cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time gaming.

N/A

Peak time gaming.

Is anyone else finding online gaming (Counter Strike, UT, Quake etc.) worse than it was before the introduction of throttling (or whatever you want to call it)?

When I joined +N gaming between 4pm and midnight was fine. But recently I can't seem to hit a thing at peak, my ping is 20-80 higher than normal, lag spikes and server timeouts. Out of peak its better (but no where as good as it used to be).

If I do a speedtest or tracert the server its fine. Is it just me going mad or are others finding similar things happening?
46 REPLIES
N/A

Peak time gaming.

Same here i have been getting pings of 300+ during peak times on BF2, used to be under 20 all the time.
N/A

Peak time gaming.

Glad its not just me noticing this - xbox live has got a LOT worse since this.

As far as I'm concerned gaming should be rated gold along with web browsing as far as throttling is concerned, the slightest lag can ruin a game.

Also, did I hear right that WoW works on a P2P system online? I wonder whats happening if this is the case?

Come on plusnet, sort it out for us gamers!!
N/A

:/

Worryingly I have the same thing and worse, my web surfing actually dies as well. I currently have a very long and open tickets raised about these issues. :/
N/A

Peak time gaming.

I frequently game during peak periods (Battlefield 2 mostly) and can't say I've noticed any increase in latency. I did notice a small increase back when I was upgraded to 2Mbit, but I assumed that was because my line's not all that good (this was long before shaping, etc.).

As for World of Warcraft, it only uses a P2P system to distribute the patches - the game itself is not P2P, and as such wouldn't have the P2P shaping applied to it.
N/A

Peak time gaming.

Glad its not just me noticing this - xbox live has got a LOT worse since this

Now this kind of thing is more worrying to me.

I don't use USENET so I don't really care about any form of shaping that happens with that. I do use P2P (torrents/Edonkey), my two torrents on the go at the moment barely hit above a collective of 20k. Dunno if this is good or not. But then again, I'm not going to sit about at my PC and watch my speeds and completion %age go up and down. Plus now I have a PC in a different room, I've just got the scheduler on. Everything downloads after midnight, with say, 2 high priority coming on during the day.

What I DON'T want to happen is for my Xbox live to go all gash. I got fed up with shooting at shadows when I had a crappy USB modem, USB WLAN and wireless game adapter. Don't want it to happen again with actual gaming! PLUS I'm going to get into the swing of online PC gaming (having now got a PC that can run things more advanced than Tetris). Don't want suffering on that!
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Peak time gaming.

Gaming traffic is ranked as silver, and as far as I know we have not dropped any silver packets since we introduced the gold/silver/bronze system.
N/A

Peak time gaming.

Coolio. I'm yet to pick up a new wireless game adapter, proof will be in the choco pudding.
N/A

Peak time gaming.

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed considerable performance problems while playing Call Of Duty online. My ping to the server never used to go over 50ms but now I'm intermittently getting responses of 140ms+ at peak times (usually 20:00 to 21:00 bst) . If I keep resarting my router I eventually get a better connection but its really annoying.

I'm also getting problems connecting at peak times. My router appears to start OK but when I open IE I get a page from BT saying that they can't connect me to my ISP. I have to restart it a few times before it connects.

I only switched to Plusnet about a month ago from Pipex, where I never had any connection issues. I'm starting to wish I'd stayed there.

Sad Sad Sad
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Peak time gaming.

Hi

We are monitoring the latency for all the queues, the latency for gold and silver today is the same as it was when the queues were introduced.
N/A

Peak time gaming.

I've noticed some lag in Guild Wars but I don't know if it is down to Plusnet or the Guild War servers or routing between the two.

Shouldn't gaming be ranked as Gold as it tends to be very latency sensitive? It tends not to use much bandwidth either e.g. Guild Wars consumes a massive 0.6Kb/s.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Peak time gaming.

At the moment it's a bit academic, as we've not dropped any silver traffic to date, it doesn't really matter if it's silver or gold.
N/A

Peak time gaming.

But shouldn't it be gold? Gaming online relies on a quality connection - the slightest bit of lag can totally destroy a game so shouldn't it be rated up there with web browsing?

And can you confirm that traffic shaping does not affect xbox live? Seeing as its a completely different structure to PC gaming, are you sure its not being hindered in any way?
N/A

Peak time gaming.

What does Gold Silver and Bronze mean in terms of queues etc mentioned here? I've done a search on here, and checked the Plusnet FAQs but can't find what you're talking about.

A link or more info would be nice. (I could guess and would probably be not too far off, but I'd rather see something official)
N/A

Peak time gaming.

What does Gold Silver and Bronze mean in terms of queues etc mentioned here? I've done a search on here, and checked the Plusnet FAQs but can't find what you're talking about.

A link or more info would be nice. (I could guess and would probably be not too far off, but I'd rather see something official)

They're not allowed to go into specifics.... I would guess. Or if they do respond u will get the usual 'this queue will only ever have an X% reduction during peak time' :x