cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTP affects my download speed

churtonst31
Grafter

I wonder if anyone can help with this. It's got me pretty confused.

I'm lucky enough to have a good, fast 2Mb connection, normally. But when I start sharing (legal) files over p2p, even if the ptp transfer rates are only 6kB/s, it slows up my entire connection really badly. (Doing a speed test gives a speed of < 512kBs.)

The connection is shared behind a NAT router with no ports being forwarded.

Any suggestions why this should be?
7 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I had this problem but it was sorted when we updated the firmware on our Zoom X5v ADSL router-- is your firmware up to date?

(I don't think the router could handle the high packet loads properly prior to the update!)
churtonst31
Grafter

Almost certainly not. I have a Solwise SAR 703... rather old school. I shall try contacting them for a firmware upgrade, although I'm not hopeful!

Thank you for the suggestion.
N/A

have you tried port-forwarding your p2p?
churtonst31
Grafter

I have. And admittedly I didn't experience these problems when I did. But then I was using different software, too.

Port forwarding would certainly speed up my p2p, but that is not my gripe. Could I reasonably expect it to improve the rest of my traffic (http) which is currently being throttled, eroniously.
Community Veteran

The older solwise routers have a limit on the number of sessions (connections) they can handle and when they run out (or run low), no more connections can be made so browsing slows down.

You need to limit the number of connection you P2P app uses to below 200 MAX in total and see if that improves things. If not, reduce it further. Due to it's age, it's unlikely to have a firmware upgrade to incrase the number of connections like the solwise SAR 110 & 130 did which suffered the same problem.

This is a common problem with older routers as they were not designed to cope with P2P apps and they tend to lockup or can't cope with the number of connections that P2P apps use.

You say you are limiting to 6Kbs, is this download only or have you also limited upload speeds. If you aren't limiting upload then you may be saturating your upload bandwidth and not allowing incoming packets to be acknowledge. Yo should limit upload to no moew than 10Kbs and see what happens.
churtonst31
Grafter

Thanks very much for these responses so quickly! Very much appreciated. We'll try some of these things and see if it helps at all.

Thanks again.
Community Veteran

And to prove the above see http://www.voipvox.co.uk/forum/thread44956.html (scroll past all the adverts).

Limit both upload and download bandwidth AND the number of connections and you should reach a happy medium.