cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP3 connection problems

familycolvin
Grafter

POP3 connection problems

Normally if I am getting POP3 connection problems I check out the status and discuission pages and find that others are getting them so just wait for PN to sort it.

Today seemingly it is just me. Have put in a ticket at 9:10 but no response as yet. Have tried rebooting Outlook but that did not acheive anything.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Mike
4 REPLIES
N/A

POP3 connection problems

Best you phone CS as they seem to take ages answering tickets online.
In theory it should be quicker than phoning , but as it appears they do not have dedicated staff looking at the tickets (or if they do , not enough) I suppose you have to wait till the phone lines are quiet so taht someone then looks at the tickets!
N/A

POP3 connection problems

If you would like to post more detail, such as any error messages you might be getting or as much info as you can we might be able to help.
familycolvin
Grafter

POP3 connection problems

I followed up on dgkimbers suggestion, got bored hanging on so decided to reboot the whole system (instead of separately taking the line down/back up and rebooting Oultlook) as I had done earlier. This solved the problem. Why I know not.

Since then I have had a response from CS to my ticket suggesting that I should
rebuild my mail profie, which does not make much sense to me since it has not changed since I set it up months ago so what is the point. PN-CS further suggested that I turn off my security system (NIS) which also does not make sense, and which I am most reluctant to do.

Comments from those more knowledgeable than myself on the wisdom of such advice would be appreciated. It smacks of the desperation that I used to get on the Freeserve/Wanadoo help line where it seemd to be pretty standard practice to suggest that you re-install the whole operating system - I felt this was a cross between a punishment for giving them a problem they could not solve in 1 minute flat, plus a way of buying time and getting you off their back. They would almost certainly be off shift by the time you had done that.

The diagnostic was the all too familiar
"Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210Cool : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"

Mike
N/A

POP3 connection problems

Hi there,

The error you were getting is likely down to an issue, well documented, with Outlook and Norton products.

See here for more info.

Whilst the above is the most likely culprit, the fact that your account settings within Outlook may have become corrupted cannot be ruled out.

The advice given by the CSC was in my opinion sound and correct for 1st line support.

Anyhow, that is now irrelevent as the problem is now sorted.

I am not a fan of Norton products. They can somtimes cause more hassle than enough. If, at some point in the future, you get the chance to ditch NIS, do so.

There are many better products available, some of which are even free.