Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POOR SERVICE - WHAT'S GOIN' ON!

N/A

POOR SERVICE - WHAT'S GOIN' ON!

Been with Plusnet since ADSL Self Install went live. Have had a few minor
issues which I did not report because I felt the Self Install services was
in it's infancy and as such prone to a few lesser technical glitches.

However in the past week or so I have had severe connection problems which I
first noticed following a major Plusnet outtage the week prior to that.

I contacted Plusnet Customer Services on 17/04 who asked me to provide
tracelogs etc... The tracelogs showed that it could take upto 700ms to
reach a hop en route to BBC.CO.UK. Plusnet deduced that this was a fault at
the BT end. They referred this to BT. According to Plusnet, BT had found
a fault with a card at their Exchange and the card would either be exchanged
that day or the following.

It's now Sunday and I still cannot connect to ADSL. I have spoken to
customer services on numerous occasions and have met with a barrage of
differing interpretations of the problem at hand. I have not been given any
indication of when my problem may reach a satisfactory conclusion. I have
not been kept informed by Plusnet. It has been stated that I am not
entering my password in the dialup correctly. Had I not had the foresight
to telephone Plusnet, I'd still be hanging on thinking that something was
being done.

The last support person that I spoke to, namely Chris Smith was non too
helpful. He stated categorically that Plusnet were understaffed and did not
have the resources to contact me with an update to my problem. He futher
added that managers would not speak to customers. When I protested at this
remark he went on to add that customers would never be permitted to speak to
a manager or someone senior.

I informed him that I wish to terminate my contract as I refuse to pay for
such poor service. He pointed out that I would be liable for paying the
remainder of my contract. However I dispute that claim. Under UK Consumer
Protection Rights I am afforded some protection in this matter. As a
consumer I am entitled to certain standards of service. The service should
be carried out with reasonable care and skill, within a reasonable time, and
for a reasonable price providing the cost was not agreed beforehand. In my
mind that reasonable time is running out and fast! Plusnet are quick to
take money from my credit card each month but when issues such as this are
abound their non-professionalism shines all too brightly.

I am now left feeling that I may have chosen the wrong provider.

Am I the only one getting no where here?
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: POOR SERVICE - WHAT'S GOIN' ON!

You're not alone. A lot of people are having problems, and feel that nothing is being done about it. The golden answer from Plusnet is always "wait and it will get better". This is not good enough.

The belief that Plusnet listen to and care about their customers is starting to disappear.
Grimbo
Grafter

I think everyone is having problems at the moment, but I think the major ADSL problems Plusnet are having may be putting stress on their support staff.

I doubt whether you would find a better ISP than Plusnet, and although I am the first to complain anout the poor connectivity at the moment - I don't actually think that their personnel can be faulted!
N/A

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular or being personal about the issues, I was speaking about the impression of the company as a whole.

I can say that I am very impressed by the fact that Customer Support do respond to these posts and are efficient in doing so.

> I think everyone is having problems at the moment, but I think the major ADSL problems Plusnet are having may be putting stress on their support staff.
>
> I doubt whether you would find a better ISP than Plusnet, and although I am the first to complain anout the poor connectivity at the moment - I don't actually think that their personnel can be faulted!

N/A

Hi,

Thanks for your postings.
We are aware and apricate the difficulties felt by some of our ADSL users at present. BT are still within thier quoted lead time of 75 days for the new ADSL pipe. We feel that this will resolve the service issues which you are experiencing. The new pipe was ordered with BT when we realised demand for the ADSL service would be high following the price cut earlier this month.

Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ................................ Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support................................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd ........................... http://www.plus.net
+ ---------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------------
N/A

Having been with Plusnet since last September I can say that (until this current round of issues) the service I have receieved has been exceptional - so all credit to them there.
However, now I am in a position where if I can get access to the web servers it is so slow that it's pointless even connecting (<40kbps average). Now that's one thing, but since I've now been told various different excuses for the problem I'm getting a little bored with it all. I have been told to reboot, clear cache's, clear temp files etc.. Right, I'm not being funny here but I've been a developer now for over twenty years, I've run software companies and technical IT helpdesks - it is NOT my machine that's at fault it is PLUSNET. Will someone please admit that to my face, and at least give me some clue as to why they couldn't tell me that in the first place, and when it may be fixed. I can access any other newsgroup at in excess of 300kbps, it's ONLY plusnet I have the problem with (oh, and it seems not to be working at all today (so a whole load of other people are saying).
N/A

Just done a speed test at
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest500.html
and got these results:

489.1 Kbps
59.9 K bytes/sec

Which seems fine to me. My giganews feed is dead, but overall browsing is quick...is this something only affecting some users?

Shaun
Community Veteran

> Just done a speed test at
> http://www.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest500.html
> and got these results:
>
> 489.1 Kbps
> 59.9 K bytes/sec
>
> Which seems fine to me. My giganews feed is dead, but overall browsing is quick...is this something only affecting some users?
>
> Shaun
Try doing the bandwidth test at http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/BandwidthResults.asp and see what results you get.
This site used to tell me that I was downloading at 502k a few weeks ago. But now the results vary down to as low as 120k ?? so something is affecting the download speed.
It has to be congestion on the system and this infernal "Traffic mis management" Huh?

Cry

--
Regards
John
N/A

> Try doing the bandwidth test at http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/BandwidthResults.asp and see what results you get.

Thanks John, I ran this test about 10 times and got wildly varying speeds between 181-454kb/s. One time however it was reported as 1415kb/s!!!
N/A

Dear Users,

As we have stated previously due to the surge of ADSL users taking up the service when the price was reduced, we have found that we can reach capacity at peak times on our ADSL provision.

To address this issue we have on order multiple 155meg fat pipes, which will resolve any speed issues that our users are finding with the service. The lead time on the first of these was 75 days. These pipes are not quick to fit and we are pushing BT to have the pipes installed as quickly as possible. The first additional pipe will be installed by the end of the month, which is not that long away.

We have been forward and honest with all our customers regarding this. We did place the order as soon as it was realised we would require it, and we have pushed BT to move as fast as they can to relieve this issue. As a company we cannot do much more. We ask that our users bare with us, while we have the new capacity installed.

In regards to the quote on staffing levels, it is true that we are currently very busy. Due to the current issues with ADSL and the interest shown in this service following the price cuts by BT, we have found a higher than normal amount of calls and contact us tickets being raised by our customers. Again we are dealing with these as quickly as possible and we feel that as soon as the new pipe is fitted, everyone will find the response times from customer support staff will be back to the normal fast speed.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----