cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Usage - contradicting themselves?!

trescodrucey
Grafter

Hi all,

seems my 14gb of peak time usage has caused my "second strike" of the year, and now my connection is downloading permanently at a max of 128kbps on Premier 1.

Great.

So how come published pages on their website such as
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml
Show the peak time usage i can use during peak time (same, 4pm - midnight) to be 24gb before i get a warning email, and 30gb before restrictions apply?

and also, how come that the OTHER published limit is 15gb - so yet again, i haven't reached the peak time limit. Sure, i've come close, so it's fair enough to place a throttle on my account for that month to prevent me from going over it.

But i'm in my new month, and 128kbps is what i'm still with.
18 REPLIES
N/A

sup

If as you say, +net have two published sustainable useage polices, and you are now in a new month then by continuing to throttle you they (+net) are proving:
1 that by being contradictory they ARE confusing their customers, this is not a tenable corporate position;
2 that they are in breach of their sla with you and therefore you can seek financial redress.
3 If otoh there is just one sup, until it changes on the 1st August (for all customers), then if you are in a new month - and still being throttled then you should formally request the removal of that throttle within a reasonable time period - say 48 hours;
4 Wait until the 1st August...!!
James
Grafter

Hi there,

By passing 12.5GB of peak usage, you hit management level 2 on your product. This has now been derestricted as of today as your billing date has passed.

The 24 & 30GB figures that you refer to are the Sustainable Usage Figures.

Exciting literature:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml?link=suptop5_bb3
trescodrucey
Grafter

So it's a new month for me today, i've had the DD paid

Can you please remove the throttle now then?

and what's the difference between the SUP and the 12.5gb cap?
N/A

The SUP (Sustainable Usage Policy) is a method of saying, each person during peak hours in the month has up to 30Gb to use. If they use MORE than that, they are unsustainable for the package they are currently on and it would be better for them to upgrade to a package with a higher peak time usage limit.

The inital Traffic Management is basically a method of making sure everyone has their fair share of usage at peak times. Certain protocols are prioritised through the network (VOIP for example) because they need to happen then and now and others are given a lower priority (peer to peer traffic for example).

They are two seperate things. The traffic management figures (on premier 1) are the 10, 12.5 and 15Gb totals, the SUP starts kicking in when you hit 30Gb in the month.
James
Grafter

Restriction is moved, according to our system. Are you see 128kbps this very second?

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
trescodrucey
Grafter

Yeah, shows a download of 968kbps, which equates to 121KBps
N/A

Are you see 128kbps this very second?

Yeah, shows a download of 968kbps

I think people are getting their KB ans kb's mixes up. Smiley
trescodrucey
Grafter

am i?

isn`t a download speed of 900-odd kbps = 120-odd kBps?

And how strange, for a day i had my speed go back to normal, and today it`s doing exactly the same thing, limited to 120 or there abouts
James
Grafter

Hi there,

If you had been SUP'd, you would be on 128 kilobits per second.

What kind of speeds are you gaining from the BT Speedtester?

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
trescodrucey
Grafter

Hi James,

Cheers for always replying.

908 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

So yeah, seems i`m on 128KBps

But this was lifted yesterday, wasn`t it?
Last night, i was downloading at my normal speed (around 180KBps)

Has this been put on again?
James
Grafter

Hi there,

If that's the speed that you are getting on the BT Speedtest, that means it's the speed you are getting on the BT Network, ie: any restrictions that we may have in place are not effecting that test result.

Meaning that we're not throttling you.
trescodrucey
Grafter

Hi james, very glad plusnet saw sense and put you on here!

anything i can do about this? why would this speed drop so much?
James
Grafter

Basically, BT have set their BRAS speed restriction at 1500kbps (kilobits). This sometimes happens if you have a rogue low sync event. It generally picks up again within 3 days.
trescodrucey
Grafter

how very dare they.

Thanks for your help