cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak-time usage management

N/A

Get rid of Peak-time usage management,other providers do not have it so why should we.I do think a lot of people will move on to someone elce if it keeps up,me for one.
22 REPLIES
N/A

ok. let everyone have a free for all so the network colapses. Well thats clever. :/

Just for the record other providers DO have it.

if your using the product out of specfication then move or upgrade. Its your choice. its a shared netowork and it has to be protected. it is not finanically feasable to offer a service without some form of limitations due to the current wholesale broadband market
N/A

The current wholesale market is the problem then. Let us all write to our MPs and try to get it changed. If MPs receive a few thousand letters to answer they take note pretty quickly. Think of the consequences if the road network were managed the way the internet is. One monopoly company owns all the roads. Many other companies sell motorists the right to access the roads, but if they drive too much their speed is gradually reduced to zero. In the middle you have another monopoly, road maintenance, who occasionally repair or build a road. Sheesh!
N/A

@mikepiff while your idea would be good. it wouldnt work.

Although BT own all the infrastructure. The reason the pricing of centrals is so high is due to OFCOM.... not BT.

Yes i know that sounds really strange.

OFCOM... the regulators are trying to spart competition from LLU providers. There trying to allow LLU providers to put there own requipment in alot of exchanges so that BT do not "own all the roads" as such. Once LLU takes off they will release pressure on BT to keep prices high... (which allow LLU providers to keep competitive). IF ofcom wasnt involved bt would simply lower pricing and put LLU out of the market. NO competition = no inivoation and most likely no maxdsl. Most likely we'd all still be stuck at 2mbit for the forseable future.

I recon in a year or 2 when LLU is availible to a large percentage of the population everything will start settleing down
shellsong
Grafter

Trouble is this is the same road we failed to go down before when Maggie and her Merrie Mobbe told British Telecom not to spend the loadsa money they had at the time on fibre-ing up the country like they wanted to but to stick to what they were famous for, like twisted copper pairs and singing switchboard gels, and let the professional, highly motivated, entrepreneurial cable companies do the job properly! Wink

Suddenly I have this feeling of deja vu! :roll:
shellsong
Grafter

It is interesting to see what an Adam Smith Institute report in 2001 said here.

It may be 4 or 5 years old and I hold no real brief for the organisation but I suspect that the bulk of it is not too far off the mark. When it was published they reckoned it would cost about £750 per household or £21billion for the entire UK to get the job done properly

Nowadays BT can't afford that sort of money and you can bet a few LLUs aren't likely to scratch the surface of the task that needs doing-- it needs proper government funding ideally but I don't think Gordon Brown is likely to be in the mood for that sort of Treasury expenditure!
N/A

The real problem is having a monopoly like BT in private hands, and who do we blame for that? What investment would an ISP have to put in every exchange to compete with BT? The whole situation is preposterous.
Community Veteran

Unfortunatly BT PLC still control the network, and the network is so outdated and so expensive to run no-one else can do it not even them half the time, the amount BT charge just for pipes is outrageous, however I am glad they are beginning to lower the price of LLU

BTW which government privatised BT? ah yes the lovely Thatcher!
N/A

Mentioning T******'s name is against the rules. :lol:

Don't we all love to bitch and carp about that party? Whoops, against the rules again. Shockedops:

Weather OK/? Off topic. Evil

Hey, I just noticed, there is no indication at all on this page as to what the topic Subject was! Is that a Firefox thing or is it the case on IE? No wonder I get confused! Wink
N/A

Re: Peak-time usage management

Get rid of Peak-time usage management,other providers do not have it so why should we.I do think a lot of people will move on to someone elce if it keeps up,me for one.

Good idea - still won't make plus net staff any happier on the phone.
Buyers market so I'm off to an unlimited account which is what I signed up here for 2 years ago.....
N/A

ok. let everyone have a free for all so the network colapses. Well thats clever. :/

Just for the record other providers DO have it.

if your using the product out of specfication then move or upgrade. Its your choice. its a shared netowork and it has to be protected. it is not finanically feasable to offer a service without some form of limitations due to the current wholesale broadband market

Some ISPs have it others don't.
I signed up for unlimited, Plus Net changed the rules.
You're right, I have teh choice so I'm off to a better deal at a cheaper price.
So bye bye.
N/A

I have just signed up to plus.net and have found the peak time management in place to my shock Sad I see it as a really good idea for your average internet surfer/gamer but if you like your p2p (like me) then steer clear... luckily im on a monthly contract here Cheesy Once I get round to it + done my research on ISP's properly... it's bye bye from me plus.net

Having said that, apart from the peak time management I think this ISP is really good and can't fault it.
N/A

silures,

Dont forget though the peak time management is only 4pm till midnight. The current 8AM till midnight is a temporary measure until the system has been fully integrated and automated ( estimated for mid - end feb ).

There are no restrictions for P2P off peak apart from the SUP ( premier ) or 50GB ( BB+ ).

Why not wait until the end of feb and see what the tides bring in? As you say your on a monthly contract so you havent got any cooling off period to abide by and if things dont work out at the end of feb then simplly move away.

I am not much of a P2P'er but I have been known to get mad with FTP which is classed as the same ( management wise ). I have found that scheduling for off peak is easy enough and tbh prior to the semi-automated situation 4pm till midnight never bothered me as a peak time period. I siply scheduled for downloads to happen midnight till 3:59PM, then do some browsing in the evening before going to bed.

Thats my suggestion anyway but its your call.

Regards,
N/A

silures,

Dont forget though the peak time management is only 4pm till midnight. The current 8AM till midnight is a temporary measure until the system has been fully integrated and automated ( estimated for mid - end feb ).

Why not wait until the end of feb and see what the tides bring in?

Why should we wait?
If Plus Net can't see an increase in demand coming and upgrade their systems to cope, then why should the consumer wait for them and pay for a throttled service?
As stated before, it's a consumer's market. Either ISPs need to keep up or loose the business to ISPs with better infrastructure planning.

I think the real bitter pill with Plus Net is originally the service was completly unlimited. They then threatened throttling, then they changed their mind then throttling appeared again.
I was on BB Plus. NOWHERE does it say this is a limited or time managed product. Infact, PN specifically lists the products that are time managed and they do not list BB plus.

Anyway. I've made my choice along with many others, I only have to wait 3 days until my new ISP gives me a propper service at under £18.
JonathanW
Grafter

Why should we wait?
If Plus Net can't see an increase in demand coming and upgrade their systems to cope, then why should the consumer wait for them and pay for a throttled service?
As stated before, it's a consumer's market. Either ISPs need to keep up or loose the business to ISPs with better infrastructure planning.

Its not as simple as just adding extra capacity to the network, as there are other factors involved such as the cost of this capacity and the fact that certain types of traffic have a more detremental impact on the network than others, due to the way that the protocols work.

I think the real bitter pill with Plus Net is originally the service was completly unlimited. They then threatened throttling, then they changed their mind then throttling appeared again.
I was on BB Plus. NOWHERE does it say this is a limited or time managed product. Infact, PN specifically lists the products that are time managed and they do not list BB plus.

When it comes to ADSL, during the long history of us providing these packages they have only been advertised as unlimited for a small three month period. This was something that was removed soon after it was included. Additionally, we carried out a change in terms and conditions in September last year for all accounts, so this is no longer an issue.

As for Plus, it has always been sold as a managed package that isn't suitable for bandwidth intensive applications.