cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps an odd question (Broadband)

N/A

Hi people,

Wondering if you can answer a question for me, as the phone lines to get through to support seem to be maxed out.

I had a Premier BroadBand account when I lived at my previous address. I then moved out but kept paying the monthly fees as I knew 4 months later I'd move back in again (seemed easier than forking out cancellation fees and paying to the end of my subscription). The phone has been transferred to another individual for the last 4 months (same number), and will be transferred back to me this Sunday (again, same number).

Any idea whether I will need to do anything, or will my broadband still work?

Cheers,
Rob
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The fact that the phone line has changed to another user may cause you a problem.
BT will have removed the ADSL connection for the new user as that connection was in your name.
You really need to contact Plusnet (raise a question via Help & Support) to confirm what I'm saying here, but I have seen this happen in the past. Cry
Community Veteran

If the account holder for the line has changed then any services on that line are automatically cancelled by BT when the name changes. The fact that it will change again when you take it over means its even more likely not to have an ADSL service on it now.
N/A

Thanks for the responses. I figured that this would be the case Sad Does that mean I'll have to use the "Moving Home" option and basically say I'm moving from one house (as registered with PlusNet at the moment) to another house (the same one)?
Community Veteran

Do you have broadband at your current address?
If yes then you can use the "Move my Broadband" option.
If not then its going to be an upgrade from dialup to get your adsl back.
N/A

Not where I currently live, no. I'm basically still paying PlusNet for the connection at the address that I moved out of, which is the same address I'm moving back in to tomorrow. I'm thinking I've basically screwed myself over :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's amazing given the technology BT have (like being able to activate a line remotely etc.) that they are still unable to perform a simple administrative task like change the name on the phone bill without killing off the ADSL.

The cynical side (what me - never) thinks that BT are in no rush to change this as they must make stack loads in extra activation fees Evil
shellsong
Grafter

Presumably "activating" and "ceasing" a broadband connection requires an engineer to physically connect or disconnect a cable between two boxes!

Seems a bit archaic to me if that is true and would explain the costs in terms of sheer inefficiency considering the way it should be possible to have all phone lines terminated in a solid state router that could do the job with no hassle-- all phone lines ought to be ADSL ready with minimal engineer handling required for service switching, then any LLU equipment from providers would just need hooking up to relevent router ports

But there again I don't see why we faff around with twisted copper or aluminium pairs in this day and age! :roll:
Community Veteran

But there again I don't see why we faff around with twisted copper or aluminium pairs in this day and age! :roll:

Because the Government of the day decreed that BT could not use fibre to your home when the Telephone system was privatised.
This was to allow competitors to gain a foothold into the teplephone market.