Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Maintenance Work

James
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

Hi,

Over the course of today BT are running some maintenance work on our new central - THN-AG1.

There is a strong likelihood that this will result in customers connected to the new pipe to see their session drop at which point they will be able to immediately reconnect to one of our other pipes.

The knock-on effect will be that advanced traffic (P2P/Usenet) will suffer, although once the new pipe is back up and running, it would be advised to try reconnecting to THn-AG1 which will offer improved speeds for those protocols.

As per:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/load.shtml

This will result in our operating under High demand operation, also known as "Plan B".

We'll then be spending the next few days rebalancing the platform.
47 REPLIES
N/A

Pipe Maintenance Work

Thank you ... I tried to understand that, but failed
Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

James, I notice you mention THN-AG1 being worked on. Dave says that PTE-AG2 is also suffering data transfer problems. I was connected to PTN-AG1 and was only getting download speeds of ~400kbps. My question is, are there any servers that are actually working properly at the moment? I've tried rebooting my router a number of times and keep getting onto THN-AG1, one time I connected to a server but couldn't even get anything so had to reboot again.

Shame, I was watching the Man U v Europe XI game but can't stream it Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Pipe Maintenance Work

The maintenance today was scheduled on THN-AG1, there was a possibility that customers would be disconnected but it wasn't a certainty.

The problem tonight is affecting PTE-AG2, all the other gateways (including THN-AG1) should be fine, but because a large number of customers have disconnected from PTE-AG2 on to one of the other gateways they may be seeing lower than normal speeds.
mitchell20
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

I'm currently connected to pte-ag1 and my PAYG speeds have also dropped through the floor in the last 30mins with latency going over and above 350.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Pipe Maintenance Work

That's probably because of the number of people disconnecting from PTE-AG2 and connecting on the other gateways. Best thing to do is keep an eye on status for when the problem is fixed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Pipe Maintenance Work

Should now be fixed, but the network is quite a way out of balance. If you're seeing slow speeds then disconnect and reconnect until you hit PTE-AG2 (we've got extra entries in RADIUS to help rebalance) and you should see higher speeds. Status will be updated in a few minutes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pipe Maintenance Work

@mitchell20

Have you had a closed ticket on your account in the last day or so saying
A modify order has now completed on this account to place the customer onto the new network.

If you have, try changing your login to <username>@plusdsl2.net
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mitchell20
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

No I've already checked for that. I did receive the email a few weeks ago though.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Pipe Maintenance Work

Should all be fine now. Looks like the maintenance was completed this morning on THN-AG1 without any disconnections and PTE-AG2 is now back up and working fine. Anyone still seeing slow speeds disconnect and reconnect and you should hit PTE-AG2.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

Whats the best gate to be on now then?
James
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

PTE-AG2 is currently the quietest.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

PTE-AG2 is currently the quietest.

I have noticed my sync speed varies betwen gates is this normal on the PTE-AG2 i get a really good sync speed but on the others its rubbish.
Mand
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

Hi there,

Your sync speed is not determined by which gateway you connect to, as synchronisation occurs before you connect to us.

Throughput speed can vary from gateway to gateway, especially in situations like we have now where the gateways are not balanced correctly.

As James said PTE-AG2 has the lowest number of customers, so should give the best speeds.
dennisb66
Grafter

Pipe Maintenance Work

Interesting stuff, but can someone please tell me where to find which gateway i am on. Shockedops: