cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully Slow Email Download

N/A

Hi all,

Downloading email (via POP) is painfully slow - just timed a 2MB email taking over 6.5 minutes to download == 5KB/s!!!

I can download from www.mirror.ac.uk at +80KB/s, and PN speed test is running at 50-60KB/s, so looks like this is an email-only problem.

NB, the delay is *not* during authentication; the download speed itself is very slow.

I'm stumped... any suggestions as to cause and/or solution?

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I posted about imap earlier PN have not commented. My e-mail program sayed on 80% for about 5 mins until I closed it down.

Coudl PN please check the imap servers.

A
Community Veteran

With the massive amount of email thats processed by the servers every hour it dosen't take long at all for a massive backlog to build up.
There was an outage earlier this evening so I suspect that this may have some bearing on it.
Community Veteran

It would be good if PN were to make some kind of statement.

I have never had an ISP which was never able to handle mail.

I know problems occur but this to frequent. The new system was supposed to be more resiliant.

Personally I don't think it made any difference.

A
N/A

I don't think it's a problem with PN's email servers - I collect my email from a different server and still had the same problem. I gave up in the end and went to watch TV. It had finally downloaded all 30+ messages in just over 30 minutes. It normally takes <1 minute as about 65% are small spam emails.
Community Veteran

status page has now gone amber for e-mail. When I checked earlier it was green!

The statement says email should now be being recieved. It's taking an age for anything to sync via imap.

Could PN make a statement on IMAP as well as pop3

A
TheFixer
Dabbler

I'd noticed the speed reduction in email, seemed to be after that major outage. This can't be a backlog issue I can only think it's something to do with the old/new platform conversion.
Any word?