cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packel loss and fluctuating pings through ag1

Lorian
Grafter

Anyone else having problems with ADSL connecting through AG1?

I just set up a router for a friend on his new install and he's getting 185kbs thoughput, 30% packet loss at ag1, first hop pings up to 120ms.

Jc.
7 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Are you sure this is something to do with AG1?

Have you tried re-connecting to get on AG2 and the problem has gone away?

I don't mean to sound funny, but the whole thing about Redbacks seems to be a big red-herring and may only serve to confuse things with the sort of problem that could be caused by a fault just about anywhere in the connection between you and us.

Cheers,

Ian
N/A

Re: Packel loss and fluctuating pings through ag1

first hop pings up to 120ms.

Logically, the first hop would be his connection equipment. Could it be at fault?
Lorian
Grafter

Ian,

I don't know for sure, because I ran out of time, I'll go back take a look when I get a moment. The reason I said ag1 is becuase that's what ping-plotter fingered as the culprit.

I might not get back there 'till tomorrow. I've pm'd you his IP address, maybe you could take a quick look for me.

Jc.
Lorian
Grafter

Re: Packel loss and fluctuating pings through ag1

first hop pings up to 120ms.

Logically, the first hop would be his connection equipment. Could it be at fault?

Credit me with a little sense, I mean the first hop from his router, not his PC.

Jc.
N/A

Yes, and what he is getting at is, when you do the trace, are the ping times to the router high?

Allthough AG1 is the first hop out of the network, the router still counts as a hop.
Lorian
Grafter

No, the hop to the router was reported at <1ms.

I've just got home, and things seem better on his connection (he's done nothing).

The incremental round-trip latency between his router and lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net is now around 24ms rather than > 110ms as it was lunchtime, and there is now no packet loss reported.

Jc
Ianwild
Grafter

Bear in mind that while there are no IP hops between you and AG1, this is the BT ATM network and in reality there are plenty of hops!

I would take a look at MTUs , but if your still having problems, get this raised via the new Contact Us wizard path we have setup and we will take a look first thing in the morning.

Regards,

Ian