cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping time maybe affecting my Vonage VOIP

azzabi

Hi,
A few weeks ago I had a problem with the main fuse box at home, the fuse box had to be reset a few time (15 times to be precise). I'd forgotten to disconnect my router from the wall and as a result it obviously connected/disconnected to the service 15 times in a matter of a couple of hours.
My Sync speed went down to 7616 from a previously rock solid 8128.
I have also noticed my ping time had gone up from pre problem average of late 20s early 30s to a whooping-VOIP-busting average ping time of late 90s early 100s. It is now not unusual that I see certain hops hitting the 150ms point.
I spoke to PN who assured me that my line has NO interleaving on it....
What else can I do?
My router stats are:
DL: Line att = 17db; Noise margin = 9db
UL: Line att = 10db; Nose margin = 19db
PS my vonage VOIP is all but useless because of latency! I have spoken to vonage who said there was up to 9 seconds delay on the line and have done a firmware upgrade on their device to no avail!

Please Help
7 REPLIES
N/A

when I used Vonage on PN I had real problems with pings etc.

anyway, you should be able to check your end whether interleaving is on as the router should have a status of INTERLEAVED if interleaved (surprise, surprise) or, if I remember rightly, FAST (for, I guess, 'fast' mode).

Anyway, have you checked with PN that Vonage is put in the Titanium (or whatever) queue it is and is therefore getting top priority? Might be worth checking - as they may only be prioritising their own PN VOIP service.

Hope something above helps...
azzabi

Since posting i have managed to get some more stats from my router and it seems like my line is indeed interleaved!!!

Connection Rate: 7616
Line Attenuation: 17
Noise Margin: 8

Interleave CRC: 2
Interleave FEC: 28
Interleave HEC: 0

Fast path CRC: 0
Fast path FEC: 0
Fast path HEC: 0

I am raising a ticket (question) and I will also ask for the vonage status on PN netwrok.... thanks for this tip!
N/A

no problem.

they will probably tell you to install "wireshark" and capture the signal or something absolutely ridiculous like that.

depending on your own satisfaction levels to date, if PN don't help you out (and i mean HELP rather than just fob you off) with this issue then I would seriously consider moving elsewhere... if they don't have a signature for vonage, and they tell you you're not interleaved, when you are, then they obviously have no desire to see you right.

let us know how you get on. you might get lucky and get told your vonage traffic will now be put in titanium and that you are no longer interleaved.... and all may then be well.... pigs might fly too... but we shall see ;-)

good luck!
azzabi

Thanks,
I have just come of the phone to PN. Very helpful and have placed an order with BT to switch interleaving off. This despite BT data showing interleaving as being switched off!!

I asked about traffic management and I was assured that all VOIP is titanium...
I will report back with updates.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Vonage is definately in the titanium queue. Hopefully turning interleaving off will have the desired effect here. Looks liek the router being rebooted by the fuse problem caused BT to think that line was unstable. The way the automated systems work is that they'll apply interleaving as a first fix if they see this, which of course will increase the ping times.
azzabi

Hi Dave,
That's what I thought, but when I phoned PN the first time, a few days ago, I was told interleaving was NOT applied to my line. I guess this shows that BTs data is not always up to date.
Fingers crossed once the interleaving is taken of my line I will have a usable VOIP.
I will report back once I see interleaving lifted!
azzabi

ongoing problem

Right..
I have as indicated above contacted PN CS last Thursday, an order was placed to switch off interleaving on my line. I was told to give it 3 working days. It has been 6 working days and about 10 days since.
Router stats is still reporting Interleaving as switched on, and my ping is still awful...
The question number is 21282315
Can someone from PN check it for me, please.