cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time gaming still terrible

N/A

Peak time gaming is still terrible on BB+

I don't understand why as you apparently have all the relevant information for Live For Speed as noted on your list of defined games http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52984

Over 50% of the servers show up with pings over 2000/3000 during peak hours...though not all the time.
The particular servers I'm interested in are the STCC servers which are running on the same port range as Counter Strike. They specifically used this port range to avoid this sort of problem, as Counter Strike is hugely popular and most isp's that traffic shape have it on their list, as i see you do too.

Every evening you can guarantee to get these huge ping spikes.
Sometimes i will get the usual 20ms ping but it will rise up to 2000ms+ during the race getting me kicked, sometimes i simply cant join at all due to a 2000ms+ ping in the master lobby.
Come 11.30ish and its all back to 20ms pings and everythings fine.

This really isn't good enough PN. It appears you have all the relevant port information so what the hell is going on?

The quality of your service is so much better than it was a couple of months ago, it's a pleasure to be with you again tbh, but this is the one issue that's really starting to annoy me. Gaming is all i want to use my connection for during the evening..being restricted in my choice of servers is totally unfair.
I don't want to leave you now, as things are so much better than they were..hell, I'd even consider recommendations now if it wasn't for this stupid gaming problem.
Having to change my ISP, so I can race on the servers I want to seems an awful shame to me. Especially considering you apparently have all the relevant information already.

Can you confirm that the port range 27000-27050 is open for gaming?
42 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Getting someone to look at this. May be tomorrow though.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

That port range doesn't show up as Counterstrike. If the game isn't running on the standard ports from the games, which from a quick scan of a few forum posts seems it isn't and the ports they've picked don't seem to be ones we have for Counterstrike.

Could you raise us a ticket please with the port details and the IP addresses of the servers if you know them and I'll make sure it's passed on for review so we can ensure there's a rule set up.
N/A

Ok thanks Dave and Ivyhall

The server owners wont tell me the IP but I'll raise a ticket with the ports.

This is what is quoted by the server admins
"All STCC servers recently were moved to the 27000-27050 range, which we chose because it is commonly used for Counter Strike and therefore, in theory, exempt from most ISP's traffic shaping.

If your ISP is shaping this port, they are evil. Possibly even as evil as AOL." :lol: Tongue
James
Grafter

Makes sense if they have recently made changes. I'll get your ticket passed to Networks.
N/A

hi, i too am having a problem with gaming, although my ping is terrible off peak as well. I play Guild Wars and have been getting an average ping between 1500 and 2000ms, which makes the game virtually impossible to play (when i'm not being logged out that is). My speeds are currently restricted due to high usage, but i've never had ping like this before, even when BB+ had its problem month and i was running at 125kb. Can somebody help me out with this please?
N/A

What a load of rubbish. Sad
I raised a ticket, supplied a Wireshark grab, was told
"These ports have now been added to traffic management system as of yesterday. You should notice considerable difference now."

It's exactly the same as it was.

This obviously isn't the place for gamers.

I cant say I didn't give Plusnet a chance, but I give up.
time to find an ISP that can cater for gamers properly. This system stinks.
craiglay
Grafter

Have u rebooted?
N/A

Have u rebooted?

Have now..and all seems ok Smiley Thanks. Now why they couldn't have told me to do that in the ticket I'll never know.
I wouldn't have guessed to reboot after a change made to their system, after all the changes made don't just affect me do they.

Ok...so apologies for jumping off at the deep end chapsShockedops:

I'm off for a race....we'll see how it goes.
craiglay
Grafter

No Problem, perhaps a suggestion for Plusnet to add to ticket responses

It could have been either a congested pipe you may have been on or you traffic management profile is probably reloaded when you reboot.

Craig
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Glad that it's sorted for you. My first rule of diagnostics is always to reboot. A change to the rules like this though shouldn't need you to reboot though which would by why you wouldn't have been told to, so can only assume it must have been something else.
N/A

A change to the rules like this though shouldn't need you to reboot though

That's what i thought, it just didn't occur to me to reboot.
But I should have done the basics and rebooted anyway Shockedops:

Anyhow, lets hope that's sorted permanently now.

Thanks guys/girls Smiley
N/A

Now what's going on?
We're back to stupid pings in LFS, and it not even peak time.

It's the first day of a new billing month, so any restrictions that were on my connection can be ruled out as a cause.

I've changed gateway, and things are just as bad.

It's been perfect since you made the changes last week, now we're back to square 1.

Why on earth cant I get a few weeks consistent good service from PN?

Pleas could you look into this. Its beyond a joke.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

There's spare capacity on the network but it's not evenly spread at the moment, try disconnect and reconnect until you get on PTE-AG1:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml?supporta=networkpbroadb...
N/A

Sod this, I cant be bothered to have to keep rebooting in the slim chance I'll hit the right gateway. I've tried four reboots, by the time i hit the one your suggesting the race will be over anyway.
And surely if it were a capacity thing then it would be affecting all the servers? Instead its just the same ones that were a problem before I raised a ticket.
Other games seem fine too.