Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go call charges

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I very seldom use Pay As You Go dial-up but, occasionally, I do, especially if there is a problem with ISDN connection. I also sometimes use it to access other ISP accounts, but normally I use my pre-paid PN account.

However, in my innocence, I have been assuming that PAYG call charges were what they always used to be, about 1 penny per minute. This month, I happened to take notice of my telephone bill (there was a huge bill for a call to Romania which I had not made, and suggests someone has "hacked" in to my account somehow, and I am questioning it with my service provider. Anyway, that is another story.)

While examining the telephone bill, I noticed that my call charges for PAYG were 5 pence per minute. I had never taken any notice before. Is this what one would normally pay for a Plusnet PAYG account approximately ? It seems a lot but then maybe I am just out of touch. If it is not correct, what should the charge per minute be approximately / on average ?

I would like to know because the higher charge may be due to the call tariff I am on with Tiscali - £10 per month flat rate withe free national and local calls excluding 08Huh numbers. I have not checked the small print, but maybe it says somewhere that 0845 numbers are charged at a higher rate than usual.

If anyone can tell me what the normal BT price of a Plusnet PAYG call should be, it would be helpfu.

6 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I tthink the BT prices are 4ppm, 1.5ppm and 1ppm depending on the time of the call but they enforce a 5p minimum call charge, or at least, thats what they used to be when I used 0845 dialup Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

0845 numbers are lo-call numbers. I would have a look at that fine print to see what they charge.

Regarding the call to Romania I'd certainly recommend running a thorough scan for for spyware, there's a security tutorial on Usertools http://usertools.plus.net that you might find useful.
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks for the advice ! I already have Lavasoft anti-spyware, so I did as you suggested, and luckily found nothing. I am fairly careful normally and delete cookies more than once a week, for instance.

However, I am also going to instal a firewall as an extra precaution. Perhaps I should ahve done so sooner !
shermans
Rising Star

You are going to regret having replied to the above !!

I have installed a firewall and keep getting strange messages from Plusnet servers :

The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer [UDP Port 1027] from ptn-cdns02.plus.net [212.159.6.10][DNS]

and
The firewall has blocked routed traffic from 212.56.111.126 [UDP Port 1409] to 212.4.208.1 [UDP Port 123]

and
The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer [NetBIOS Name] [UDP Port 1027] from 218.170.111.35 [UDP Port 1027]

Is this significant ? Is there anything I should do to allow PN traffic through ?
N/A

Are you using a 3rd party for your telephone billing? I have noticed most charge more for 0845 calls than BT.
N/A

I tthink the BT prices are 4ppm, 1.5ppm and 1ppm depending on the time of the call but they enforce a 5p minimum call charge, or at least, thats what they used to be when I used 0845 dialup Wink

BT now charge 3ppm Daytime, 1ppm evenings and weekends on 0845 numbers (5p minimum per call). You can put them on your friends and family too and get 10% or 20% off that price.