cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSTN cease

N/A

PSTN cease

First post so be gentle with me.... Smiley

Moved into a new rented house on 3rd sept, found that the landlord still had the phone line connected as she'd only just moved out and so we registered with Plus.net for ADSL...

Forward two months....

Landlord asks us to take over responsibility for the phone line so we keep exactly the same phone number just change the name on the account....

Forward a week....

Email arrived from Plus.net this afternoon stating that a "PSTN cease" had occured on our phone line and we have to contact BT to get it stopped.

Contact BT and they say it's Plus.net responsibility

Contact Plus.net and they say (and I agree) that it was BT residential who initiated the PSTN cease so BT are the ones to sort it...

Repeat with being past back from one to the other.

Finally get a woman at BT that talks to BT Wholesale who apparently tell her that if Plus.net email BT wholesale giving the Eco (sp??) details they will cancel the PSTN cease.

I tell Plus.net and they say - ok we'll send the email but doubt it will work.

Anyone experienced this and sorted it out? Don't want to lose my ADSL and have to have it reactivated costing me over £50 Sad

I've got till the 22nd Nov when it apparently cuts-off.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

PSTN cease

Hi,

As you've probably realised, after speaking to the support guys, this is something that does happen and there's little that we can do about it.

The best advice that ca be given, should the cease actually complete, would be to get onto BTR and you might be able to talk to someone about BTR paying for the reprovide, due to the fact that they are responsible for you loosing the connection. Though this would lead to downtime.
N/A

PSTN cease

But surely as I'm Plus.net customer and Plus.net deal with BT Wholesale all the time couldn't someone take the gauntlet and talk to BT wholesale on my behalf?

I didn't ask for the PSTN so why should I be the one that suffers due to it?
Community Veteran

PSTN cease

Jon's talking about BT Retail ;-)

Only you can talk to BT Retail (BTr)

and

Only the ISP can talk to BT Wholesale (BTw)

Damn BT, Damn OFCOM/TEL/Whatever
hiflier
Grafter

PSTN cease

mcgi7tp2

As you are taking over the existing service with the same number, BT should treat this as a "Cease and re-provide with no break in service"
All that happens then is that a reading is taken for the call charging process. this is billed to the original renter (the landlord). Rental already paid for the period after the takeover date will be refunded. New charges will be billed to you.

Is this what has happened?, or has the re-provide part got "lost"
prichardson
Grafter

PSTN cease

Hi,

As noted, there is little and nothing we can do. The little being the advise we have supplied.

The reasons for this are due to the Data Protection Act.

The PSTN Cease is raised by BT, when you take out a new contract (yes, you transfered this, but BT computers see it as a totaly new contract).

We can't talk to BT to stop this, as the cease request is raise under the new contract and not the old one. This leaves us with no authority, as our service was provided under the now non-existant older contract.

The are plenty of other adminastratice headaches that mean even if we could stop them, we are not allowed. This includes things like people being cut-off by BT for not paying the bill.

We don't know the differance though, as we only know that the service is no longer going to be provided, due to a line stop condition.

Sorry we can't be of assistance in this case, as it's very obvious to see what a nightmare this situation is, but we are simply powerless to help.

Kind Regards,
N/A

PSTN cease

mcgi7tp2

As you are taking over the existing service with the same number, BT should treat this as a "Cease and re-provide with no break in service"
All that happens then is that a reading is taken for the call charging process. this is billed to the original renter (the landlord). Rental already paid for the period after the takeover date will be refunded. New charges will be billed to you.

Is this what has happened?, or has the re-provide part got "lost"

That's what we believed should happen, we rang them after our Landlord had given us her details and put a note on the account that the change was acceptable to her.

The guy at BTR even offered us BT Broadband which we said we didn't want as we already had ADSL with plus.net and wanted to stick with them.
N/A

PSTN cease

Sorry we can't be of assistance in this case, as it's very obvious to see what a nightmare this situation is, but we are simply powerless to help.

And I seem powerless to stop it as BTR will not cancel the "PSTN cease" they tell me to talk to Plus.net.

This apparently happens quite regularly, so regularly infact that no-one seems to have a solution to sort it or can provide evidence that it can actually be corrected!