cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak rate times

N/A

Peak rate times

ok once again i come to the lovely comunity of force 9 for some help.

i recently got a email because of over usage during peak rate hours (which is fine so i wont do it again) but i looked at my useage meter and saw "peak from 8AM till mighnight." Whats going on here?

when i signed up to this, it said peak hours from 4PM till mightnight. so why has it changed?

can anyone clarify which is the right one?

thanks
15 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Peak rate times

Peak time usage for Broadband Plus has been 8am - midnight since traffic management levels were introduced. However this will revert to 4pm - midnight from your next billing date, in your case 20-04-06.
carpangler
Grafter

Peak rate times

Interesting. I thought the peak times were4pm to midnight. Everything on the F9 website says this as far as I can see (but hey, it changes all the time as far as I can see!!). My usage is 8.8gb 8am to 4pm and 7.23gb 4pm to 12PM. I assumed that my usage for 'allowance' purposes was 7.23gb and not just over 15gb. Can someone confirm what the times are as I (and others!) assume it is 4pm to Midnight. Does this mean I'm going to get capped now!.

Cheers, Steve
N/A

Peak rate times

Hi Guys I have recently been told by F9 that accountable peak time is 4pm to midnight.
My Premier option 1 peak allowance being 30 gig, with an overall reasonable threshold of 100 gig.
Below is the reply to my post on this issue.
(Agents names removed.)

2006-04-09
12:38:25
CSC Agent Actioned : Dear Mr Hitchins,
You are correct it is only peak time usage that ammounts to the 30GB limit. Please be aware that off peak time is not unlimited a figure to aim for is around 100GB although this will be dealt with on a case by case basis should your off peak usage be very high.

Regards,
lordhitch
carpangler
Grafter

Peak rate times

Even more interesting LordHitch, as everything on the website appears to say premier 1 is 15GB peak usage and not 30GB. Looking at your responce from F9 it is quite recent, so maybe they have upped the limit and not the website. Now that would be a nice suprise, increasing it and not reducing it Shocked

Now I am confused. I understand premier 1 to be 15GB peak usage which is 4pm to midnight.
N/A

Peak rate times

my account is the plus account, which has a 3GB limit on peak rate times and 50GB out of peak times.

all accounts should have the same peak times (4pm till midnight) i have the 8am till mighnight because of the management on my account.

if you over shoot your download cap (30GB during peak times in your case) then you get a warning and a managment thingy on your account till the end of the billing month which watches your usage more closely (as in what your using your account for, downloading, playing games etc).

i hope that help a bit Wink
Highlighted
N/A

Peak rate times

I was under the impression that F9 would start crippling your connection at 10Gb peaktime transfers on an Option 1, then cripple it even more when you got to 12.5Gb and once you were at 15Gb, you'd basically have a dial-up connection again.

They allow you to then get to 30Gb, but I have a feeling that's almost technically impossible with the speeds they allow you once you get to 15Gb.

Edit: Having just checked, that's overstating it a bit:

http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
N/A

Peak rate times

This is where ALL the confusion lies....

for Option 1 the OVERALL peak time limit is 30Gb
http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

But within this 30Gb limit, certain protocols (P2P, UseNet and FTP) have tighter limits
http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

I wish F9/PlusNet could make this more simple to understand, you need a degree in doublespeak to get round the AUP/SUP, T&C et al....So if I've got it wrong maybe the F9 bods can explain Tongue
N/A

Peak rate times

I also have been studying these new 'Peak/ Off Peak' times, and to be honest I am also totally confused, these are what I understand :-

Premier Option 1:

Total Peaktime usage ( 4pm to Midnight ) : upto, but not over 30GB

P2P peaktime usage ( 4pm to Midnight ) : upto, but not over 10GB -
      Which of course is included in the Total Peaktime usage

P2P Offtpeak usage ( Midnight to 4pm ) : upto, but not over 100GB

Please can some one confirm these times and sizes, I think others, like me respect the Peak Times 'bottle necks' F9 are trying to avoid, however, for us to be reasonable in these situations, we need clarity on this subject

Thank You
ed
Grafter

Peak rate times

Join the club im on red alert part 2!

This is how it REALY works on Premier Unlimited (no im not signed up to option 1)!!

10gb - you get a warning
12.5Gb - your speed is reduced to 2mbps & P2P slowed (im here :/)
15Gb - your speed is reduced to 512kbps & P2P stops (soon!)
30Gb - your speed reduced to 128kbps
if you repeat the last one 2 times in a row and dont move to higher package they put you on 128kbps forever!

I'm gona hit 15gb soon 5 days left on my billing cycle and about 500mb peak per day :/
N/A

Peak rate times

yes the new peak time allowance is bad, especially if you're a heavy user in the eyes of F9 - even if you only download 25gb you're classed as a heavy user due to the peak management is in place

F9 need to reliase that a lot of people work during the day, and thus are going to be heavy users between the hours of 4pm and midnight. Not many people are willing to leave their computers on 24 hours a day, especially when they are not there.

This is one of the reasons I moved to another isp as i use between 25-50gb a month and a lot is used during peak times, but was against having to pay for a crippled service...

At the moment on my new isp I can download as much as I want whenever I want, and have tested this with even p2p applications and obtaining full download speeds during peek period without my connection being crippled

regards
mike
N/A

Peak rate times

Mike which company are you using now then?? I've set my heart on eclipse but could always change my mind.

Cheers
N/A

Peak rate times

i'm currently using onetel at the moment

they've now been taken over by talk-talk and is now part of the carphone warehouse

well looking at their site you can still choose to get the unlimited package

but be warned if you dont have the call packages through them you pay £24 a month otherwise you'll pay £20 a month

ie - i get all uk calls (24/7) + unlimited broadband for £30 a month, i've now also got them doing my line rental as well.

Also not sure when they are upgrading people to maxdsl, but currently i'm on 1mb (max line can support on adsl), but they will be doing it

I've not had any connection issues since I moved in march, and not had any problems with downloading, p2p, online gaming, web browsing, video/radio streaming, email, etc, etc

Remember though this is my experience with them and I'm happy with the service.

My advice is look at all isps, and see which one suits you best for what you want to use it for - also freeola do an unlimited package but this is around £30 a month

regards
mike
N/A

Peak rate times

I've just been making some enquiries today about migrating to a new ISP and questioning them about the FUP's. Only one (so far) has seen fit to get back to me and that was within an hour of me e-mailing their sales dept.

However what they go on to say is that should I migrate I "will automatically be regraded to the fastest connection speed available to you on your line". - just what I wanted to hear.

As I couldn't find there FUP they kindly sent me a link.

Pertinent points as far as I was concerened...

You will only be affected by the fair usage policy if you use file sharing software such as peer to peer (p2p), file transfer (ftp) or binary newsgroups (USENET) during peak periods.

If you exceed the fair usage limit for your product then your broadband contention will be increased and the performance of your broadband will degrade. We will email you to confirm you have exceeded your fair usage limit. Restrictions will only be applied if you exceed your peak time limit in two consecutive months.

The fair usage policy currently relates to the Evolution Broadband service only. The table below shows the number of gigabytes (GB) per month that maybe transferred during peak hours which are from 6pm until midnight every day.

Option 1 Peak Time Limit - 20GB Off Peak Limit - Unlimited
Option 2 Peak Time Limit - 30GB Off Peak Limit - Unlimited
Option 3 Peak Time Limit - 40GB Off Peak Limit - Unlimited
Option 4 Peak Time Limit - 50GB Off Peak Limit - Unlimited

Packages priced at £14.99 £18.99 £24.99 and £29.99 respectively.

If I don't get a regrade soon I'll be leaving. I don't mind paying an extra £3 p/m for an easy to understand and what I consider to be fair FUP .
N/A

Peak rate times

I might be going there then. Shorter peak-times as well as bigger limits.

The question I want to ask is how well defined are the peak times, as I have exceeded 10gig (because I don't visit the bloody forums so I didn't find out about until I just went to check why everything is getting slow), and I noticed there was a marked drop in speed at about 3pm today, and last night the speed didn't pick up until 1am.

Is it dead on 4pm to dead on midnight ... as I am going to have to use the net sparingly for the next 20 days in that period of time. After that, I will probably cancel.

Glad I paid that extra £11-odd now so it doesn't cost anything.