cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past 2 days my 2meg Plus connection incredibly slow

N/A

Pages take ages to load, I have tried updating DNS, rebooting the router and all the little tricks and tweaks i can find.

Whats going on?

I put up with the huge drop in speed shortly after i joined, but this is slower than 56k browsing.

Seriously unhappy.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you tried a BT Speedtest?
N/A

hi m8 mine is very slow today only getting 2.5k downloading and im on 2meg line Cry

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

As Daniel has suggested above, run the BT speed test mentioned above and post the results.

It would also be helpful if you let us know what package you are using, ie BB Premier, PAYG or Plus.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

I am on 2meg plus.

@ 0100hrs i get 430 kilo bits per second (Kbps)

During the day my 2 meg connection tops out at a frankly shockingly poor 20kb/sec downloading from adobe.com or microsoft.com
N/A

@ 0620hrs I get 624 kilo bits per second (Kbps)

I shall take another one during the afternoon, quite what the point of having the speed tests when I am not normally using the PC seems pointless really. Its clearly a contention issue from these results.

My line Statistics have also worsened since I signed up from 17.5dB to 30dB.
Community Veteran

Have you checked your exchange for faults or VP capacity issues?
N/A

Hi there,

Yes, exchange issues/contention would seem to be the issue here.

Enter your phone number into the Exchange Checker and see what BT report the current status as.

quite what the point of having the speed tests when I am not normally using the PC seems pointless really

Every speed test you run usint the BT tool is recorded against your line. When you report the problem to PN for escalation to BT, they will see the test results as proof of the issue.

Whilst I have no doubt that BT are already aware of the problem, reporting it via a ticket will do no harm.
N/A

Results: Aberystwyth

Code: WNAE
County: Dyfed
Enabled: 31 Mar 2001
Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 05 Dec 05

Record last updated: 20 Nov 05

In the dead of night the connection is ok, during the day when normal people use the internet it slows to the point where its practically unuseable, things like google.com timing out, max download speeds of 8-9kb/sec.
Community Veteran

The ETA fix time is: 05 Dec 05

Unfortunately that date is just an estimate so it could take a little longer for BT to upgrade the Exchange.
At least you now know what the root of the problem is.
N/A

yes, but could plus give them some prodding to get it sorted please.
Community Veteran

you would have to raise a ticket and even then i dont think theres much PN can do.

Sorry!
Alecto
Grafter

you would have to raise a ticket and even then i dont think theres much PN can do.

!

Correction, there's nothing Plusnet can do to influence BT's work.
N/A

|I have been having a similar problem, i was told i could check my exchange (a tech novice) and was shocked to find it was red for almost the whole time since i joined Plusnet... fix dates seem to be put back often, was supposed to be Oct, then Nov not 5th Dec.. stil all red. hope its fixed soon as i was going to leave PN but they did say i would see dramatic improvments when the exchange was fixed so heres hoping!

Good luck and i hope yours is fixed soon.
Damian