cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment method

darkgen
Grafter

Payment method

My existing Switch Card expires at the end of this month and I was changing my payment details to reflect the new card (which is now a Maestro).

However it seems this is not selectable choice on the drop down menu, only Visa, Mastercard and Amex?

Am I missing something? Do PN no longer accept debit card payments?

Cheers, Paul.
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Payment method

Unfortunately we don't take switch via the portal any more due to the necessity of monthly authorisation though if you call our support team they will be able to add this for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience,
darkgen
Grafter

Payment method

Hmm so sorry just to clarify, I'm unable to add via the portal due to a monthly authorisation process but If I phone the support services they'll add the card manally for me, i.e. a one off? Or will I have to do this every month?

All slightly bemusing.

Cheers, Paul.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Payment method

Sorry, that was a bit ambiguous. No, you only need to phone support once to add the card rather than doing it through the portal, but then you'll need to authorise your subscription payment via your members centre each month as you have been doing.

Hope that clears things up a bit,
darkgen
Grafter

Payment method

Umm I have never authorised a payment on a monthly basis!

Since inception of account It's been debited automatically.

EDIT. so if I do get my card details updated via the phone, I will now have to manually authorise the transaction on a monthly basis?!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Payment method

Yes, there will be an "authorise" button to allow the payment to be taken. It's because Switch cards aren't designed for continuous authority payments like credit cards. They are designed for one off payments only. Direct Debit is best in this case.
darkgen
Grafter

Payment method

Is this new?

I'll accept switch/maestro may not be designed to deal with this sort of transaction but it clearly has been happy enough to do so for the past 16 months, ao what's changed?

I'll suppose this will now affect all existing debit card users if and when their cards expire?

Direct debit is an option, however do pn apply a surcharge for using credit cards?

Cheers, Paul.
Mand
Grafter

Payment method

Hi there,

We don't apply a surcharge for not paying by DD, but prefer people to pay by DD as a rule as it makes things a lot easier all round. Smiley

With regards to the changes, I'll try and find out when exactly it changed but it's certainly more than a couple of months. We've been doing lots of work on our credit card and billing systems over the last few weeks to ensure PCI compliance.
darkgen
Grafter

Payment method

Regarding using DD, I'd imagine you do Smiley

But yes I would be interested regarding what has or has not been occuring. I can categorically say I have not had to approve or authorise any payment to my debit card since setting up the account back in feb last year.

Has there been any communique regarding this change of policy with debit cards?

Does that mean all other users currently using a debit card will now have to start authorising the payments on a monthly basis? or will it only affect people whose cards expire, like myself?

Cheers, Paul.
N/A

Payment method

*James muddies the waters a bit more....

When a credit card expires, there is no need to update the details either, the continuous payment authority will continue to be accepted for a card which has expired. So long as it was valid when the authority was given (and the authority was given by an authorised person) it will continue to be valid indefinately. (I believe 'losing' the card will force the authority to be cancelled Wink )

Most companies ask you to update details for the sake of completeness/housekeeping/good practice, but in reality its not needed.

The same policy applies to continuous payment authorities given on debit cards as I understand it, so long as its a deferred debit card.
Visa debit is deferred debit, because the transactions aren't recorded with your bank until some time after the transaction. No contact is made with your bank until after the payment has been made so long as the payment is within the defined 'floor limit' for a particular store. The 'floor limit' is why payments for your normal weekly shopping are processed pretty quickly, but if you buy something which takes you beyond the 'floor limit' you have to wait whilst the system calls your bank to check the funds will be available - in most cases though, even at this stage the transaction isn't recorded against your account, that will occur during the usual payments transfers (often overnight - but for smaller companies it can be every few days)

*ACTUAL* debit cards, such as Maestro cards authorise and record each transaction as it happens, hence you have to individually authorise the transaction.

How all of this fits with PN's policy isn't clear, but it sounds as if from some point forwards, the decision has been made to treat all debit cards as equal, and therefore bundling them with restrictions which are perhaps more restrictive in some cases than the issuer demands.

One further note;
Continuous Payment Authorities are an agreement between you and the retailer/service provider - You authorise them to request money from your account.

The only person who can cancel a CPA is retailer you gave the authority to.
This applies in the case of both credit and debit card CPA's.

Direct Debits on the the other hand, are an agreement between you and your bank, where you have authorised the bank to pay a specific organisation when they request funds.

It sounds a subtle difference, but in terms of cancelling payments you have significantly more power and rights. (Hence the direct debit agreement urges you to write to the payee if you are cancelling, but does not oblige you to - the obligation is enforced by the contract for goods/services you sign with the payee)

In summary;

Whatever the reasoning behind the restriction, if you have to commit to regular payments for *anything*, you should try and use DD, even the most apparently reputable companies can foul things up sometimes. At least with a DD you are out of danger after cancellation.

A general observation, rather than a specific to PN tale. Wink
darkgen
Grafter

Payment method

How all of this fits with PN's policy isn't clear, but it sounds as if from some point forwards, the decision has been made to treat all debit cards as equal, and therefore bundling them with restrictions which are perhaps more restrictive in some cases than the issuer demands.

Well, if the policy has changed, it would of been nice to of been informed, however my concern is not so much just for myself but also for others, have I merely picked this up because my card happened to expire or is it a case from August 1st that all debit card transactions must be monthly approved via the portal?

Regardless in my case I probably will just setup a DD.

It _would_ of been nice to have some forewarning though.

Cheers, Paul.