cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for a Ferrari and driving a Mini

N/A

I live on the edge of a city. Last year I was upgraded to the maximum bandwidth for my line given its attenuation etc. Unfortunately this was only 1Mb.

Is anything that is going on with our national telecommunications infrastructure going to improve my lot? I hear of free upgrades to 8Mb for those who can.

Am I likely to be able to upgrade or has the inequality in our broadband just got even greater? If am not able to receive the same level of service, will I be charged less?

By way of analogy, is it reasonable to pay Ferarri price for a Mini on the basis that they can travel the same roads?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there

You should get an increase in speed due to MaxDSL and will be upgraded by us free of charge.

This will happen over the next few months in much the same way as our upgrade to 2MB did last year.

You will receive an email when this has been actioned on your account.

Regards
Mand
N/A

I was promised that a free upgrade to 2Mb Broadband was on its way on many occassions by F9 support, through tickets and in this forum. When just about everyone was upgraded I enquired about when my upgrade was due, suddenly it appears my line can only support 512K, there was never any chance of it getting faster under the upgrade programme

Still paying the Ferrari price and driving a Yugo.
astarsolutions
Grafter

In regards to the up to 8Mb account you guys have had for the past year did F9 have an equivalent service titled 2Mb for a cheaper amount?
astarsolutions
Grafter

In regard to the up to 8Mb connection you guys have has for the past year did F9 have an equivalent service titled 2Mb for a cheaper amount?
N/A

In regard to the up to 8Mb connection you guys have has for the past year did F9 have an equivalent service titled 2Mb for a cheaper amount?

Yes, those of us paying 39.99 could have been paying 21.99 for exactly the same service if we weren't worried about being at the head of the queue when 8mb was finally available.

The only other benefit to the higher price was that about half way through the waiting period for 8mb they introduced this SUP thing that suddenly had a 100GB limit per month.... the people paying for 8mb in advance were given 200GB limit instead..... but I never needed that much.... All I ever wanted was faster upload speeds, I don't even want 8mb download speeds!
N/A

I am still a little confused about the upgrade.

If my maximum last year was 1Mb due to attenuation and snr after whoosh test, how can this change? Have the attenuation and snr limits changed?

Thanks.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Were people really paying an additional £18 a month just to be at the front of a cue?

If my maximum last year was 1Mb due to attenuation and snr after whoosh test, how can this change? Have the attenuation and snr limits changed?

I believe they have changed a bit but as F9 have said some peoples speed will go up, some will stay the same and some will go down!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The old limits for 1 and 2Mbps are pretty fixed and don't have much flexibility. If you have an attenuation of 60dB or more then you won't get 1Mbps, 43dB or more and you won't get 2Mbps.

However, there are more factors involved in determining the speed your line will support than just the attenuation. The SNR figure is just as important.

What DSLMax does is use all the characteristics of the line including SNR and attenuation to determine exactly what speed each line will support (up to a maximum of 8Mbps). It "rate adapts" to what it the line will allow. This can mean that speeds will fluctuate a litttle over time, but should make the connection more stable in the long run and no longer relies on BT's systems guessing what a line can support.