cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go Broadband Usage

N/A

Hi I wonder if any one can help me. I have just noticed that whenever I am logged on and not surfing or downloading, the usage meter is ticking away. Is this normal ?

Thanks

stanifortht Cool
21 REPLIES
thehatman
Grafter

There is a little bit of usage that is background noise. Not to worry unless it is excessive.
N/A

Broadband usage

I think that over 10 MB in less than an hour is excessive
N/A

Where do you find this information? If your using the VMBU, then it can report false results until it's corrected (or something like that).

Use a local bandwidth measurement tool that can measure what each program is using.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Broadband usage

I think that over 10 MB in less than an hour is excessive
It is excessive and, if correct, implies that something is accessing the internet.
Do you use any P2P apps.
Does your firewall tell you which programs are accessing the internet and how much they are downloading or uploading.
N/A

Re: Pay as you go Broadband Usage

Is this normal?

Unfortunately this is normal and has been for quite a while. The known problem is classified by PlusNet as low priority.

I don't need to go into the implications do I? Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It is perfectly normal for small amounts of traffic to be recorded when you aren't using the connection. When your router is connected there will be small amounts of background noise, pings, probes and virus scans, traffic that will just bounce off your firewall.

10MB in an hour though does sound like a lot, and something more than background traffic. I'm curious though how you can be sure it's an hour and not more. VMBU doesn't operate in real time and can be a couple of hours behind so it might be that an hour passed by in real time but VMBU's added the previous 3 hours worth of data (because it was 2 hours behind when you first looked at it and then fully caught up the next time).

Otherwise there may be something or someone else using your connection. If you have a wireless connection make sure that it's secure, and make sure you do a scan for viruses on the PC.
N/A

10MB in an hour though does sound like a lot, and something more than background traffic.

I agree and there are many more instances where the PlusNet customers' are not getting the bandwidth they are paying for: I could link to the appropriate posts if needs be. Smiley

VMBU doesn't operate in real time and can be a couple of hours behind so it might be that an hour passed by in real time but VMBU's added the previous 3 hours worth of data (because it was 2 hours behind when you first looked at it and then fully caught up the next time).

That is unfortunately the case... Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I agree and there are many more instances where the PlusNet customers' are not getting the bandwidth they are paying for: I could link to the appropriate posts if needs be. Smiley

There isn't a huge amount we can do about it though, if you are connected and someone port scans you on say port 25 we've no real way of distinguishing that from someone legitimately sending an email to a customers mail server running on their connection.

There's always going to be a small amount of background traffic. One thing we have been doing over the past few months is trialling a piece of software called Streamshield. One of things this can do is help cut out some of the background traffic before it reaches you.
N/A

There's always going to be a small amount of background traffic.

Agreed Dave, but as you said 10MB per hour is excessive.

One thing we have been doing over the past few months is trialling a piece of software called Streamshield. One of things this can do is help cut out some of the background traffic before it reaches you.

This piece of news sounds interesting, would you expand on this please? I'm sure that the PlusNet customers who feel that their pre-paid bandwidth is being mis-calculated would love to know how that problem is going to be resolved.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Agreed Dave, but as you said 10MB per hour is excessive.

Indeed, which is why I would suspect that something else is using the bandwidth, possible without the OP's knowledge.

This piece of news sounds interesting, would you expand on this please?

The press release is available at:

http://www.streamshield.com/news/press.php?articleid=41

with details about the Streamshield product at:

http://www.streamshield.com/technology/index.php

At the moment we are still doing internal trials so I don't have date when this would be available to customers, but one of the things this can do is filter traffic in real time so can filter out the virus probes and the messenger scams and stuff as well as filtering out certain content (e.g. trojans) which you can control via web based control panel.
N/A

This piece of news sounds interesting, would you expand on this please?

The press release is available at:

http://www.streamshield.com/news/press.php?articleid=41

with details about the Streamshield product at:

http://www.streamshield.com/technology/index.php

Dave you are pulling my plonker surely? The link you gave was well out of date or did you think I wouldn't check up on it? Wink

[LONDON, November 28, 2005 PlusNet, one of the UK’s most innovative and leading ISPs, announces that it is running a technical trial of StreamShield’s high speed clean internet platform. StreamShield’s technology enables ISPs to provide their subscribers with real-time protection against viruses, spyware, adware, inappropriate content and other internet threats
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

As I said, we've been trialling it internally for a good few months now.
N/A

hmm

Dave this appears to work for user---> internet traffic.

StreamShield’s technology enables ISPs to provide their subscribers with real-time protection against viruses, spyware, adware, inappropriate content and other internet threats.

I don't want a filtered internet, ill run my own security thank you.
N/A

I'm often suspicious of the data shown by the VMBU tool. I'm a light user, only using the internet for general browsing. Under normal circumstances my usage will usually be less than 100Mb per day unless I'm downloading big updates etc. However I've just been surprised to recieve an email stating that I've somehow gone over my 6Gb limit and an about to be billed for another 2Gb of usage. Here's how my usage breaks down this month:

7-11th Aug. - Normal usage ranging between 25-50Mb per day.

12-16th Aug - We go on holiday and turn the PCs off, the router remains on and background traffic acconts for 8-900Kb per day

17th-20th Aug - Still on holiday but usage shows zero, presuambly the connection has dropped sometime on the 16th

21st Aug, we come back from holiday and use 120Mb, a 'high usage' day by our standards as we catch up on everything that's happened on the net whilst we were away.

22nd August - 2.86 Gb!!!! WTF has happened here!? Having NEVER used more than a few hundred Mb in a day since in the 3-4 years I've been on plusnet PAYG this seems VERY anomolous. However I guess it's feasible that microsoft released some large updates whilst we were away that have just been picked up however.....

23rd Aug-Yesterday anything from 285-500Mb per day EVERY day. We turned the PCs off and went away from the 24th-27th so there's no way that viruses or anything on the PCs could account for the extra usage.

There is no way in hell I'm using this much bandwidth so what IS going on?