cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer 2 Peer speeds

N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

Hi there,

I seem to have hit some problems with my connection. I started to use some peer to peer software at the begining of the week. I was getting download speeds of over 20kb.

My connection was down last night for some 12 hours. I have now noticed that I am getting only 5kb downloading from 10 hosts. I have a feeling that my peer to peer conncetion is being throttled!

My usage is only @ 0.25Gb.
Are they throttling p2p connctions Evil
11 REPLIES
N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

Yes... Almost everything is throttled... Evil
matster

Peer 2 Peer speeds

check that your router is configured to allow traffic on the port that your p2p client uses.
i find that at certain times of day, i get far more joy from p2p apps - usually between midnight and midday
during peak times i usually dont bother as there is too much throttling in place
edbangor
Grafter

Peer 2 Peer speeds

Depending what client you are using it can take time for speeds to building up once you are initially connected then, as the others on the links start to trust you (and your ratios improve) , your d/l speed will increase.
That said, it does work best off peek although upload speeds tend not to be overly effected (but then mine is so slow when compared to download anyway.)
N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

Thanks for the info.

My router has never been changed in the 3 years I have had it. It was working 100% until F9 dropped my connection. I have since rebooted it, with no chang.

I will however run my p2p software between 12am and 8 am to see if it is F( throttling my conncetion.

Suitable for downloads, gaming and networking[\quote]

What a load of rubbish
N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

Try rebooting your router to connect to a different gateway. There are many posts over in the +net forum and ADSLGuide about poor performance on certain gateways, reconnecting may improve your speeds.

The last service update concerning this issue was posted around the 18th. Perhaps Mark can get us an update from the F9 network bods Cool
N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

I've got to say I think this is more an F9 issue, why are too many people getting poor speeds on p2p. I was getting bad speeds before I left F9 and moved to another ISP. I can now download at upto 110k via p2p on a 1mb connection.

F9 are doing a lot of throttling at the moment even if you're within your bandwitdh quota. It doesn't matter if you've used less than 1gb a month or 15gb a month, you are still throttled to hell.

In all I think F9 have serious network issues at moment, I'm still getting mail notifications stating emails are delayed 48hrs+ - even royal mail can deliver post quicker than that and thats supposed to be snail mail.

In all from what I've heard and seen recently regarding F9 they seem to have lost a lot of support from it user base, and if they don't do something and start listening to customers like they said they would back in december I think more disgruntled users will leave them.

In this day and age they need to provide a service for the customer that is better that the others, and at a reasonable price, as it is you can find a just as good service as what F9 are currently providing a lot cheaper elsewhere.

regards
Mike
N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

i dont think my downloads are being throttled?

currently downloading via p2p on 50+ kbs
David_W
Rising Star

Peer 2 Peer speeds

First thing to do is to check which ports your P2P client is using, then change it to something like 32459 (you can find the reason for this on google).

Next you need to go into your router, its IP address is either 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 one or the other depending on the router.

In there you may see port forwarding, or services.

Create a new rule, call it P2P. You now need to add forwarding on the port number your P2P client uses. Any incoming traffic on that port will now be forwarded to your computer instead of blocked.

Restart your P2P client and wait whilst peers and seeds are updated. As you can now connect to them, and them to you, you should see a speed increase.

Finally, go into your P2P client options and limit your UPLOAD speed. If you dont, your Upload speed could strangle your download speeds. Dont set your upload speeds to 0 though, set it to a reasonable amount, I go for 15kps, and once download is completed release my upload speeds so I can get a 1:1 upload/download minimum.
matster

Peer 2 Peer speeds

The advice on port forwarding is sound and always something a newcomer to p2p should be aware of.

Notwithstanding this, with a fully configured router, I can watch p2p speeds vary considerably during the course of a day from being maxed out between midnight and 8am, then decreasing during the day to a low point in the evening.

Im not sure that I would observe these speed fluctuations unless there was p2p throttling happening somewhere.
N/A

Peer 2 Peer speeds

I must say that in the year I have been using F9 my p2p have always been 60k+ using limewire, providing I havn't went over my cap.
JonathanW
Grafter

Peer 2 Peer speeds

Some of the slowdown during the day could be down to the overall network management, but some of it could also be down to exchange contention. During the day, as the network becomes more and more utilised, we have to make sure that things such as streaming, VoIP and web browsing are still responsive, so less interactive traffic such as p2p can see some slowdowns. Then over night, when the network is less utilised, there's more space for p2p to run at higher speeds.