Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans for 2007 : Next-Generation Network Trial

Liam
Grafter

Morning all,

Just a quick heads up that the following will shortly be going out to all PlusNet Broadband Pay As You Go customers.

Your username: {username}

Dear {firstname} {surname},

This email invites you to trial a new version of our broadband network.

In our "Plans for 2007" (see link below) we talked about how we intend to provide our broadband services in the future. This trial is the first step towards implementing our next-generation broadband platform.

We are working closely with our new BT colleagues to develop this next-generation broadband platform. This new platform will enable us to offer you a range of enhanced services and ultimately an even better broadband experience in the future.

Trial our alternative network!
------------------------------
In the next few weeks we'll be enabling access for you to try out the current implementation of our next-generation network. A simple change to your connection settings will be all you need to do.

We’re nearing the final stages of our internal trials and we’ll email you again with instructions when the trial is available to you.

During the trial you will be able to connect as normal; your password will remain the same and your account details and billing will not be affected. You'll even be able to switch back at any time by simply reversing the change. There are no extra charges, and we are confident that the trial network will provide for an excellent broadband experience.

What are the benefits of taking part?
------------------------------------
In the future our next-generation network will enable us to provide enhanced services to customers. By taking part you will be helping us to further develop the network and prepare for upgrades across our entire platform. We are confident that you will enjoy your experience on the trial and your feedback will be valuable to us. We will send you a voluntary survey during the trial.

What are the limitations?
--------------------------
The trial may not be suitable for advanced users who rely on the use of a Static IP address, as you will be assigned a dynamic IP when accessing the new network. If you don't rely on a static IP, or don't know what this it is unlikely you will be impacted.

In addition, our new Broadband Firewall service is not yet enabled on this alternative network. It is always good practice to be equipped with Firewall and Antivirus software on your PCs at home, however, if this feature is important to you – don’t make the switch.

Want to know more?
------------------
Hold tight! We'll email you again in the next couple of weeks to let you know when we're ready for you to access the new network. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please visit our Discussion Forums at http://forums.plus.net

Our "Plans for 2007" are available to read via our website at : http://www.plus.net/features/news/plans2007.shtml

Kind regards,

Phil Webb
Director of Network Services
PlusNet

http://portal.plus.net
124 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Plans for 2007 : Next-Generation Network Trial

What are the benefits of taking part?
------------------------------------
In the future our next-generation network will enable us to provide enhanced services to customers. By taking part you will be helping us to further develop the network and prepare for upgrades across our entire platform.

This is saying to me, if folks want BTVision/Liveview or anything similar they will have to transfer to RIN. Yes?

Does traffic over RIN pass through the PN network via the Ellanoya?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

It doesn't currently pass through the Ellacoya, although there will be future developments regarding this.

Fusion and Vision won't be depandant on the Retail Internet Network. Howver, I will double check this.
James
Grafter

SW,

Using Fusion over IPStream definitely isn't an issue, however currently it is believed that Vision will currently only work on RIN, although this may change in the future.

At the end of the day. RIN is good. Long live the RIN.
Liam
Grafter

This is part of our strategic long-term plan. We have the chance to work with BT to develop the next iteration of what currently is RIN. We're in a position now to be able to take full advantage of the Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBBC) product when it comes to fruition next year.

Vision, and any video on demand that requires good QOS, requires the quality of network that an IPStream implementation cannot currently guarantee.
sladkart
Grafter

Sounds interesting but I presume you need to be on BT Max for this trial. Can you confirm if LLU users are excluded or not?

Thanks
James
Grafter

We don't have any LLU users on PAYG, so they would therefore be exempt from this trial.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have no BB+ LLU users switched to PAYG?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

I mean that there shouldn't have been any that were moved across that were on PAYG at the time.

I've since been informed that some may have been, however, this trial isn't initially open to LLU customers.
The_10th
Grafter

Re: Plans for 2007 : Next-Generation Network Trial

The trial may not be suitable for advanced users who rely on the use of a Static IP address, as you will be assigned a dynamic IP when accessing the new network.]

Will the static IP address be the same one issued to customers if switching back from the dynamic IP address?

Also, how quick is the change back and are there extra charges in using these 'extra' services?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

If you take part in the RIN trial then you'll get a seperate realm to login with to the RIN network, if you want to access your static IP address then you can disconnect and reconnect with your existing realm and you'll get your current IP address. There's no extra charges (other than any extra bandwidth charges you may use).
N/A

Hi

I received this email today. Looks like someone has missed the website address out in this paragraph - it just says the word "link". You may want to fix this for future emails ?

Want to know more?
------------------
Hold tight! We'll email you again in the next couple of weeks to let you know when we're ready for you to access the new network. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please visit our Discussion Forums at Link

Cheesy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Thanks for pointing this out, I have flagged it up internally.

Shockedops:
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
johnmglen
Grafter

I recntly moved to PAYG but have still been offered the trial? Is this an error?
Community Veteran

There are approx 30K PAYG users, so it may take time to send all the messages out.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed