cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Level 1 Management still on after 12am

johnny_boy_uk

I've got "light restrictions" (Level 1?) on my speed at the moment as I've reached 13GB of peak time usage a few days before the end of my billing month. This throttles my download speed to 1MB during peak time. (I would question whether losing 66% of your usual download speed really equates to a "light restriction" but that's another story).

I just noticed my download speed stayed throttled to 1Mbit until 12.15am. Is that normal? Isn't Peak Time supposed to finish at 12am? I hope those 15 mins don't contribute to my Peak Time Usage! Any comments anyone, apart from stop being so pedantic? ;P

I ran speedtest.net at 12.05 am which showed a 1Mbit download speed. Then I started an http download at 12.10am which maxed out my connection at 1Mbit/s.
As soon as 12.15am clicked around my download speeds shot up to the usual 3-4Mbit/s. For reference my current DLSMax profile is 4500kbps and my sync stats are as follows:

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 3808 Kbps 448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 4224 Kbps 580 Kbps
Noise Margin 5.4 dB 7.0 dB
Line Attenuation 21.5 dB 20.0 dB
Output Power 11.9 dBm 19.2 dBm

(Stats are at the low end of my typical sync speed but I've been testing how many line drops I'm experiencing over the last 3 days (1 drop) so haven't restarted my router since then.)

Cheers!

J
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 115

Hi

It's been said many times that the system can take several minutes (I've personally known it to be up to 90) to come out of peak and restrictions be lifted.

At the same time I have known it to be up to 40 minutes for peak restrictions to start after 4pm.

PN's idea is that this evens itself out for all users but I disagree as I suspect more users are online just after midnight than at just after 4pm!

Also, if you are on level 1 (13-17GB)- I assume you are on P1 - then speed should be limited to upto 2Mb.

HTH

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yep, the rule changes are applied at 4pm and midnight but each can take several minutes to completely process for everyone so you may find for example that the level 1 management is applied between 4:15pm and 12:15am simply because it can't process every change on the dot at 4pm and midnight.

Usage for peak time though only counts between 4pm and midnight regardless of whether the rule changes have applied or not.
johnny_boy_uk

if you are on level 1 (13-17GB)- I assume you are on P1 - then speed should be limited to upto 2Mb.

Yes, Premier Option 1 and on Level 1 management, but download speed is nailed at 1Mb max at peak times.

Should Level 1 really be 2Mb? Can anyone from PlusNet comment?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It's up to 2Mbps, it doesn't mean that it will always be 2Mbps and may well be lower.
johnny_boy_uk

Fair enough, thanks for everyone's input on this.