cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pages for PDA's?

MrToast
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Do PN have portal, and especially webmail pages formatted suitably for small screen devices such as PDA's?

In searched the site but couldn't find any.

If the answer is 'No' can I suggest that PN consider it as a development.
16 REPLIES
danep
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Hi Ag

A nice idea but over GPRS it would cost more to check mail via webmail than to just let Pocket Outlook download it I would have thought. Over wireless and Sync, again Pocket Outlook is much easier and quicker.

I have replaced my laptop with an SPV M3100 and it's superb. A miniature PC in a phone. Can network without having to sync even over wireless, can control my home PC via the web browser, can collect email from all accounts including hotmail, can chat on MSN, play video, music, even GPS if needed. Oh and I can make a call or two with it as well....Only thing is the eye strain setting it all up!!

Now if only there were a few more decent PDA/Smartphone sites.

Regards
Danep
MrToast
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Hi Danep,

I realise it may be better to use outlook (or other mail client) but thats for the webmail that we have. It would still help if the portal were available in PDA friendly low data format so you could check help, raise tickets or whatever.

On one point.... how do you send mail from your mobile? What mail relay do you use? Thats where webmail for PDA could help since PN don't have authenticated SMTP for sending (as far as I know)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Pages for PDA's?

Hi guys,

Regarding PDA friendly webmail, try http://webmail.plus.net/xhtml.pl

As for the rest of the portal, whilst a good idea I don't think the demand warrants the time and money we'd have to put into developing it at the moment.

If sending email via your phone you would use your GPRS providers relay server. In my instance that's send.vodaphone.net

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pages for PDA's?

Hi guys,
If sending email via your phone you would use your GPRS providers relay server. In my instance that's send.vodaphone.net

...or use a phone service that allows text to email.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrToast
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Thanks Bob,

That helps.... will have a play.
shellsong
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

The PlusNet site is a major pain to navigate with a PDA-- I've been able to do it using Opera Mini on my Treo 650 but the site is extremely badly designed in this sort of respect, so I hate to think how a blind or partially sighted customer would get on with it

There is no real excuse for sites to be inaccessible to text only browsers or screen readers apart from sheer laziness on the part of the web designers and sorting this would improve accessibility for PDAs at the same time
N/A

Pages for PDA's?

Trying that 'lite' webmail link above gives me a :-

Sorry, Webmail has encountered a problem.

The error message follows: Can't locate object method "login_" via package "Atmail::GetMail" at /local/www/pn_atmail/webmail/libs//Atmail/GetMail.pm line 139. [Wed Nov 8 00:09:32 2006]

If you are having continued problems using Webmail or have encountered a bug, please provide details to our support team using the Help Assistant, including any information provided in the above error message.
OK
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@plus.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at webmail.plus.net Port 80

error....
shellsong
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Heh! :lol:
Community Veteran

Pages for PDA's?

On some devices and some websites, I find http://www.skweezer.net/ works well, it is a proxy that filters and compresses images so it is quite fast even over GPRS.

YMMV.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Pages for PDA's?

Trying that 'lite' webmail link above gives me a :-

I'm trying to replicate that but can't! Are you just loading that link and trying to login? What are you doing to generate it?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Pages for PDA's?

Just managed to get that error myself. Trying it from IE 6 on XP rather than from a PDA. Went to the URL, entered my username and password. Clicked on Read All Email, Click Previous, then Previous again on the next screen, then got that error. Could be intermittent? Could be one of the servers in the pool no playing with this version of webmail?

Phil
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Pages for PDA's?

I should say as well, I clicked back in the browser, and then can click around with no problem. Not managed to get the error again.

Phil
rslsys
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Fails for me the first time I click New Email option.
If I select All Email first then go back to New Email it works.
rslsys
Grafter

Pages for PDA's?

Sorry, Webmail has encountered a problem.
The error message follows: Can't locate object method "login_" via package "Atmail::GetMail" at /local/www/pn_atmail/webmail/libs//Atmail/GetMail.pm line 139. [Thu Nov 9 09:45:29 2006]

Meant to post this in previous!