cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time usage warning

N/A

Peak time usage warning

I am on Premiere 1 which has a 20 gig peak time usage limit, why then have I just received this email?

"Your peak-time usage for this billing month just exceeded 11GB.

Although this is not more than your allowance, we wanted to make you aware of light restrictions to your connection speeds that come into force should you reach 13GB. These restrictions help you to stay within your allowance, and ensure that all customers receive the best possible quality of service."

Either I have a 20 gig allowance or a 13 gig allowance. Please plusnet make your mind up.

Peter
16 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Peak time usage warning

Hi there

The 20GB is your total allowance, althought light peak time restrictions apply at 13GB, and are then increased at 17GB.

More information can be found here

edit: typo
N/A

Peak time usage warning

Funny how I get an alomsst instant answer to this post but no answer at all to this one:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47875&start=15

Peter
James
Grafter

Peak time usage warning

Hi,

I've replied to your post and your ticket.

Apologies for the delays in placing the interleaving order.
N/A

Peak time usage warning

Hi James, thanks for the reply, the question I want answering is, when James Cowling said that the order had been place an the 1st of September (he also gave an order reference number) did it not happen?

Peter
James
Grafter

Peak time usage warning

According to BT's order system, yes.

But judging by what your router is telling you, no.
N/A

Peak time usage warning

Hi there

The 20GB is your total allowance, althought light peak time restrictions apply at 13GB, and are then increased at 17GB.

More information can be found here

edit: typo

What the heck does this mean?! This is the email I received about my 'free' usage upgrade:

"Your username: sjcoleman

Hi Stephen Coleman,

News about your broadband service.

Your broadband comes with a peak time usage allowance of 15GB each month. We're going to increase the peak time usage allowance you get to 20GB on the 1st August. Your peak time usage allowance is the amount of data you can download or upload each month during peak hours of 4pm to midnight.

Summary
-------
Current usage allowance per month: 15GB
NEW ALLOWANCE from 1st August: 20GB
Any change to price or contract? No

This increase won't cost you any more or change your contract - it's a completely free upgrade. You'll be able to see your new allowance on the View My Usage pages from 1st August 2006.

There are 3 reasons that our costs are lower and we can pass the benefit on to you.

A) We’ve talked about our Broadband traffic management before; it is being developed all the time and is working to the designed levels. This efficient prioritisation of our network traffic means we can deliver the products we advertise, use our underlying capacity fully, and still give everyone a good quality of service.

B) We have increased our overall capacity by moving over 12,000 customers to the Tiscali LLU network from the BT equivalent.

C) We have been looking at average usage levels and we are able to offer extra peak-time usage to customers with Premier, Plus, and Pay As You Go Basic.

Enjoy your extra peak time usage!

Kind regards
PlusNet Customer Support"

Please tell me where in that really long "we're giving you extra" does it say anything about throttling?! It does say it won't change my contract....but you have changed it by introducing the throttling haven't you?!

Geeze, I really hope that you go under plusnet, talk about giving with one hand then taking with the other! I'm actively looking into alternate ISP's, email & web hosting services now. When I find a group of suppliers that suit me, then it will be bye bye. To read about this in some random post on a forum, rather than in the email where you tell me about the upgrade along with the email problems I've been having for months is just too much! And no I haven't raised a 'ticket' about the email stuff, as we all know that the email system is about as robust as wet toilet paper at the moment, so bombarding you with 'get this fixed' tickets won't make a blind bit of use!

Steve, an increasingly <censored> (saving you the trouble) victim....
N/A

Peak time usage warning

It would appear that the increase in peak time uasge is not all it appears to be. Perhaps next time plusnet issue such an email it should include the hidden small print!!

Peter
N/A

Peak time usage warning

Considering before it was upped from 15Gb to 20Gb, that the throttling was already there and started at a lower level than it does now, then how is it not an upgrade?

Previously, it was 10, 12.5 and 15Gb for level 1, 2 and 3.

Now it is 13, 17 and 20 for levels 1, 2 and 3.
N/A

Peak time usage warning

I find it just easier to download offpeak if it is a large file.

Most P2P have scheduling in themSmiley
shellsong
Grafter

Peak time usage warning

Considering before it was upped from 15Gb to 20Gb, that the throttling was already there and started at a lower level than it does now, then how is it not an upgrade?

Previously, it was 10, 12.5 and 15Gb for level 1, 2 and 3.

Now it is 13, 17 and 20 for levels 1, 2 and 3.

How short memories are-- before that it was 30GB with no throttling then they decided Usenet users and P2Pers were having too much fun!

...And only just over a year ago there wasn't even a 30GB limit!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Peak time usage warning

Well if PlusNet spent as much time investing in capacity as they did marketing I am sure all would be fine. Good e-mail though, still trying to push the benefits of them near forcing people over to LLU to the customers detrement but for PlusNet's profit, even enough the service has been so unreliable (and I thought Tiscali's reputation was unfounded, thanks BTW for proving me otherwise) that PlusNet have suspended the transfers weeks ago (I was almost very sarcastic to use the word 'upgrade' just then).

It seems there is quite a difference between the actual level of what the caps are, and when the Ellacoyas kick in, in fact about 7Gb's worth (and yes I remeber the 30Gb as well). I class a cap as when the restrictions kick in, which funnily enough is at 13Gb not the 20Gb as the marketing department would have us believe.
shellsong
Grafter

Peak time usage warning

If I were in charge of PlusNet I'd be seriously considering legal action against Tiscali to help defray compensation costs Cool
N/A

Peak time usage warning

shellsong wrote:

How short memories are-- before that it was 30GB with no throttling then they decided Usenet users and P2Pers were having too much fun!

They are indeed, although if you want to go that far back why not go a bit further? I'm sure it can be arranged for you to go back to a nice 33.6k dial up connection at a few pence a minute if previous options bring so much joy? A few years ago a 2Mb commection would of cost around £50, sure we can bring that back too and pro rata it up to an 8Mb one if you like?
James
Grafter

Peak time usage warning

I remember when I was working at Pipex, they were selling a 2mbps 20:1 service for £200pm.