cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak and Off-Peak Times feedback

N/A

Before anyone starts saying its F9's way, they getting rid of heavy users, etc, etc. I would just like to mention my findings over the past 2 weeks regarding the new usage policy, and F9 recommendations.

As you are all aware F9 now have 3 tiers, regarding their service performance and what they class as peek and off-peak

As a premier user I'm not against the usage levels they have in place, it is a lot better than some ISP's, and in the past I've tested how much I could download in a month, even downloading stuff I didn't want and still never hit the 100gb mark, granted I managed to top 45gb but neverless I think the limits are more than ample for users on an upto 2mb connections.

You will also be aware that F9 push for users to download between midnight and 8am, as this is a quiet period and not much bandwitdh is used. Well I've been noticing recently that downloads overnight are getting slower and slower, and stuff that would normally download in one night is now taking upto 4 nights to download.

But if I allow the downloads to continue after 8am, I can reach perfect speeds of upto 110k for a 1mb connection, yet overnight I barely reach 20k, yet previously I could obtain 110k overnight as well.

Now is this because users are now downloading overnight, thus increasing the bandwidth used, or is it because F9 are now throttling overnight connections, and allowing fullspeed during the day.

If it is because of more users downloading overnight, then F9 need to look at rechanging some of their peek-times as when your downloads go over into the peak period you start using your 30gb limit, thus causing a knock on effect for account management to kick in.

If F9 have started throttling users downloading overnight, then they will do something similar to above or even increase users bandwidth. Why should we have to wait 4 days to download a 350mb file, when we know you should be able to get it in a few hours.

any feedback on this from f9 support would be appreciated.

regards
walkerx
18 REPLIES
N/A

This is the reason I requested my MAC Key yesterday!

I have downloaded 22GB this month and am getting trickles of 15 - 20k rubbish, I can get that with dial up!!

In particular, 1 torrent had 435 seeders and I was getting 6k after 5hrs.

In the past I have threatened to leave & verbalised my feelings in these forums but I have ran out of patience.

They even had the nerve to ask me who I was going to WHY. What does it matter?
They haven't, arn't & wont listen to their established userbase so whats the point in gathering market research?

Sez it all when they closed the Customer Feedback forum!

Who knows I might return if the new ISP do not live up to their promise but I for one am no longer prepared to be complacent and subsidise F9 whilst they play around with their profiling.

Imagine: Download a missed program from BBC WWW, by the time it's finished, next weeks episode will be airing,
ukbrown
Grafter

Very good point on overnight downloads, maybe PN outght to do some research on how many shift workers use them as an ISP. These will have different peak hours, Maybe PN do not want these people as users either.
JonathanW
Grafter

Downloads over night should still run at close to line speed, on Premier packages, and certian downloads will run slower on Plus, if they're being done via nntp or p2p.

But there is no management in place and the network is still relatively quiet during these periods, so the slowdown shouldn't be being caused on our portion of the connection between you and the download source.

The renaming of the Customer Feedback forum wasn't something carried out by Force9, but was instead something carried out by the Forum Moderators who run the forum and are fully supported by Force9.
N/A

from my checks before 8am i was not getting the usual speeds i am acustomed to during the night.

during the day i would have expected p2p, etc to be managed, thus not be able to receive 110k on 1mb, yet that is what i've been receiving today.

currently i'm getting around 45k, which i would say was fine as my wife is on her computer using the net as well, if she weren't then would see it higher, but would have thought for this time of night i would actually be seeing lower speeds
JonathanW
Grafter

If you're on Premier and haven't been placed on management then you should see high speeds no matter what time of day it is, as that's the main idea behind the Clean To traffic management.
N/A

shouldn't be on management, as no emails to say have been put on, and if have done should only now be on for appox a couple of hours, as just checked usgae and showing 20.94gb peek usage, with 29.55gb overall, and as last day of billing should be reset at midnight tonight.

This is what I mean I set all downloads especially p2p to run overnight, but because of how slow it has been collecting overnight to during the day, I've had to keep them running all day to be able to get them before the link is not seeded anymore
N/A

Woodviews - I entirely concur with your findings. The overnight speeds for p2p are rubish.

I started a torrent tonight at 11:30pm and was getting 80KB/s - 8 seeds/60 peers. At precisely the moment midnight hit my download speed dropped to 9KB/s and has remained low ever since. I am currently getting 13KB/s with 18 seeds/75peers.

This happens night after night - its infuriating! I am doing my best to stay within F9's wishes by sheduling my downloads overnight but with speeds like this I am more and more forced to get them during the day - which means I will soon be throttled.

Its not on! If you want us to download overnight then give us our full bandwidth like you promised. At the moment I feel like you just can't win no matter what you do.

My Account type is Premier/2MB
N/A

But there is no management in place and the network is still relatively quiet during these periods, so the slowdown shouldn't be being caused on our portion of the connection between you and the download source..

Your Network Utilisation Graphs seem to show a different picture. They show that the Midnight to 8am period is the most extreemly heavily used part of the day and is not relatively quiet if compared to the network utilisation during the peak periods.

Its now almost 2am and my download speed has dropped stilll further. Its now 8KB/s Sad
N/A

I am sorry to have a gripe but I think to suggest that 8am-midnight is peak usage for all usage is totally wrong.

I can totally understand having the peak from 4pm till midnight, as that is when most people are at home & someone is likely to be on the PC.

I fail to understand how 2 thirds of the day can be peak with only 1 third not. That in essence suggests that people only stop using thier pc to go to sleep, 7 days a week.

Is it not more like that the home users are being penalised for the business customers, because we are getting bunched together?

Extract from the Business Broadband Usage Specs

Business broadband customers get priority on our network at all times. Business customers also benefit from a lower network contention.

A very interesting fact is that.
N/A

Hi,

Just like to say from the mods, that the forum has only been re-named, you are still allowed to post feedback questions into this area.

We have also changed the wording on the front screen to make sure users still know this.

Want to leave feedback about the F9 service, or do you need a little help from the community or F9 support. Then take a look inside and see how others can help. Please note these boards are not official support mediums - so please read the forum rules before posting.
N/A

okay i've added another column to my azureus to tell me how long downloading for, and here's result

filesize downloading for
349.96mb 11h 33m
349.32mb 10h 23m
350.18mb 8h 47m
349.52mb 13h 59m
350.33mb 13h 21m
349.75mb 2h 07m
348.06mb 1h 59m

all these are set to run overnight, but end up having to run through the day, when running overnight it is only the 1 machine connected to internet, so not sharing bandwidth with rest of my network.

this also goes through for most of the day, except for certain days of the week

but evenings, weekends it is gauranteed that all machines on my network will be up and running and this is when i would expect low speeds as sharing connection across my network, not overnight during midnight and 8am

all i can say is you need to change network settings or peek usage to compensate for everyone doing as requested and scheduling downloads for overnight.

Not only does it take longer for us to now download, but is also costing us more in electricity having to keep machines powered up all day to do something which should easily be done overnight.

ie a 4gb file takes approx 10hrs to download on a 1mb connection, based on this you can download 400mb an hour, meaning the files listed above should be fully downloaded within the 8hr overnight slot, which it isn't

so come on f9 whats gone belly up - was something miscalculated or has something else been put into place

regards
mike
ukbrown
Grafter

20.94Gb peak usage, means that you ahve used your clean allowance. You should see your downloads and otehr traffic decrease.

Azereus has a scheduler add in that works really well, not trying to teach you to cook eggs here though. I schedule as fast as posisble between midnight and 8. 5k either way the rest of the time. For teh month this will kepp me below the clean limit.

Ukbrown
N/A

Hi UKbrown,

Question for you. Is the 5k limit during the peak time for both up & down or just down? Is it for the full 16 hours peak time? Is it for everyday during the billing month?

Hopefully Force9 will get thier fully automated system in place as they say they will revert back to the peak time of 4pm-midnight once that is implemented.

Cheers

AL (one half of the DIrty Perverts)
N/A

20.94Gb peak usage, means that you ahve used your clean allowance. You should see your downloads and otehr traffic decrease.

Azereus has a scheduler add in that works really well, not trying to teach you to cook eggs here though. I schedule as fast as posisble between midnight and 8. 5k either way the rest of the time. For teh month this will kepp me below the clean limit.

Ukbrown

if you read my post, that was on the final day of my billing that I ended up getting 20.94gb peaktime because of the speed of the downloads overnight.

This is what i'm trying to put to f9, why are the speeds throttled overnight when they should be clean, especially when my 20gb peak usage hadn't even been reached.

the files listed should have come down overnight without any problems but over the past fortnight I have noticed that it is getting harder and harder to download a file overnight with a 350mb file taking upto 14 hours

now checking my usage for last month which ended last night this is the results

Dec-Jan Peak-time : 12.3GB
Total : 29.93GB

check last night when checked if read earlier posting the vmu was reporting

Peak-Time: 20.94gb
Total: 29.55gb

so somewhere along the way, the figures don't match up, if the 12.3gb is correct then I wouldn't have been throttled away so why did performance drop smack on midnight until 8am when it throttled to full speeds.

and yes I use the speed scheduler under azureus, and have it for full speed overnight 17k up and unlimited down, during the day i set it to 8k down, and after 4pm to 4k, yet recently to get the downloads i've had to disable the scheduling and have noticed that have been getting better speeds between 8am and midnight, not the other way round.

regards
mike