cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POPFile - Bayesian spam filter (brilliant AND it's freeware)

N/A

Have a look at POPFile. This is a Bayesian spam filter which learns (or rather you teach it) as you distinguish between spam and legitimate email. It works well with both big and small Outlooks and with Thunderbird.

I have been using POPFile for over a year now. I enjoy filtering accuracy of 98.31% (and still improving). The author of POPFile, which is freeware by the way, reputedly has insights into the devious workings of the spammer's mind. Random words, poetry; all come the same to POPFile which remorselessly identifies spam. I receive around 100 spam emails each day and POPFile saves heaps of time by providing the necessary addition to the subject line so that Outlook Express filter rules can stick it into an appropriate folder. Everything else is ineffective compared with POPFile. It doesn't need updates because YOU are teaching it and so it adapts to YOUR particular email habits.

The POPFile web site is http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

I must add that I don't ever use sender blocking. POPFile is sooooooo good that blocking is quite unnecessary. Neither do I need to use whitelists.

Smiley
10 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds good, a few questions:

1. Popfile is a proxy, is it sending the mail via a webserver for verification for just locally on your PC.

2. How does it cope with the Spam messages that are primarily images with a little text.

Thanks for the info
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

looks good might give this one a try but to be honest i dont get that much spam on my plus net e mail account
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

How does POPFile work?

POPFile is a proxy which sits between your mail client and your mail server. Commands generated by your email client are passed through POPFile to the email server. As messages are retrieved, POPFile reads incoming messages, tries to classify them to the categories you have defined and then passes them on to your email client.

Email server --> POPFile --> Email client

How does POPFile know how to sort email properly? It uses an old, but powerful mathematical technique known as Bayes Theorem (to be precise, Naïve Bayes created by [Reverend Thomas Bayes] around 1720.)

POPFile breaks down messages into words, parses attachments and filters out HTML, and then uses this algorithm to automatically sort a message into different "buckets" that you have defined. Your email client can then transfer the messages into different mailboxes based on the bucket classification. POPFile learns by determining the messages characteristics associated with each bucket.

will that help you?
DavidHH
Grafter

Re: POPFile - Bayesian spam filter (brilliant AND it's freew

Have a look at POPFile. ... I enjoy filtering accuracy of 98.31% (and still improving).
Smiley

To judge its performance properly we need not one accuracy figure, but two.

First of all there is the percentage of spam emails correctly identified and diverted. Providing that the number retained is substantially reduced, it will be doing a useful job.

On the other hand, there is the percentage of genuine emails correctly identified and retained. This ought to be very close to 100%, otherwise the occasional genuine message which may be of critical importance may be diverted.

Perhaps you won't notice, but if it doesn't seem to have arrived, if you have diverted rather than deleted suspected spam, and you think to check your spam folder, you might find it there among all of the junk.

I would set my desired percentages for retention of genuine emails to 99.99% and for deletion of spam as high as possible without compromising that 99.99% for genuine messages.
shellsong
Grafter

Doesn't ye olde Mailwasher enable you to do Bayesian filtering if you so desire?
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Just to report my experience with this program when I did use it. I was getting high 90's. Think it was something like 97.5% correct!

Don't use it now as I use my domain name for e-mail which is delieverd direct via SMTP to my own server.

Phil
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Just to report my experience with this program when I did use it. I was getting high 90's. Think it was something like 97.5% correct!

Don't use it now as I use my domain name for e-mail which is delieverd direct via SMTP to my own server.

Phil
Njal
Grafter

K9 also has a good reputation:

http://keir.net/k9.html

No personal experience though.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

How does POPFile work?

will that help you?

No not really I already read that from the web, but thanks anyway.
N/A

K9 also has a good reputation:

http://keir.net/k9.html

No personal experience though.

Regards,

Neil

I have heard of K9 but it is this one

http://www.k9webprotection.com/