cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Person or machine checked?

thehatman
Grafter

When I forward spam is it checked by a person or machine?

I don't want my own address to accidentally get flagged up as a spammer.

If a machine is checking it might misread something that's been through several forwards or addresses.

Also is it worth simply hitting "forward" in IE? (spam@plusnet or whatever is on my address book). I'm not prepared to copy headers, etc. It is a one button response or nothing I'm afraid. Like in Yahoo. But is that worth doing?
80 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Person or machine checked?

When I forward spam is it checked by a person or machine?

Both!

I don't want my own address to accidentally get flagged up as a spammer.

That is unlikely to happen, unless you actually are one Wink

If a machine is checking it might misread something that's been through several forwards or addresses.

Again very unlikely, headers are easy to read and forwarding email loses the previous headers anyway so only the last set are actually available.

Also is it worth simply hitting "forward" in IE? (spam@plusnet or whatever is on my address book). I'm not prepared to copy headers, etc. It is a one button response or nothing I'm afraid. Like in Yahoo. But is that worth doing?

You can just forward BUT it is much better to include the full header if you can, especially if you are stating something is NOT spam!
thehatman
Grafter

Thanks. Think I'll just hit "forward" to spam@despamchecker.plus.com

What pain all this spam is!!
holdtight
Grafter

Copy and paste the full headers into the email before you forward it

The spam is a pain yes and its getting worse or harder to control so a
quick header copy and paste will go some way to helping everyone Cool
N/A

WAlso is it worth simply hitting "forward" in IE? (spam@plusnet or whatever is on my address book). I'm not prepared to copy headers, etc. It is a one button response or nothing I'm afraid. Like in Yahoo. But is that worth doing?
If you mean OE then see THIS Wink
Community Veteran

webwise,

You should not create a new message. The original message must be forwarded with headers copied in as both the subject line and content are used to train the spam filters as well. Missing that information makes it less likely to be included by PlusNet.

That is why the advice is to always forward it to the spam addresses.
thehatman
Grafter

WAlso is it worth simply hitting "forward" in IE? (spam@plusnet or whatever is on my address book). I'm not prepared to copy headers, etc. It is a one button response or nothing I'm afraid. Like in Yahoo. But is that worth doing?
If you mean OE then see THIS Wink

Very useful.

I'll just do that then without opening the spam. As quick and safer than opening and forwarding.

It does mean that the text of the email won't be included but all the headers/source will.
Community Veteran

hatboy, see my earlier reply, yo should not send the email as a new message.

To both, PN have given details on what happens in this PUG forum thread where they also state the subject and message body are also key to the filtering process.
thehatman
Grafter

But that guide says you can send it as a new message. What is the point of this new Plusnet OE users guide if that's not the case?

I don't want extra steps. I need to forward in a simple way or I know I won't do it.

Basically I either cut and paste the header into a new message and send or forward the thing as is. Not both.

It is too much of a nuisance to do both. Which is more useful to PN?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wish they would sort out the ability to accept emails forwarded as attachments - that way the message would be exactly has received with all it's headers.

Perhaps they could have two extra mailboxes specifically for receiving spam/ham in that format?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

You should not create a new message. The original message must be forwarded with headers copied in as both the subject line and content are used to train the spam filters as well. Missing that information makes it less likely to be included by PlusNet.

Peter, in that guide I say to copy the complete email; that's full headers and complete message contents. That includes the subject line etc. As I have stated several times before, if you use the 'foward' button in OE you risk setting off the beacons embedded within the spam email.

I haven't seen the code that PlusNet users but if it was forwarded the subject would be prefixed with 'FW: '. Does PN account for this? The team should be able to use the full contents of the spam email without the need for the email be 'forwarded'. Fowarding just quotes part of the original message, so by using the complete email you are achieving the same effect as forwarding plus including the headers.

Can PN confirm, then, exactly how sophistated their scripts are and if the team are trained to read lines like:
Subject: What is the dosage guideline for Wonderc*m?
?

If the subject of the forwarded email is essential (and for some strange reason the subject cannot be read from the email contents, despite it being in plain text) then it would just require an extra step in the guide to retype/paste the original subject in to the new email...

Edit:
The original message must be forwarded with headers copied in as both the subject line...
On further inspection, the evidence myself and others have seen is to the contrary: several emails have contained offensive/bad words in the subject, yet they are still classified as innocent by the PlusNet spam filters. It seems that the subject weighting it not terribly high...I have also seen a post from PN which confirms this.
thehatman
Grafter

Censoring swear words in the subject line is a bit simplisitc.
Occasionally a legit email may contain swear words in the title.

So will it be OK to just cut and paste the headers into a new message and send? Like I said, really can't be link:censored to cut and paste header into existing message and forward. It is too much nuisance.

If PN made it really simple more people would bother and therefore better detection.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): On the subject of censorship, please do not try to avoid the swear filter.]
holdtight
Grafter

But that guide says you can send it as a new message. What is the point of this new Plusnet OE users guide if that's not the case?

This is not a plusnet constructed user guide but a guide put together by another member (webwise)

This is all adding to the confusion of forwarding spam and solving nothing so come on plusnet an official release is needed instead of bits and pieces of advice scattered around the forum and a proper mail forwarding guide for users to follow

hatboy as advised dont forward the mail as a new message but copy and paste the full headers into the original message and then forward it to spam@despamchecker.plus.com this is the only way the filters are going to be properly trained

Yes i agree plusnet should make this operation as simple as possible from webmail and it has been requested and i believe being looked into but these things take a little time

Like I said, really can't be xxxxxx to cut and paste header into existing message and forward. It is too much nuisance

Sigh :roll:
thehatman
Grafter

So if I only forward or only paste headers into a new message, which?
N/A

This is not a plusnet constructed user guide but a guide put together by another member (webwise)
I'd like to point out that it was not something just 'off the top of my head' - see http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56136 it was actually based on information from PlusNet etc.