cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone noise and BB disconnects

serenityvalley
Grafter

We've been having trouble with our line the past 3-4 weeks. There's often "noise" on the phone line and the BB connection is sometimes dropped when the phone is used.

I'm using a Netgear DG824M Wireless router and I've done the following:

Removed the recenty added sky connection.
Connected the filter to the phone line without first going through a powersurge adapter.
Tried a different phone.
Changed DNS settings (I actually had 3 or 4 days of peace after doing this, but I assume that was just a coincidence, because the problem came back yesterday)
Changed the microfilter.
Ran through the Fault Checker.

The phone seems to be at it's best when connected directly to the phone line with all ADSL equipment (and the filter) removed.

Is this likely a BT line fault, a BB fault or something else? Any advice appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

I'd suspect your filters first.
If they're the one-piece jobs as supplied by Plusnet or other ISPs, they're not very good and I'd recommend investing in some quality ones. You can tell which they are because there's a bit of cable 6 inches long in the middle.
I got these by ADSL Nation which sorted out my phone problems and are highly rated by the techies on the forums.
And you do need a filter on every extension that has something plugged into it, including Sky.

And if your filters are OK and there's still noise on the phone line, it sounds like a BT fault which you can report as a phone line (rather than broadband ) problem.
serenityvalley
Grafter

Thanks, but the filters are both of the type you describe. The original is a "Excelsus Z-Blocker" supplied by Freeserve/Wanadoo and has been working fine until now for 2 years. The replacement was something from Currys (I know, but I was in a hurry!) and seems to be of a similar standard - at least from visual inspection.

We'll take it up with BT and see what they say.