cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone rings, ADSL disconnects

N/A

Hi,

I've just discovered a problem since being upgraded to MaxDSL.
Each time the phone rings or I make an outgoing call my router (Netgear DG834GT) re-sync's.

Router stats are pretty good:
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 12.0 db 6.5 db
Noise Margin 15.0 db 11.0 db
Data Rate 8000

Speeds are excellent, normally around 7MB
No CRC errors in the router log and nothing else using any of the other phone sockets.
I've tried another filter (Excelsus Z-Blocker) but it still happens.
Telephone is a wired Telcom 275.

This has become more of a problem now as I am on the Business Premium product and use the phone whilst connecting to customers to try and resolve their issues.

The phone is relatively new and I did not have any problems at all when on Premier Option 1, 2MB product.

Any ideas anyone please?
16 REPLIES
N/A

It does sound like a faulty filter to be honest, your noise margin isn't that low after maxdsl so it's probably not that.
N/A

Cordless?

Hi,

Is your phone cordless?

If so you could be introducing RF noise onto your ADSL pair when using the phone. If there is a bad connection, in that pair (dirty contact even) you could get a diode action and impose a lf noise on the adsl line that would cause a high error rate.

If you phone is corded, then you must have a bad filter, or even a bad master outlet or misswired extension that is allowing noise onto the ring circuit and this is inducing noise into the main pair between the filter and the master socket.

cheers

Patrick
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The OP did say it was wired.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

sorry!

missed that bit

slap wrist!

P
N/A

Thanks for the replies Smiley
Yep the phone is wired and there is no audible noise on the phone at all, it's is very clear.
I'm going to borrow another phone tomorrow and I guess I could also try the phone on another socket and see how that goes.
Any other ideas?

EDIT
Just tried the phone in another filtered socket and it still re-sync's the router.
I have also noticed that there are no router logs showing any disconnections and I remain on the same pipe, currently PTN-AG2.
LiamM
Grafter

It does sound like faulty microfilters to me, but it could also be dodgy internal wiring.

Do you have any other phones / sockets in the house?

See if you can get hold of another filter? It could be that before MAX, your SNR was high, and the line being used dropped it to a level still acceptable by the router.

With MaxDSL, your SNR normally comes down as low as possible to get the best speed for you (upto 8mb) and though your SNR is now 15, the phone being in use will push this down further if you have a dodgy filter.
N/A

Thanks for the reply Martin Smiley

I think you may be right about the SNR, it was over 30db before MaxDSL.
I tried another filter on another socket with the phone plugged in there and it still re-sync'ed so it does look like internal wiring.

Where do I go from here though, open a ticket to PN and they they escalate to BT?

Do you think there is anything else I could try first?
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

It does sound like faulty microfilters to me, but it could also be dodgy internal wiring.

I agree with Liam - it could be related to the internal wiring. Have you tried / do you have access to the Master socket? If so a) what is the SNR when using the master socket and b) does it still drop sync when using the master?

I've seen situations where there are excessively long internal runs that induce huge drops in the SNR (35-36 to 18-19) but, more significantly, begin to behave like aerials, causing a variety of EMC issues.

By testing the connection using the master socket you may be able to eliminate this as a possible cause.

Neil
N/A

Thanks for the reply Neil Smiley

I do have access to the master socket and am about to test it.
N/A

Johnessex has done the following tutorial on filters and wiring.
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

There is a slight omission when testing at the master socket as for the last 15 years or so this socket as a half faceplate. Removing this faceplate will disconnect the internal wiring.
N/A

Ok here's what I've discovered.

Router directly to master - no loss of sync Smiley
Router to next socket - no loss of sync Smiley
Router to socket (next floor up) - loss of sync Cry

The offending socket has a length of cat5e cable directly connected behind the socket which runs up into the loft and down into the study which is where the router is connected.
So it's internal and the last socket, either itself or where the wire has been connected or the wire between the last socket.

So, how do I handle this?
As it's internal I'll have to pay but do I still go through PN?

Thanks for all of the replies so far, much appreciated.
N/A

Since Max for two weeks my downstream SNR was a steady 6db. BUT whenever the phone rang or I got the dial tone the SNR dropped like a stone to zero, never had the problem before Max.

A cable from the master socket goes to a junction box, with two extensions wired off from the J/B.

I have a Krone tool, so I remade all the connections in the sockets and tried a new ADSLnation XF-1e filter, no different . The J/B had screw terminals, so in desperation I went out and bought a new one with IDC terminals, and fitted it in place of the other.

Bingo!!! fault cured, to look at the old J/B and wiring you could not have seen any reason for a dodgy connection, but my SNR has remained stable at all times for over a week now, and no problem with the phone anymore.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Ok here's what I've discovered.

Router directly to master - no loss of sync Smiley
Router to next socket - no loss of sync Smiley
Router to socket (next floor up) - loss of sync Cry

The offending socket has a length of cat5e cable directly connected behind the socket which runs up into the loft and down into the study which is where the router is connected.
So it's internal and the last socket, either itself or where the wire has been connected or the wire between the last socket.

So, how do I handle this?
As it's internal I'll have to pay but do I still go through PN?

Thanks for all of the replies so far, much appreciated.

OK, as I suspected, it's internal wiring ;-) I've seen this a few times now.

PlusNet will not help with this - it's not an ADSL issue, it's purely internal telephony wiring. You could get BT out, but if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself, I'd go for a local independent installer - preferably on recommendation from someone you know.

Are you sure it's CAT5 cable? It would normally by POTS cabling, which is susceptible to such problems. My first recommendation would be to replace the POTS with twisted pair (CAT5), as this will normally eliminate the problem. If it’s already CAT5, then you need to look at the connections - could be corrosion, or poorly made insertions.

Before going further, however, can you confirm it is CAT5 cable and not POTS.

Neil
N/A

Hey Neil,

Definitely cat5 cabling.
I know a guy who works for BT and he also does work at weekends, I think I'll try him first as I have no idea about the connections behind the socket.
Sounds possibly like the insertions and hopefully not the internal wiring between sockets.

Once again thanks for taking time to reply.