cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Management

N/A

Peak Time Management

I have just been informed that I am now under "peak-time management"!

Why?

After looking through F9 information pages I find it very confusing.

One page states that there is a fair usage level of 100Gb for 2Mb Premier, 150Gb for 4Mb Premier.

Another states that 90% of users use less than 10Gb so users over that will be subject to management.

Another states that "peak time" is 8am to 12midnight

Another states that "Peak Time" is 4pm to 12midnight

I have used 16Gb and have been told that I am under "management"

I am also confused regarding the management.

Another says you will have a warning before being put under management. (Which I wasnt!!!!)

One page states that you have seven days from being put under "management" before permanent management is applied

Another page states that you have 2 months within 3 being outside the limit before permanent management is applied.

I have had no warning e-mails, only one that told me I was under management.

Could somebody please explain what the hell has happened to Force 9 over the past couple of months?

I have a residential account and a business account with force 9 and I am considering moving both these accounts to Demon who do not apply management to accounts.

The pence that I save for having 4 referalls is not enough to keep me with an ISP that has lost interest in the value of its customers! Evil
29 REPLIES
N/A

Peak Time Management

Mate

I have just had the same thing happen to me, my monthly usage was 24Gb, approx 12 off peak and 12 on peak. No warning email, just straight on to management. Really cheesed off!!. Contacted them via email raising some of those concerns you have above. Basically got a silly email, with no explanation, just a link to there every changing usage policy.

I on broadband plus 2Mb, signed up October, limits were 30G peak or 100G off peak with peak time being 4pm -12.

Looks like it is 5G peak unknown off peak and peak time being 8am to 12midnight. Not one email to inform me of all these changes.

I AM CANCELLING TODAY, PACK OF LYING SHARKS !!!!
matster

Peak Time Management

Guys, there seems to be confusion all round, compounded by ambiguities in the traffic management and SUP statements from F9.

Example,
Ive been told Ive been put on peak time management.
VMU reports the following
8am to 4pm usage this month: 9.24GB
4pm to midnight usage this month: 17.96GB
Total usage this month: 27.52GB
(why midnight to 8am is not recorded is a mystery)

Now, according to the SUP, http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml?link=suptop5_general4
the peak time is 4pm to midnight. Okay, this means i have used 17.96GB of my peak time allowance.

Now, according to the traffic management statement,
http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
I am allowed 20GB of peak p2p traffic and, if I dont like this, F9 "recommend that you schedule any large downloads for off-peak hours (00:00-08:00)."
Err.. so peak is now 8am to midnight ?? This contradicts both the SUP and the way the VMU presents your usage.

Leaves me with just two questions.
Please explain to me what is peak time.
Please explain to me why traffic management has been applied on my account. (17.96 being less than 20)
(These are rhetorical questions - I have had no meaningful response from support)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Peak Time Management

Hi,

There are two peak times at the moment - 4pm to midnight for the SUP, and 8am to midnight for P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic.

The intention is to change these to a single peak time of 4pm to midnight a little further down the line.

The network traffic management of P2P/Usenet/FTP is in place to provide fast speeds on these protocols to the majority of customers during the day. What this means is that the first 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP downloaded between 8am and midnight is effectively clean and will be at full speed across our network. After the first 20GB any further P2P/Usenet/FTP downloads between 8am and midnight will get slower.

Without this type of management in the evening every customer would see slow downs in the P2P and Usenet traffic as they were doing a few months ago. The changes made give the majority of customers fast speeds all the time as most people don't get anywhere near 20GB in total.

This shouldn't be confused with the SUP which is something that is completely seperate and looks at total usage across all protocols and usage between 4pm and midnight in arrears.
N/A

Peak Time Management

The light is finally starting to dawn !

I understand the two different "limitations" now.

But there are still 2 things I dont understand.

1. Why I have been subjected to Peak-time management when My usage for past three months has been :-
Oct-Nov - 9GB Peak - 18Gb Total
Nov-Dec - 10Gb Peak - 19 Gb Total
Dec-Jan - 16Gb Peak - 27Gb Total

2. Why has the explanation of these two different methods of control not been explained properly? There has been a shambles of information, and it seems, some mis-information.

3. Why are the support staff still stating that "this is just a guideline"?
JonathanW
Grafter

Peak Time Management

1) The traffic management known as Clean To only looks at your usage for the current month, rather than looking back at previous usage. This is why we've recently altered VMBU again in order to show the full peak time for Clean To. Though the figures there are just a guideline, as it counts all of your traffic during the peak hours.

2) All of the information about this has been available since it was first announced at the start of December. However, untill recently there were no emails sent out to customers when they were placed on one of the traffic management levels. This is something that we have since rectified.

3) Because VMBU is just a guideline, as it shows all of your traffic for the day rather than just the affected protocols. The figures themselves are not a guideline for Premier accounts,as these are the actual figures being used.
N/A

Peak Time Management

Just got an e-mail from support telling me that I was off traffic management, which was news to me as I hadn't got one telling me I was on it.

Last month I used

43.26gb of which 13.19 was peek - Hardly excessive!

The new rules are confusing and contradictory and I think it's time to look for a new ISP and I've been with F9 for a long time (199Cool, however it looks like customer retention is not an important issue any longer.
ukbrown
Grafter

Peak Time Management

Silver Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Average - speeds up to 500Kbps

Bronze Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Restricted - speeds up to 250Kbps

Silver and Bronze, what's the difference, I cannot see one ?
JonathanW
Grafter

Peak Time Management

This is how traffic is prioritised through our network on a large basis, not how its managed for individual customers. Individual customers are managed depending on their package, and further information is available here by selecting the appropriate package from the drop down box.
N/A

usage

Can anyone clear up the usage on peak times so if you dowmload from 8am til 12 pm after 25 gig's clean speed ? if you download after 12 pm at night you have 100 gig clean speed a month is this right ?
ukbrown
Grafter

Peak Time Management

Bronze, Silver, still not clear no details in link that determine which slot I fit into. I may be blind, spell it out.

What determines if P2P is silver or bronze Huh
N/A

Peak Time Management

:twisted:

im gonna vote with my feet , and wallet - im off
N/A

Peak Time Management

1) 2) All of the information about this has been available since it was first announced at the start of December. However, untill recently there were no emails sent out to customers when they were placed on one of the traffic management levels. This is something that we have since rectified.

There's almost no way anyone can keep up with F9's ever-changing FUP, SUP, rules and 'guidelines' unless they continually and thoroughly search the site and keep asking questions on this forum. It's designed to drive away above-average users because this is to F9's benefit. If you are an above-average user (and Plus have published rough statistics) then you are as well making plans to leave now because anyone looking back over the last year can see the steady pressure to use less bandwidth or leave. So no point in clogging up this forum with complaints.

In the end though it comes down to BT's pricing policy. F9 can't sell bandwidth at a loss, nor can other ISPs so high users eventually will need to face up to the costs of their usage.
N/A

Peak Time Management

In the end though it comes down to BT's pricing policy. F9 can't sell bandwidth at a loss, nor can other ISPs so high users eventually will need to face up to the costs of their usage.

I'd question the loss bit. As F9 says the average premier user downloads 10gig per month and charge £21.99 I can't see how they are not making money.

There maybe a small percentage where they lose money but on the bulk they will be making a tidy return.

Does anyone have the figures for how much someone would have to download before F9 started making a loss, ignoring other factors like support staff etc?
quelquod
Rising Star

Peak Time Management

I'd question the loss bit. As F9 says the average premier user downloads 10gig per month and charge £21.99 I can't see how they are not making money.

There maybe a small percentage where they lose money but on the bulk they will be making a tidy return.

Does anyone have the figures for how much someone would have to download before F9 started making a loss, ignoring other factors like support staff etc?

Well, F9 have earlier quoted the wholesale bandwidth price as 60p/Gb and the line cost as £8.40+VAT (£9.87) so naively after about 20Gb F9 are making a real loss ignoring everything else. If you were to factor their overheads at say 30% this would drop to around 12Gb so I guess in that range somewhere they will start to lose.

F9 should of course try to get rid of anyone above that point because otherwise they will eventually end up uncompetitive against any rivals who manage their users better. Possibly a reasonable approach would be (say) 10-20Gb limit then payg?

This isn't solely an F9 issue of course. Any other ISPs who welcome high users will end up paying them to stay. If F9 use low users to subsidise high ones and noone else does what do you think would happen?
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!