cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Per account traffic shaping, controlled via the portal

batfastad
Grafter

I think this would be a really useful idea - I'd pay more for such a service.

Basically the option in the portal to specify say 5 ports or a range of ports, which you put in whatever priority.

Because there's only finite bandwidth between plusnet and you, that priority would be used to prioritise traffic down your connection.

It doesn't matter if you have a copy of smoothwall/ipcop with traffic shaping to allow good response for say a web server, as smoothwall cannot control the amount of data being thrown down the pipe at it.
Yes, it can act quicker on it once it reaches smoothwall, but I think it would be great to have something at the ISP.

I was looking at purchasing an expensive solution for QoS to guarantee service to our website, then I thought, hold on, I can't really control that.
We have a local contact/publication management database I've developed, and now we have many sections of our website driven from our database.
Risky I know, over an ADSL 1MB connection (I've been thinking about SDSL), but performance seems to be good.
I think something like this would be awesome.

Yes having a QoS is good for ensuring that your web server traffic gets before someone's FTP upload, but am I right in thinking that having something at the ISP would be ideal for controlling your downstream traffic?

I'd happily pay for an added service like this.

Obviously PlusNet can still have their overall dastardly traffic shaping plans, but I think this feature would be great for people looking to run web servers, VoIP and others.

What do you guys think?

Do any other ISPs offer anything like this?

Is there any point in having something like this?

Thanks

Ben
4 REPLIES
batfastad
Grafter

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Community Veteran

Sound's interesting, I'll wait and see what others have to sya.
craigbrass
Grafter

Yea, one of the modorating administrators should have a better idea if this is a good idea or not.
N/A

One snag, right now PlusNet could certainly provide a QoS product within their own network, but they have no control of the QoS once on the BT ATM network.

Kinda like a mail-order company offering a fast-track service, only to be at the mercy of the courier (eBuyer thread readers will see where I got this one from Tongue ).

BT are set to offer a product like this over their own network soon though. technical details of this, and possible future enhancments can be read on the Technical Documents website HERE

Unfortunatly, this only offers Downstream QoS, and no upstream (ADSL is designed as an information gather link, not exchange link. IE, is built around the idea you receive, but do little sending).

Page 6, Section 2.6 continue to page 7

However, please read page 9 para 4. This is likely to be a limitation you may not like.

Be aware, this will be a premium chargable service, that requires a lot of work on both the BT and ISP sides, and will be charged a premium based on the Assured Rate time. I am not sure if charge rates have yet been set.