cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time changed?

N/A

Peak time changed?

Just downloading from newsgruups. Started at around 17:00 and it's a solid 800k/sec. As soon as 18:00 hit the speed has dropped to 28k/sec. I'm not over any limits and i've never borken any limits in previous months. Over the last 30 mins i've been reconnecting and I *think* i've been on every gateway now. All of them have the identical slow speed.
13 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Peak time changed?

Hi,

There hasn't been a change in the peak time itself, however around 5-7pm the network gets a lot busier as everyone gets home from school/work or finished their tea and goes on the 'net. Consquently there's big increase in interactive traffic like gaming and browsing and because these get a higher priority on the network than usenet and P2P these types of traffic will get slowed down.

I'd expect to start seeing increase again around 10-11pm.
N/A

Peak time changed?

So i've got a download speed graph "flatlining" at a perfect 800k/sec(ish) and as soo as 18:00 hits the speed drops *instantly* to 28k/sec. I know it was 18:00 as i'm listening to the radio via the net and this dropped connection for about 5 seconds just as the news started.

There is obviously some serious management kicking in @ 18:00
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Peak time changed?

I've seen a graph somewhere with someone reporting this sort of drop - but I can't remember where Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Peak time changed?

I'd imagine it happens to everybody. I can understand speed management based on network capacity. But this is not what's happing here. The connection is just being throttled back to 256k download speed.
N/A

Peak time changed?

http speeds - 2000k
usenet speeds - 20k

at this precise moment in time
N/A

Peak time changed?

Yeah mine is a perfect 20k/sec line now. I've given up.
amjrobson
Grafter

Peak time changed?

I have had this problem for about 2-3 weeks now. I think someone has made a traffic priority change on the network somewhere and Plusnet arnt admitting it.
N/A

Peak time changed?

If it was "choppy" speeds i'd believe that it was down to the normal priority management. Where it's a blanket flatline speed restriction on the protocol I don't believe it's the normal management. It's no surpirise they are not admitting it, I never expected them to really.
Fixes: 116

Peak time changed?

Hi,

There hasn't been a change in the peak time itself, however around 5-7pm the network gets a lot busier as everyone gets home from school/work or finished their tea and goes on the 'net.

Doesn't anyone watch Corrie these days?

Seriously, it has been said before many times but I fail to understand that the same usage occurs at the sme times day in & day out (should that be night in & night out). There seems to be no randomness in this.

Is there some sort of throttling on the network applied 'net-wide which is beyond the control of PN?

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Peak time changed?

As I said in another thread usenet isn't going to get full speed at peak times on Premier especially between 5-6pm to 10-11pm as that's when everyone's using the interactive traffic as you can see here:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml

You can see how much HTTP uses and you can see the streaming, gaming doesn't really show up because of the scale but almost all that traffic fits in during the evening too.

Usenet traffic gets a lower priority so will see reduced speeds because the priority goes to the interactive traffic.

Also the problem last night hasn't helped any because the platform isn't properly in balance, disconnecting and reconnecting so you hit the under utilised segment on THN-AG1 will probably give you better speeds but the best speeds on usenet at peak will be on PAYG.
amjrobson
Grafter

Peak time changed?

Ok that may be the case but what has happened in the last two weeks to dramatically change this.

I used to get between 100 and 390KB/s peak and this has been the same for at least 6 months. Now from about 2 weeks ago I get a snails pace between 0.1KB and 10KB. Surly something must have happened somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks ago to make this kind of significant change. I have raised a ticket on my account as I do not believe that this is acceptable.
N/A

Peak time changed?

I knew you were lying

Some of you will have seen fairly static speeds of approximately 20-24KBps between 6-10pm and vastly improved speeds outside of these times. I’ve seen reports of people receiving speeds of 400KBps at 5:50pm and then dropping straight down to 24KBps at 6pm.

Currently for Premier customers P2P is rate limited to:

- 12-2pm: 448Kbps
- 2-4pm: 320Kbps
- 4-10pm: 192Kbps
- 10-12pm: 320Kbps
- 12-2am: 448Kbps
- Outside of these hours, no rate limitations are applied.

Currently for Premier customers binary Usenet is rate limited to:

- 6-10pm: 228Kbps
- Outside of these hours, no rate limitations are applied.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Community Veteran

Peak time changed?

Hey Guys,

I'm locking this thread in favour of this one also on speed issues to try and keep the place a bit tidier Smiley