cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pathetic Service

N/A

Pathetic Service

I've been with plusnet for 2 years and I dont know whats caused this rapid decline in service.

My connection has been dropping repeatedly in the evening having been upgraded to max DSL, which I didnt ask for.

It now takes 3 days to get a response from the question I raised, and 3 days for each subsequent response.

Finally I get a response and you tell me to test my hardware and to try different microfilters before you will do anything else. Yes really my hardware has worked rock solid for 2 years and now it decides to work only during the daytime :roll: :roll:
Im disgusted that I am expected to purchase new hardware and test my line before you will even respond properly.

I am furious at this rubbish service that I am receiving, especially from an "upgrade" which I never asked for. I want my old line back and I expect a response quicker than every few days. I will be looking at alternative ISPs from today.
37 REPLIES
N/A

exactly

ive been on plusnet for 5 month and the service is appauling i download all the time and i just get light speed restrictions as soon as my contract is up im getting rid of the service
N/A

Pathetic Service

Yet again I have been told to purchase new hardware. If i buy a new router at 50£ and the problem persists where does this leave me plusnet?
N/A

Pathetic Service

good day

ive same as you - and rightly plus net responded to my tickets - after testing the line - that the problem was my hardware.

i say again - becouse plus net was right - infacts the problem was my old modem - not specifically designed for the new 8 mb maxdsl.

worth a try ive purchased a new modem for only 20 £ - wich can take up to 8 mb adsl connection - and the problem of disconnections has gone !

i was thinking exactly same - i used my alcatel speed and touch modem for years - - - and never have any problems - but - with the new maxdsl now in force - a modem designed to take up to 500 kb dsl connection - wich worked also well with the 2 mb dsl connection - - was not working propely with the new maxdsl 8 mb -

offocurse i can not be sure about your case as im no bt technician or plus net technical - but in my case changing the modem - is what actually fixed the problem - - and only spend just £ 23 -

therefore if you still use a modem that is not capable and specifically build to take up to 8 mb - - changing the modem can be well worth the 23 £ you need to spend -

i repeat again - modems that are not designed to take up to 8 mb dsl connection will very likely give you problems - and disconnect from dsl now and than or in worst case very often.

this is the modem i got - and work wonders with maxdsl !!

http://www.it247.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.90/it.A/id.740/.f

ray
N/A

Pathetic Service

Thought the techies advised against USB modems for maxdsl - your link suggest you bought one - am I correct - if so you didn't get much good advise from whoever told you to buy a new modem.
N/A

Pathetic Service

good day

just to clarify - nobody told me to buy anything or any kind of modem - or whatever -

ive just changed my old modem - with that model -

surely as i said - that is my case - and really - im not expert - but - after changing the modem all problems i had - with regolar disconnections from dsl - are simply vanished ! gone ! - and finally i now enjoy maxdsl -

it work ! that is what matter ! while it was not working with a smaller capacity moden i had before.

anyway - i wish good luck to all those with maxdsl - as once it is working - it is well worth it !

that is all i can say !
N/A

Pathetic Service

My Voyager 105 USB modem (originally supplied by PlusNet for my 2Meg line) is supporting my upgraded 7.6Meg with no problems.
craiglay
Grafter

Pathetic Service

I too can vouch for new hardware. Just set up a new PlusNET account for someone as i am still very happy with the service (I'm on fixed 2Mb) and they were supplied the Voyager 105 USB modem. They ended up with MaxDSL. I have a Netgear DG834 router and as they had problems (constant disconnects, all times of day) I tried swapping them over. 5 days later, and the router only had to resync 3 times. Back to the Voyager, and constant disconnects. Incidently, I had the Voyager 105, and had no problems. Routers will ALWAYS be far superior to USB modems and are highly recommended.

Regarding the CSC, I have not had any problems with them, I asked to have the SNR margin increased (This is probably the cause of many peoples disconnection problems) and I had a response within several hours, resolved in a couple of days. They are taking the flak for a highly unstable and bodged BT service (MaxDSL) and stuck under BT's finger when anyone complains. Most of the problems are with BT's MaxDSL rather than PlusNET's systems. Its a pain you have to complain to BT through PlusNET.

Regarding speed restrictions, check on AdslGuide for most ISP's will now have a FUP, SUP, traffic shaping or any form of cap. "Unlimited" doesn't exist any more.
N/A

Pathetic Service

Actually unlimited does still exist with aol. However you do not get 250Mb of webspace, a forum etc. Nor a static ip.
N/A

Pathetic Service

Yet again I have been told to purchase new hardware. If i buy a new router at 50£ and the problem persists where does this leave me plusnet?

I was told to buy a screened modem cable and new microfilters.
The result, a higher SNR and higher attenuation, so a lower sync speed and still errrors. I already knew that the problems were the BT side of my line and the USB modem. The new microfilters were no better than the old and the shielded cable was a lot longer.

I told CS that I'd just wasted half the cost of a router (they told me that replacing my USB modem with a router would make no difference) and they said they didn't tell me to buy anything.

I now have a DG834Gv3 running on v4 firmware (don't know how to find that, it's not on the site) and my speed has increased. I've now moved up to a dizzying 3 mb/s from 2.5, and my attenuation has dropped, although my SNR is the same. Only the router will hold the line until it gets to 1 dB. The only resyncs I've had have been upwards. The cable supplied with the router is under 2 metres, the shielded one is 5 metres long.
N/A

Pathetic Service

The faults questions say to try alternative hardware. That doesn't mean buying new equipment. See if a friend or neighbour can lend you their equipment for a quick test. It's ultimately to ensure your line is OK, as this will avoid the BT callout charge (£64.63) if they come round to fix your line and it's found to be your equipment that's at fault.
N/A

Pathetic Service

@firedragon,
why are you taking 2 days to respond Smiley

i would get a new adsl router. and it is certainly worth telling us what modem you currently have ie make and model etc.

PN may well be right this time?!
N/A

Pathetic Service

TBH it's not a question of them being right or wrong.

it's purely question of them making sure you've done everything BT will ask in advance so they don't simply glance at the fault report (if it gets reported) and bouncing it back wasting everyones time.
shellsong
Grafter

Pathetic Service

Something a lot of people don't seem to realise is that a modem and/or filters that work perfectly well for "normal" ADSL could well be stressed beyond their capabilities when trying to cope with MaxDSL-- manufacturers have sometimes been guilty of supplying equipment that is only theoretically capable of working under such conditions but has not had real life tests
N/A

Pathetic Service

I'm taking 3 days to respond because I am fed up of the matter. I dont have easy access to a neighbour or friends broadband equipement to just test my line. I also dont understand why if plusnet change my line and I require new hardware, why they dont supply this?

If I quit plusnet and join another ISP they will offer me new hardware as part of the welcome new customer deal, once plusnet have got your money they simply dont seem to care.