cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance - Please advise

N/A

Guys

Hopefully someone can help me. I have been connecting to the same ftp sites all over Europe for years now before and after 8MB Max and never had any problem whatsoever. This also applies to MIRC (worked perfectly). I guess its important to add most of my FTP use SSL.

As of Thursday last week (first time I spotted it), It takes ages (minutes!) to connect to the FTP servers (hooks on authentication) and sometimes i cant even connect (peak and off-peak) ! However once I can connect my downloads are fast (400+). Also mirc can't seem to attach to any fservs. FTP's not running SSL seem to be FINE

Things I have confirmed
1) Early in the morning I dont seem to have this problem at all!
2) I have tried a usb modem and another router - No Joy
3) There have been no changes on the FTP servers and other users all still perfectly fine
4) I have not had any usage notification etc
5) Im a "business" user (teleworker) and therefore should be fine.
6) I have seen some other post from the back-end of last week where similar problems where experienced - authentication, slow speeds etc

Any cure to this ?-- driving me mad not been able to get the information I need - Affecting me now and that is not good !
49 REPLIES
N/A

I did notice that after i reached any of the "level x" management barriers, I could NEVER connect to a DCC on IRC during peak times.

It did sort of making running a channel via an eggrop bot a little tricky to say the least.
N/A

I am finding the same problem with DCC transfers using mIRC.

Early Saturday morning will start absolutly fine, by 09:30am it drops so low that the server drops the connection. I abandoned all my dowloads this weekend. Slowly getting the things I want during the week.

This is actually counter productive. I am using up more bandwidth with unsuccesful attempts to download files than I was using before. It is becoming very frustrating.

Speed tests are about the only thing that are showing a decent data rate.

I even ventured into using P2P software for the first time recently. I got a transfer rate of 2k. Gave up on that pretty quickly.
N/A

Ditto on DCC transfers. They've been pathetic for the last four weeks or so.
N/A

A bit more information ...

HTTP traffic (throughout all of this) is blindingly fast !

So given once the connection is made downloads are fast, early morning I have no problem (like the old days) - something has changed within the PN network since Thursday.

Interestingly a lot of other users are also experiencing it

I would appreciate someone from plusnet having a look at this ASAP
N/A

Just got home

HTTP flying - all others services dead !!

PN please reply !!
suec45
Grafter

PLease add your comments to the 2 'FTP slow' threads in the forum already Smiley

FTP is very slow for me too.
Dean
Grafter

Re: Performance - Please advise

Guys

Hopefully someone can help me. I have been connecting to the same ftp sites all over Europe for years now before and after 8MB Max and never had any problem whatsoever. This also applies to MIRC (worked perfectly). I guess its important to add most of my FTP use SSL.

As of Thursday last week (first time I spotted it), It takes ages (minutes!) to connect to the FTP servers (hooks on authentication) and sometimes i cant even connect (peak and off-peak) ! However once I can connect my downloads are fast (400+). Also mirc can't seem to attach to any fservs. FTP's not running SSL seem to be FINE

Things I have confirmed
1) Early in the morning I dont seem to have this problem at all!
2) I have tried a usb modem and another router - No Joy
3) There have been no changes on the FTP servers and other users all still perfectly fine
4) I have not had any usage notification etc
5) Im a "business" user (teleworker) and therefore should be fine.
6) I have seen some other post from the back-end of last week where similar problems where experienced - authentication, slow speeds etc

Any cure to this ?-- driving me mad not been able to get the information I need - Affecting me now and that is not good !

Were looking in detail on a number of issues regarding FTP / P2P speeds now. My colleague Bob is running the traffic management workshops over the next couple of days to answer any outstanding questions and get answers going forward.

Can you raise a ticket with all relevant information on and I'll take a look shortly.

thanks

Dean
N/A

Dean

Dean

Thank you for responding

I did raise a ticket last night -- and I have since responded to the ticket this morning

Happy to help in anyway to sort this out, feel free to contact me if I can help

Regards

Ky
N/A

I am so disappointed with Plusnet, I noticed this problem last Sunday when trying to update my website. I reported it on Monday morning and so far had no reply, would be nice to have some form of acknowledgement that they are doing something. Now it looks like it could take days! not very good when I have half loaded pages on my site.
N/A

Nicholsbrown

Do your transfer at 06:00AM == things fly at that time.

And yes I know that not good enough in the long run, but if its important to your site to complete the pages, then it is a work-around (although hardly ideal)

Ky
N/A

Finally got reply from Plusnet, a simple solution really, use FTP2 and it seems to be working Shocked Cheesy,
Let them all off for now :twisted:
N/A

Tonight Status

Things are a LOT better

Slight stutter but can get onto my servers and back onto Fserves (not tried P2P)

thanks
N/A

Tonight ..

Spoke to soon I guess : 23:05 and my FTP connections are dead slow again, cant even log on to some !
Ianwild
Grafter

Thanks for letting us know.

I think we may have found the underlying cause today, but it's not that straightforward to fix (Tonight at any rate)...

All the feedback we can get on FTP especially is valuably, and hopefully that will point us to solving the other reported speed issues.

Ian