cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Plus net make it simple

N/A

I have been a PN member for a long time now and untill the last 9 months or so a happy one

But the last 9 months have been a nightmare constent changing of TCs confusing statements lies apoplogys what is going on

When i joined PN it wasnt because they were the cheapest far from it they were quite expensive but they provided a service i needed a solid no cut off connection as i was into Racing sims last thing you wanted was to be going into the last laps and being cut off

The TC was clear 40 hours dial up a month then you were cut off clear as day i understood it and excepted it
But now i dont understand it at all gold silver crap bands what dos it all mean ?

All i want to no in plane English is how much i can download a Month thats it no more what ever it is i will ither except it or move the choice is mine it always has been

I think the point that PN has missed is alot of the old users like myself did not join years ago for price there were alot better deals out there then theres it was for top notch service and reliabilty and we were willing to pay for it and got it

But since then PN have just got them selfs into a price war reduced the service and in doing so have made them selfs just like any other ISP

I and im shure many others are not PN members because of price were members because of the service we once had and would be prepared to pay more as we once did for that service but what PN must realise is that if they can no longer offer that service then they are just the same as every one else

I dont understand were there comming from when i first got my 512k BB more than a year ago my usage was a few gig a month now a year on with my 2 meg its more like 30-40 gig a month and i expect that to rise still further as more stuff becomes avalble on BB is that not normal then ? streaming movie clips file down loads and yes i have descoverd the delights of PP gaming uses far more bandwith now than ever most new games you couldnt play now on dialup and this will increase to

But PN say here have faster speeds but dont use them will you dont down load to much will you its like having a Ferrari with a gallon of petrol in it you can toodle about for 20 miles in it or drive flat out for 10 nither is any fun Sad

As a long time user PN go back to what you once were a premiere ISP with a price to match people will always pay for the best service
13 REPLIES
N/A

I agree with you entirely.

A lot of the current discontent would have been avoided if PN would just state in easy terms what they are offering, stick to it and of course deliver what they promise.

I suspect there has been some shake ups from on high in the PN management strata. All these changes look pretty chaotic and unthought out - like they are a reaction to something - rather than proper thought-out strategegy.

Rod
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Have you read the recently updated guide on how we manage our network? It tells you exactly how each account is managed and tells you what you can do with each product.

Also, how much have you used this month? You can check this by looking at the "View My Usage" tool in the member centre.

link: How PlusNet guarantees quality broadband
N/A

[

Also, how much have you used this month? You can check this by looking at the "View My Usage" tool in the member centre.

But the VMU Tool is wrong! It doesn't show the correct Peak Time Usage!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

It shows the correct time for the SUP, and gives a good indication of the usage for the month.
N/A

It gives a good indication of total usage but not of Peak time usage as it doesn't account for 8 hours of peak time usage every day, therefore my peak time usage could be double what it says in the VMU tool.

I guess this will be rectified when peak usage is changed back to 4pm-12am - when is this likely to happen btw?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Peak usage is still 4pm - midnight as far as the SUP is concerned.

For the "Clean for XGB" system it is 8am to midnight, and we are working on adding a column for 8am - midnight to VMBU so people can get an even better idea of how much they are using.

Also, we will be emailing customers every time they change to a different tier so they know what sort of performance to expect from their connection.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's all very well reading the updated guide, understanding it is a different matter. The way accounts are being managed is over complicated and almost impossible for a lot of people to follow.

Have you read the recently updated guide on how we manage our network? It tells you exactly how each account is managed and tells you what you can do with each product.

ceridwen
Grafter

For the "Clean for XGB" system it is 8am to midnight, and we are working on adding a column for 8am - midnight to VMBU so people can get an even better idea of how much they are using.

Also, we will be emailing customers every time they change to a different tier so they know what sort of performance to expect from their connection.

This should have been in place before the new changes were implemented. It is not only common sense that people will be annoyed if such allowances are implemented before there is a means of monitoring them, but it was only a few months ago that PN introduced SUP before the VMBU could monitor peak time use, so the memory of how much that annoyed people should be fairly fresh.

Any yet, PN repeat the same PR mistakes again and again...

Matthew
worm
Grafter

Ben

Following that link you gave, for Broadband Plus states :

Customers downloading above the product design will see downloads at peak-times get progressively slower as this usage continues.

My query is, what is 'above the product design ' ? The only figure quoted is the 10GB figure in

More than 95% of Broadband Plus customers use less than 10GB per month

Does this mean that 10GB is the expected level of usage (ballpark figure) or is that simply an indicator - would 20GB still be ok - or would trouble kick in over 10GB?

I simply can't see what there isn't a simple, stated limit. There seem to be well stated limits for Premier accounts, but Plus accounts simply have a 'low' or 'within product design' usage limit, without actaully stating what that limit is.

To revert to metaphors, I am bascially being told that I can only drive a few miles in my car before the petrol runs out, without being told even rougly how many miles I can expect to go. I might get 1, 5, 10, 20...no idea.

I have been told I can upgrade to a Premier account with a 100GB limit, but I want to use less Bandwidth, not more, I just want to know how much less is expected.

I'm actually trying to help out here by using the account in a responsible way, but I have idea what target I am trying to hit.

I'm sure you'd love me to upgrade and pay an extra 7+ quid a month, but I'd prefer to save money, limit usage, and help keep the service sustainable.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What always strikes me as odd is the fact that it takes no time at all to impose restrictions/caps but takes months to develop the means by which to monitor them and to reset them.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Broadband Plus is an entry level product which is designed for people who want to use the internet to communicate with friends, surf the web, buy things online, get the odd album from iTunes etc, it's not for more experienced users who want more advanced features or to use the connection for downloading a lot of data.

It's not a "get X GB for £14.99" account, if you want that sort of thing then a PAYG account is for you. It's not a "use all you want (subject to SUP)" account - if you want that then Premier is best for you. It's an account that we manage, so the usage of customers on that account stays within the product design.

For the majority of customers they are using it as intended and are having a great time doing that, however for a small group we have had to improve the management on their accounts to keep them within this intended design of the account. We can't say at what level this kicks in because then the account becomes a "get X GB for £14.99" type account instead of the managed type account that it is, and the levels will change.
ceridwen
Grafter

It's all very well reading the updated guide, understanding it is a different matter. The way accounts are being managed is over complicated and almost impossible for a lot of people to follow.

Including a number of CS staff you have been giving out incorrect information(see http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=268706#268706).

The page itself makes interesting reading in places:

contention is first described as being an "industry-wide method is proven to provide reliable, high-speed data-transfer at an affordable price" (my emphasis), however in the following paragraph essentially says that without traffic management, PN could not guarantee reliable, high speed data transfer because it is a contended service!

The effects of traffic prioritisation are initially described as "Data-intensive activities such as file sharing, P2P and Usenet traffic are given slightly less priority, but will still be fast. For example: a download that would have previously taken one hour may now take a couple of minutes longer". This doesn't actually tally with the table which gives the customer experience of the silver queue of speeds up to 500Kbps, and bronze queue of 256Kbps. For a 2Mbps user, the result of the silver queue is therefore a fourfold increase in time taken, whereas the bronze queue is an eightfold increase in time taken - neither of these is a few minutes.

The table lists ftp, usenet, and p2p traffic as being in both the silver queue and bronze queue. Which one is it? Initially I thought that it might be in silver for the "clean allowance), and then bronze afterwards, but that doesn't work since the clean level must be at gold or above, level 1 at silver, level 2 at bronze, and level 3 and 4 at some unspecified levels below bronze.

The fact that peak time for the clean up to allowance and the peak time for the SUP are different is (not surprisingly) causing a lot of confusion and annoyance. The vision statement says that the peak time for the clean up to
allowance will be reduced to the SUP peak times in February. Wouldn't it be less confusing and easier just to have the clean to allowance peak times the same as the SUP peak times from the outset? This would also save the development work bbrown mentions on "adding a column for 8am - midnight to VMBU so people can get an even better idea of how much they are using" which of course would be obsolete after February.

Matthew
N/A

If the wording of what was on offer were clear enough and understandable , and properly checkable there would not be all this huge volume of traffic in the forums about what this or that statement from PN meant or what the allowances are.

If as a customer, I am offered some product or service in exchange for my payment, and I get what I was promised, I will be happy - as i think most would. Delivering less than this, under whatever pretext seems to me unethical and dishonest - particularly when trying to hide or justify it with layers of obfuscation.

Policies that require "expert" interpretation and produce endless discussion about what they mean obviously have a problem.

Rod