Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line dead

mapletree
Grafter

Phone line dead

Hi All,

My phone line has been completely dead for more than two days Cry , no dial tone and no broadband. Is it usual for the phone company to take this long to fix a fault? :x. I keep phoning them from work and they still can't give me any information.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Phone line dead

I'm not sure about the timescale - but I would say that when they do get around to restoring your service - make sure that ADSL is provided on the line.

If they have disconnected the line for some reason (even in error) they might try to get away with just re-providing the voice side. (and leaving you with a bill of £47 to get ADSL provided)
N/A

Phone line dead

i'm surprised noone has tried to blame plusnet yet?

Hope BT fix your phoneline soon, we lost ours for about a day and a half the other month and it was hell Sad
N/A

Phone line dead

Im assuming you have reported this to BT as a voice fault?
mapletree
Grafter

Phone line dead

Im assuming you have reported this to BT as a voice fault?

We use the Post Office "HomePhone" service for our voice calls and yes I have reported it to them (two days ago). I don't think BT will speak to me anymore. Wink

Mark
N/A

Phone line dead

Mark, this may or may not be of use to you but worth a try.

Linky.
mapletree
Grafter

Phone line dead

This only works for BT numbers. Thanks anyway.

Mark

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Mark64uk
Grafter

Phone line dead

i had a fault not to long ago same as you line dead no net it took over a week to get bt to come out to look at it.They didint come on the date they said either.

Mark
prichardson
Grafter

Phone line dead

Hi,

Although this does not apply in the majority of cases, lengthy faults such as this can result in downtime afterwards for the broadband service.

In many of those cases, it may involve a reactivation fee.

Infortunatly this is beyond our control, as the fault and cause is beyond our control.

That said, in almost all cases, you should not be out of pocket.

Our usual suggestion is to get to the root cause of the problem, and request that the party at fault reimburse you for the charges applied as a result.

This is highly sucessful, if only a little annoying, in getting things operational.

Kind Regards,
mapletree
Grafter

Phone line dead

Hi,

In many of those cases, it may involve a reactivation fee.

Infortunatly this is beyond our control, as the fault and cause is beyond our control.

That said, in almost all cases, you should not be out of pocket.

Kind Regards,

Thanks for the post.

I can't understand why another fee would be involved. I have already paid such as fee when I first got broadband. If necessary I will use the county court to recover any costs.

Mark.
prichardson
Grafter

Phone line dead

Hi,

As an Internet Provider, we simply get told that the broadband service has been removed from the line.

In order to get it back on, there is an activation fee of £52.88*. The process we have to go through is a standard provide, the same as when you first got broadband on the line.

When we are told about the service being removed, this comes through as a "PSTN CEASE". Due to data protection reasons, no further information is available to us. In honesty, we don't need to know, nor should we want to.

Reasons for this include a name change on the bill, some mistake by the supplier (eg BT) or even being shut off for failure to pay your bill.

As we are not aware of the cause, the only avenue we can take is to charge the associate provide fee and get you back and running.

As any dispute is between yourself and the party that caused it, you should take it up with them to reimburse you.

Internet providers are not mediators, and can only go through that standard processes involved.

[some mistakes fixed]

* The full fee is £52.88. £47 for the provide as I first detailed, plus a £5.88 (£5+vat) administration fee for the work involved on our part.

Kind Regards,
passer
Grafter

Phone line dead

Nice description of the process involved in this situation Phil. Thanks.
mapletree
Grafter

Phone line dead

Thankfully the line is now fixed and broadband is working Cheesy