cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time

tcs2000
Grafter

Peak Time

Why is Peak Time treated differently for different accounts?

For BB+
8am to Midnight.
For BB Premier
4pm -Midnight.

Shouldn't Peak Time be the same for all accounts?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Peak Time

Just to confuse you further, BB premier has 2 peak periods for different traffic types.

8am -> midnight for P2P/Usenet/FTP

4pm -> midnight for SUP (all traffic including the above).

I believe once the traffic management is fully automated, the peak times for all products will be the same as the BB premier SUP figure (4pm -> midnight) and this is expected to be done around the end of Feb 2006.
tcs2000
Grafter

Peak Time

So basically all heavy downloading (PTP etc) has to be done after midnight.
Hmmm...might as well give up on any PTP downloading altogether to be within the imposed usage limits.
Community Veteran

Peak Time

So basically all heavy downloading (PTP etc) has to be done after midnight.

Yes, and no...

The first 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic in a month is unaffected by any traffic shaping and thus can be used up at any time, it is only after you have reached that amount that any speed restrictions are imposed during the peak periods only.
tcs2000
Grafter

Peak Time

How about a new package

Plusnet Nightshift
N/A

Peak Time

""The first 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic in a month is unaffected by any traffic shaping and thus can be used up at any time, it is only after you have reached that amount that any speed restrictions are imposed during the peak periods on""

Is any P2P/Usenet/FTP done between the hours of Midnight to 8am counted in your 20GB allowence?Huh
N/A

Peak Time

It's not supposed to be, but it does count towards the SUP.
I'm a bit concerned about something I read in another post. The return to 4 pm to midnight for ALL peak times in February has now become a definate maybe instead of a certainty. This is according to B.Brown. It makes you wonder now why PN spent money on a modified VMBU for such a short span of time.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

Peak Time

Worrying given the way PlusNet have acted of late, seems its now being said that the end of Feb is when peak-time will be the same for all applications (midnight to 4pm)

A firm statement one way or other is what's needed, a bit of honesty on PlusNet's part instead of all this camouflage with manual/auto and how hard it is, seems it isn't hard to restrict but hard to unrestrict........

Will PlusNet become the most "recommended" ISP by customers that's what they say they want, I honestly couldn't recommend PlusNet ATM.....
serenityvalley
Grafter

Peak Time

Although I very much wish to see a the "clean to" peak time inline with SUP, I do wonder what the point of a 20GB P2P/usenet/FTP limit, in a time period that already has a total limit of 30GB, actually is.
N/A

Peak Time

Ben Brown wrote in another thread

"Pretty much yes. I'm about as confident as I can be that once the automation is in place we will move the peak time for the "clean" allowance to 4pm to midnight so it is the same as the SUP. If that is not possible I'm also confident that it will stay as it is at present for a while.

We are in a rapidly changing industry however so I may be proven wrong, I must say that this isn't very likely though."

Thought I'd better show you what I'm talking about, just in case you haven't seen it.
Another case of " Jam tomorrow " ?
Regards, John Taylor.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Peak Time

Is any P2P/Usenet/FTP done between the hours of Midnight to 8am counted in your 20GB allowence?Huh

No, the 20GB "clean allowance" of P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic only counts the first 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP between the hours of 8am and midnight. Any P2P/Usenet/FTP usage between midnight and 8am isn't counted towards the clean allowance (although is still counted in your total usage as regards the SUP).

So for example if you had downloaded 20GB from Usenet overnight between 8am and midnight you'd still be able to download 20GB between the hours of 8am and midnight at full speed on our network, after which you'd still be able to download at full speed overnight and at reduced speed between 8am and midnight.
N/A

Peak Time

No, the 20GB "clean allowance" of P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic only counts the first 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP between the hours of 8am and midnight. Any P2P/Usenet/FTP usage between midnight and 8am isn't counted towards the clean allowance (although is still counted in your total usage as regards the SUP).

Am I alone in finding these policies completely baffling?

I don't have an issue with restrictions per se, but this horrendously complicated time / speed / protocol combo is just bizarre.

David
N/A

Peak Time

Thanks for that

As I've just started a new billing period (17/01/06) should'nt my level two management be reset?

As of now I'm still being restricted .......

Will PlusNet introduce a system where by users will be told when the 20GB peaktime level of P2P/Usenet/FTP is near, although there seems to have been a slight improvement as we now get emails telling us when we are being managed

How can anyone recommend PlusNet ATM when things seem to be altering daily/hourly and the customer seems to be the last to know

I have referals but I donot recommend PlusNet ATM and wont till PlusNet become more informative regarding management
I'm not against what PlusNet are trying to achieve but very unhappy at the way things are being done at present

Can you Dave tell me that peaktime will return to 4PM to midnight for all applications incl P2P/Usenet/FTP instead of B Browns comments

"" "Pretty much yes. I'm about as confident as I can be that once the automation is in place we will move the peak time for the "clean" allowance to 4pm to midnight so it is the same as the SUP. If that is not possible I'm also confident that it will stay as it is at present for a while.

We are in a rapidly changing industry however so I may be proven wrong, I must say that this isn't very likely though." ""

That to me is a worrying statement.........
N/A

Peak Time

How about a new package

Plusnet Nightshift

Thats the plus service, as its the only time you can realistically browse the web without hitting your cap.