cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perpetually delayed webstats?

Community Veteran

As I understood it, webstats were processed in the early hours of the morning, for the whole day that came before. However, the webstats that are generated for me don't appear to correlate with this notion, because whenever I look at them, the webstats for the day before the current day are always unusually low.

For example:
Today is the 16th of May, so the latest webstats I have showing are for the 15th of May. However, the stats are far lower than the average: average visits per day is 74, but yesterday is showing 13; average KBytes per day is 21463, but yesterday is showing 4401. Whilst I don't have any exact figures for what's happened in previous days, the same thing has definitely been happening for at least the last week or two that I've been keeping an eye on my webstats for; it's always very noticeable because the daily usage graphs always dip down drastically on the last day displayed (in this case, yesterday the 15th).

So what I'm wondering is, is this normal, or have I just got some uniquely weird webstats?
25 REPLIES
N/A

I have 3 domains and the webstats update for each are:

Domain 1 26th April
Domain 2 22nd Nov 2006
Domain 3 7th May

I've lost count any many times the problem has been resolved and the script been run to correct missing webstats.
Not in my case.
Community Veteran

Hmm, not quite the same problem as me. The script does seem to be running every day for me - just, it doesn't seem to process the most recent stats when it does so.
N/A

If I dont get my webstats every morning I howl about it in the PUG forums until the run is manually restarted. There is a script now which hopefully will do the checking for me.

Regarding the accuracy of the figures personally I dont know but Penny always seems doubtful about them. You can chat with her on the PUG forums.
Community Veteran

Right, now that it's a new month I've been able to be a bit more specific about the problem, because there's only been one day in June thus far for the webstats to have been processed on. Looking at my 'hourly usage for June 2007' graph, it only shows data up until about half past six in the morning. In other words, when my webstats were processed last night (i.e. early in the morning of the 2nd of June), they only processed data for up to early in the morning of the 1st of June. Then when they're run early tomorrow morning (the 3rd of June), they'll process the stats from early on the 1st to early on the 2nd, and so forth. In other words, the data processed is about 17.5 hours behind what it should be. Would anyone from PN be able to comment on this please? I'll raise a ticket if need be, but my experience of sending intricate/unusual problems like this through the ticket system isn't particularly confidence-inducing hence I'm asking here first.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Hi Thomas,

I'll ask around to see if there's a valid explanation for this behaviour and get back to you.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Ok, thanks Bob.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, the only thing we can put it down to is the possibility that the logs are getting copied/rotated at 6:30am'ish instead of midnight.

Pretty sure that's not how it should work though.

Is anyone else using webstats noticing this?

I'll check my account tomorrow morning and see if I notice the same.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Thanks for looking in to it. Obviously I can't say exactly how it 'should' work now, but I do know that the webstats never used to be like this - i.e. the stats were processed in daily batches of 00:00-00:00 rather than 06:30-06:30.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I know that in the past when I checked my webstats that they always included some stats for the following day, never really thought anything about it as I just assumed that the data didn't run midnight to midnight.
Community Veteran

That would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that the data is mostly a day behind for me - i.e. on the 2nd of June the stats which appeared were mostly from the 31st of May, with the first few hours of the 1st of June.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I know that in the past when I checked my webstats that they always included some stats for the following day, never really thought anything about it as I just assumed that the data didn't run midnight to midnight.

Was that during GMT or Summer Time?

Given that the internet is international I would gave thought it would have been sensible to run permanently on Universal time. Perhaps that would avoid the cock-up that occurs every spring and autumn.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thomas,

This doesn't seem to be happening on a test account I looked at overnight however I only generated a few hits against it to test.

Any chance you can screengrab the following page from your stats today and then do the same tomorrow so we can compare the different figures from day to day?

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This looks rather odd:

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Eserim
Rising Star

isn't it about time the "advanced" webstat package was upgraded - this one is 5 years old - a lot has changed - especially analysing search engine terms.