cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Service payable by DD only -- why ?

N/A

Well I was looking forward to dumping BT and liked the convenience of one payment for my Broadband and phone.

I was on the last page of the signup process and I was asked to complete a Direct Debit form. I currently pay for my broadband by credit card. I don't want to pay by direct debit and cancelled the signup. I will signup in the future if I can continue payment by credit card but not otherwise.

Is there any valid reason for this restrictive choice of payment methods ?

Andrew.
27 REPLIES
N/A

I didn't know that.. I too prefer to pay by credit card (one bill for everything at the end of the month is easier) If plusnet won't allow me to pay by CC then I won't be willing to sign up at the moment...as I'm sure many others won't.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

You can pay by credit card for the home phone service, although there is a small monthly surcharge for doing so (£2).

This is because the costs of processing card payments are significantly higher than processing DD payments.
Community Veteran

there is a small monthly surcharge for doing so £2

For reference £2 on £15 is 13% ... not small and maybe unlucky for some.

For existing customers, already paying by credit card to PN, PN only have to adjust the amount taken per month. The argument is not strong.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

And the £2 surcharge is a whopping 18% if you go for the £11 phone service.

I don't see how this could ever be considered justifiable. With the hammering the banks are getting for their 'admin' costs on fees/fines which are now deemed illegal, could an 18% 'surcharge' be similarly construed as an illegal penalty ? Time to look elsewhere for a provider me thinks.

Andrew
N/A

I'm the opposite. I would not use a supplier that does not use DD or standing order. With these type of payments I am in control as I instruct the bank to allow or make payments to a 3rd party. Therefore I can stop the payments at any time and any over payments to the 3rd party the bank will refund.

With CC I hand over control to the 3rd party and I have to instruct the 3rd party to stop taking money. If an over payment as occurred it's only the 3rd party that can do the refund. The CC provider will not do any refunds or stop payments to a 3rd party.

The summary is with a DD I am are protected with a CC the 3rd party is protected.
N/A

Well that's a valid point pchambers, and worth bearing in mind. Credit card payments too have their advantages and I prefer to pay pretty much everything by cc.

I currently pay for my broadband by cc and simply assumed that the phone service would be added to this. It seems my initial post was erronous as on first inspection (I have not yet gone back to double check) the online application form stated that a DD was compulsory. An earlier post in this thread states it isn't but even so I still find the £2 surcharge on phone bills excesive when there has been no such surcharge on broadband bills.

Andrew
N/A

Looks like the 17% savings that can be made have just been wiped out there... :roll:
willhome
Grafter

At end of the day pn have tp pay a 3rd party money for CC payments. and also PN would prefere DD payments as its safer/ More sure they get there money as well.

So think of it as some of the £2 is for 3rd party and some is a deterent from using CC as pn want you to use DD
N/A

£2 is a small monthly charge? :lol:

To be fair most telecom companies charge quite a bit extra if you don't use DD.
docrobster
Grafter

Has no-one paid for a holiday or flights recently on the web? There is always a surcharge for paying by credit card, compared to debit card. This is because of the fees visa/mastercard etc charge the retailers- I don't blame PN for wanting to encourage people to pay by DD- it is a more efficient system to use.
I would never give anyone the power to take a recurring payment from my credit card- much harder to stop than a DD.
N/A

To be fair most telecom companies charge quite a bit extra if you don't use DD.

BT charges £1 if you don't direct debit.
N/A

I would never give anyone the power to take a recurring payment from my credit card- much harder to stop than a DD.

Either just inform the credit card company you've lost your card, so they send you a new one (with a new number), or more extreme cancel your credit card..
docrobster
Grafter

Either just inform the credit card company you've lost your card, so they send you a new one (with a new number), or more extreme cancel your credit card

I can stop any direct debit on my account using online banking, telephone banking or by calling in to the branch.
A lot less hassle than cancelling/reporting stolen a credit card.
Surely reporting your card stolen if it isn't is wasting police time also (I presume you would need a crime reference number)
N/A

A lot less hassle than cancelling/reporting stolen a credit card.
Surely reporting your card stolen if it isn't is wasting police time also (I presume you would need a crime reference number)

I didn't say report it stolen - I said report it lost.