. To set up filtering log on using Webmail but select the imap option. When you are in under tools you a have email rules. With this you can filter emails [SPAM] to a folder of your choice. Then in Outlook for IMAP folders you can select which folders you want updating when you retrieve messages. So deselecting the spam folder mean that you will not see them but they are still on the mail server so you can review either using webmail or enabling the folder. I would suggest the former is the better option.

If you are not use to IMAP the 2 main differences are: 1. Messages are kept on the server untli you decide to delete them. 2. There is a folder system. IMAP is a good system to use if you more than one PC and you do not want to use Webmail.
N/A

I've had a look at that, thanks. It's still a pain to have to go to such lengths. After all, if I can set up a rule in IMAP to trash emails marked as spam, why can't it be built into the pop3 system.

It's worth noting that the [-SPAM-] tag can't be filtered in its entirety by the IMAP filter. It won't allow the [ ] brackets. I'm hoping it will work with just the -SPAM- part.
N/A

I believe that you can set rules for POP3 but these rules are only applied after downloading (this is not a problem if you restrict POP3 to headers only). Not all emails marked spam are spam. I do get emails from sport/outdoor catalogue companies and that get marked as spam. So I would not be pleased for Plus Net to delete these.

Personally I have never used filtering as currently I only see 1 or 2 spam emails per month.
N/A

this is not a problem if you restrict POP3 to headers only

I had to switch to headers only precisely because of the ineffectiveness of plusnet's system and unfortunately because of the shortcomings of outlook's rules system I still have to manually delete those spam messages from the server.

Personally I have never used filtering as currently I only see 1 or 2 spam emails per month.

Well, I get at least 20 a week, always in a block. Trouble is, when I'm away from the office and use a PDA for my mail, I have to download these headers irrespective of whether they are spam or not.

All I ask is that we as customers should have greater control over how spam messages are dealt with. Given that most people use pop3 and it's the principal method for collecting mail on the move, it doesn't seem reasonable that plusnet should start there.
N/A

I also you a PDA when on the move and this what drove me to switch to imap. Because I needed access to historical emails and I have limited memory the 2 advantages I already mentioned come into play.

Obviously you can do similar with POP3 by selecting headers only and leave a copy but you have only got access to the inbox on the server. So all messages have to be left in the inbox and in my case this is not an option with approximately 10,000 emails per year. I need to file emails in different folders but still have access to them from desk PC, laptop and PDA and I found that imap is better for this than POP3. But this is my personal preference and plenty would probably disagree.
N/A

Well, I'm still not happy.

I've been using IMAP for the past few days and the rules don't always work, so -SPAM- mail still gets through. I've also noticed alot of connection problems using outlook and imap. Finally, the volume of duplicate spam mail that has not been flagged as spam has risen.

I really wish I hadn't bothered setting up my domain and email through plus and used a reliable supplier.
N/A

The connections problems you see with imap is down to the fact that you are always connected to the mail server. Unlike POP3 which retrieve emails depending on you settings. i.e. every 10 minutes. So you will see more connections problems with imap but you can't tell me that you never seen a can't connect error message when using POP3.
N/A

you don't need to use imap just use outlook correctly.

Setup a message rule in outlook to DELETE FROM SERVER anything with SPAM in the subject line. Outlook will not even download it to your pc.

plusnet will never make the 'imrpovement' you suggest, if they delete spam mail then they have no way to recover it and are then liable if they loose something incorrectly. Doing it this way gove you the means to delete your spam but leave it as your choice.

Setup a mail rule and your sorted, use the features your mail client has to offer.
N/A

Setup a message rule in outlook to DELETE FROM SERVER anything with SPAM in the subject line. Outlook will not even download it to your pc.

There is no such option. Outlook Express allows you to do that, but not outlook (or at least none of the recent versions). If you can show me where it's hidden, I'd be happy.

You're probably right, I've had the line about not wanting to lose legitimate mail before and its one that plusnet stick to rigidly. Why that stops them using their head and coming up with a system that moves spam mail is beyond me. Perhaps its beyond them.
N/A

When you used imap you would have seen a PN generated folder named Spam. I'm sure that PN used to put spam emails into this folder but probably have stopped because most users using POP3 will not be aware of this folder. Would be a good idea if users could elect to have emails marked with Spam or placed into a spam folder.
shellsong
Grafter

Hear! Hear! I wish they'd take a leaf out of Yahoo's book and put that Spam folder into use!
N/A

I'm sure that PN used to put spam emails into this folder but probably have stopped because most users using POP3 will not be aware of this folder. Would be a good idea if users could elect to have emails marked with Spam or placed into a spam folder.

See, you're getting it now. Wink